What's new

manifold issue and 5w-30 oil with Marshall honda York

rhinogolf

Members
Reaction score
Car
7th&8th gen tourers
Hi all had Fahad round today for stage1 remap he kindly gave my car a once over and found slight smell from manifold (s****) so phoned honda marshall york were all work gets done told me i would have to pay for it to be put on diagnostic machine even though i know there's no codes as Fahad checked today. Anway im waiting for service manager to phone back, Has my conversation with customer service was a waste of time as they were rude and aggressive and told me it was only covered to 100k and was not a known problem?????? When i corrected him all he could do was say the smell could be coming from anywhere, so i stopped him there and asked to speak with the manager who im still waiting on.So ive been going through service history and i have found on the 50k service they used5w-30 oil on 62.5k service they used 5w-30 oil on the 75k service they used 0w-30, then again on 87.5k used 5w-30 all remaining services been 0w-30 car now got 132k on clock and in my handbook it says only use 0w-30 oil..Im 7k over on manifold warranty but thought with full service history would get helping hand and 7k is only 5weeks driving for me. Obviously the oil is not a factor with the manifold but were do i stand with the oil issue as this could of killed my engine or chain.
regards Dave

Give Honda UK a call and explain this.You might be lucky and get some good will from them.
But be very nice to them as it is out of the warranty so in a nutshell your not covered.

What year is your accord?

Service history is not required for the manifold warranty as its a health and safety issues as long as you are within the 7yrs 120k miles.

What year is your accord?

Service history is not required for the manifold warranty as its a health and safety issues as long as you are within the 7yrs 120k miles.
Andy he has 132k on the clock so fingers crossed.

I had my 2.4 serviced last week at a Honda Main Agent and they used Castrol 0w-30. They even gave me a courtesy 1ltr bottle for topping up the oil during the service interval !!. The interesting thing was that prior to booking into the dealer I called another Honda Main Agent for a price to carry out the same service, their price was cheaper as they were putting in 5w-30 oil ??. It clearly states in the handbook that Honda recommend 0w-30 oil so why some main agents choose to ignore this important detail is strange !?.

With regards to Marshall, the fact that they have been alternating on what grade oil they have been using should strengthen your case, especially if there is no detailed explanation given on the service sheets as to why they did that at the time of servicing ?. I'm sure that Honda UK will not be too pleased to hear of such inconsistence within one of their main dealers. I hope you get a positive outcome on this issue :)

As Brett mentioned best thing is to contact Honda Uk, I'm
Sure they'll help you out, best of luck.

It seems there are a number of main dealers that don't follow the 0W 30 recommendation for the diesel.

Presumably it doesn't automatically mean the engine goes kaput though.

It's not specifically recommended that 0W 30 is used in the petrol like it is for the diesel - having said that you use it and so do I ;)

2006 diesel mine is. Suprise suprise no phone call back. In my handbook states only 0w-30.

Dave - you need to switch dealers mate. There is no diagnostic code in the world that will indicate a cracked manifold!

Dave, I've only used 5w30 for nearly 7 years so I wouldn't worry. Never had any problems...

Gav not worried about the oil ive got a bee in my bonnet over the handbook saying 0w-30 and the main dealers putting something completely different in can you imagine the posts we would get if an independent garage had done that. I pay a high premium for the dealer to service my car for peace of mind £89hr if you read some of my earlier posts you will see ive had 3 clutches since the end of august this year when they put the third in the manager told me they had not been shown how to line the clutch up with a x what that means i dont no. Has what i no about a car you can write on back of a stamp. But when im paying the amount i do you would expect them to. So if any one knows of a good dealer or independent around the York area please let me know. Marshall's have had to much out of me now £1600 clutch mfw £1100 new vsa module also was told would not pass mot without it which was a LIE. Why do i keep going back you will be asking,because they get me back on the road fast and with been a taxi that's what i need.

Best dealer I know of in Yorkshire is Hepworth Honda in Huddersfield mate. Bit of a drive but worth it.

A little update after a talk with the manager this morning who by the way is a really nice chap he has explained to me the oil issue was just down to the technician hitting the wrong button on the computer when doing the service sheet as they do not stock 5w-30 its all 0w -30 and 10w-40 i think he said. Asked me to bring the car in and they will check the manifold FREE of charge and the outcome was don't argue with Fahads nose as manifold is on its way out and there was slight soot build up. Advised me to phone Honda uk myself as i would have more joy with them then he would as the car was 7k over warranty mileage. So phoned Honda and explained the situation and mentioned it just been over the warranty limit was told that's why they have limits??? And they will phone back in 3 working days. So fingers crossed

Yep fingers crossed David there was a case hear last month with an out of warranty claim i will try and find it.

don't argue with Fahads nose

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry if I made you panic mate, but it's better you know rather than not know. Also you are not benefiting properly from any remap with a leaking manifold so get it seen to asap.

Also, I really hope he didn't say 10w40 !!!

Latest update Honda uk phoned back within 30mins and have agreed to give me new manifold but i have to pay for the labour which they say is 5half hours so hopefully the dealer will do the labour half price as they did with the vsa module. So will be on to them when i get up. Otherwise going to be a £500 touch. Can any1 tell me if i have to use same dealer or can i use any.
Fahad no you did not panic me you did me a big favour by the time id have noticed the manifold id have put another 10-15k on the car.Then i would imagine Honda would of washed there hands with me, i searched the forums and some1 had same miles as me and Honda gave them no help.

Good news on Huk that's about the best deal you will get.
As long as its a main dealer you can use any I would say.
It might be worth giving HH a call to see there quote to give you an idear.

Agreed with Brett, I would try and take it down to Stoke for the job and see if you can arrange a favourable rate.. but speak to your own dealer once at least, afterall you've already put so much business their way.

Sounds like a good result to me. Hope you get a decent rate on the labour.

The Marshall group (my local Honda dealer) were unhelpful when my manifold was needing to be checked, they wanted to charge me £90 to check it. They also wanted to charge me £35 for wipers despite they are only £25 under Honda Happiness. So I ended up at HH for both.

The other day my brother called to ask me if the price seemed right for his Civic needing pads and possibly discs as Marshall Honda were telling him that he needs new discs and pads, despite the discs being well within tollerance. The wanted to charge him £270 for discs and pads (£250 under happiness) and when I told him to only get pads they have told him its £112 for rear pads and £120 for rear despite the fact its only £105 under happiness. The motto seems to be that some dealers dont follow Honda happiness unless you know about it and take it up with them. Shocking!

Right just come of phone with Honda Marshalls York after talking with the manager he told me this is a very difficult job and would take all day roughly 5 an half hours,he also said if i wanted he would order the part and i could take it to another dealer or even independent garage if i was unhappy with the work they had carried out in the past, but he hoped it would not come to that,(which i was surprised to hear) i replied im not unhappy with the work they had done in the past the 2 faulty clutches that could of happened to anyone,could i actually blame them for that im not sure. I explained i was unhappy with the customer service as it felt i was talking to a brick wall and got to the point i dreaded phoning. Anyway i suggested they carry the work out over the xmas period when they will be at there quietest and do at a reduced hourly fee £54hr instead of £89hr which he was happy with. So when part comes we will arrange a convenient date for us both.

Good result i hope all goes well with the repairs.

Dave, that's not a bad result and above all it means your relationship with the dealership is heading in the right direction.

I would echo all the HH advice from above...

It would have been a near 400mile round trip for me to go to HH and get my manifold changed...
well i took it to my local dealer and it took them 3 times to get it right..... its sorted now but i wish it was right first time.

if i could relive those days i would have booked a hotel and driven up to stoke and got it done at HH

doh, on mobile, so didnt see your update! nice result with you local dealer. its very nice of them to do the reduced labour :D

cheers i hope it does not take 3 visits to get right,is the manifold a difficult job???

cheers i hope it does not take 3 visits to get right,is the manifold a difficult job???

David

are they saying 5.5hrs of work? under warranty honda give a garage 3 hrs
HH did mine last week in 2.5hrs....it can be a pig of a job if the bolts are rusted in but 5.5hrs is a bit much

The Marshall group (my local Honda dealer) were unhelpful when my manifold was needing to be checked, they wanted to charge me £90 to check it. They also wanted to charge me £35 for wipers despite they are only £25 under Honda Happiness. So I ended up at HH for both.

The other day my brother called to ask me if the price seemed right for his Civic needing pads and possibly discs as Marshall Honda were telling him that he needs new discs and pads, despite the discs being well within tollerance. The wanted to charge him £270 for discs and pads (£250 under happiness) and when I told him to only get pads they have told him its £112 for rear pads and £120 for rear despite the fact its only £105 under happiness. The motto seems to be that some dealers dont follow Honda happiness unless you know about it and take it up with them. Shocking!

At those prices for pads, I ***ume it's a Type-R?

Dear Malik,

Thank you for your email dated the 30/11/2011, i am sorry for the delay in
replying to you but i was away on Paternity leave.

I am sorry to hear that you are having these problems still.

In relation to your cracked Manifold, Honda (UK) some time ago issued an
extended warranty on Accord diesel models which included 04 - 08 models.
The warranty was extended to 7 years or 125'000 miles which ever came
first.

I am sorry to say but due to the mileage of your Accord you are
approximately 60'000 miles over the extension limit which means we are not
able to ***ist with the repair, it is Honda (UK) policy not to extend and
extension.

I note from your email that you suggest that the cracked manifold is a
health and safety risk, i can inform you that we work very closely with
VOSA who would with ***istance from Honda (UK) ultimately decide if the
manifold issue was a safety recall. I can confirm that this is not the
case, VOSA are aware of the issue and have not deemed it to be a risk to
safety.

The VOSA consumer guide defines a safety defect as:

A feature of design or construction which is liable to cause significant
risk of personnel injury or death
An issue that happens suddenly and without warning
Steering components that break suddenly, resulting in partial or
complete loss of control
Air bags that deploy under conditions for which they are not intended to
deploy
Problems with the fuel system components that can result in leakage of
fuel and may cause fire
Child car seats that may be defective
A defective tyre that may suddenly fail.

I trust that the above information clears up your concerns and reassures
you that Honda (UK) take safety issues very seriously and work closely with
VOSA to resolve and ***ist our customers where required in situations such
as this.

I note from your email you also mention you have a problem with the
Alternator belt, and tensioner. Honda (UK) has no extended warranties for
these particular items, due to the mileage of your Accord and the fact it
is approximately 6 years outside of its manufacturers warranty Honda (UK)
can not ***ist with any repair costs.

I would recommend approaching your Honda dealership in order that repairs
can be affected.

Kind Regards,

Customer Relations - Cars
Customer & Aftersales
Honda (UK)

Telephone: 0845 200 8000

Technically a correct response, but the spirit of goodwill is seriously lacking there as the manifold is a well known problem and the mileage limit shouldn't really apply here. But with 60k over, there's not much hope bro.