Manufacturer Advisory Light - Emissions

dainesefreak

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord 2.2
Hi all

I'm hoping someone can help.

My wife has a 55 plate 2.2 diesel that has started to become jerky/lumpy when driven. It has been into two Honda dealers who have both been fairly useless, the last one suggested that it was dirty fuel. Needless to say the tank run off and been refilled a few times with Shell V Power diesel and various others to see if it cures the problem and it hasn't. Today she actually had to pull over onto the hard shoulder of the motorway as it had got so bad and she says the "Manufacturer Advisory Light - Emissions" came on??

The car has supposedly been hooked up and diagnosed by two dealerships and neither have found and sorted the problem.

Anyone have any ideas? I have been Googling and can't find too much about the emissions light. Could this be a CO2 Sensor problem or am I way off?

Fuel filter?

Almost certainly a blocked fuel filter. Have it replaced with a genuine Honda item, don't use a copy part. If that doesn't cure it, then it's probably a sticking EGR valve.

Where are you located in the UK?

And more importantly was it serviced at Honda, or at least using a Honda filter rather than a bluprint type?

//edit: dang me being in the slow readers group!

Thanks for the replies chaps.

It has always been Honda serviced, she's a bit fanatical about keeping the history spot on.

We're in the West Mids. The annoying thing is it's off soon as it's just been px'd and it hasn't missed a beat over the past four years until now.

Will check the last time the filter was replaced and go from there.

If the MIL is on, then it must have a code mate. What's the error code?

If the MIL is on, then it must have a code mate. What's the error code?

I will hopefully get some more info out of her when she gets home, but I don't have a code reader so it will more than likely go back into the dealership. Hopefully they will be able to diagnose it this time, they said that there was nothing showing up last time. I will get her to go through the service book and receipts to see when the Filter was last changed and by who.

I know you've had had a garage look at it, but if the light came on then the relevent code should have been stored in the ECU, even if the warning light is now off. Can't you get someone else with an OBD2 code reader to hook it up and see if they can read a code for you? That could be very useful information before you go changing one thing then another (although I do agree that the fuel filter is a likely candidate).

Where are you in the W Mids? I'm near Ludlow and could connect my reader to it.

A kind offer that should be taken up ;)

I know you've had had a garage look at it, but if the light came on then the relevent code should have been stored in the ECU, even if the warning light is now off. Can't you get someone else with an OBD2 code reader to hook it up and see if they can read a code for you? That could be very useful information before you go changing one thing then another (although I do agree that the fuel filter is a likely candidate).

Where are you in the W Mids? I'm near Ludlow and could connect my reader to it.

Thanks for the kind offer Jon, but she's wanting to get it sorted asap as her Dad's currently seriously ill in hospital and travelling backwards and forwards to Nottingham every day at the minute. Knowing her as I do she will want it in at the garage and sorted tomorrow morning. I'm was sort of looking for something to go in there with to make sure they sort it properly this time. Obviously I'll make sure they hook it up and pull the code off first.

I think I'll get a Code Reader bought too, it's always something useful to have in the garage.

Ok so I might be waiting to find out more as she has just called and said she's waiting for the AA as the car just lost power and she had to coast it into a lay-by. Apparently the VSA light came on and went off this time too.

Does sound like the fuel filter needs replacing. Only replace with a genuine though.

Ok so I might be waiting to find out more as she has just called and said she's waiting for the AA as the car just lost power and she had to coast it into a lay-by. Apparently the VSA light came on and went off this time too.

Well the AA should be able to produce a code which will give an "idea" as to where the problem is.

Well the AA should be able to produce a code which will give an "idea" as to where the problem is.

Ok thought this had gone but it's started again.

AA man came out and had a fiddle with the TPS unit, said it didn't seem to be plugged in fully, gave it a push and everything seemed good.

Since then is has started again and gradually got worse. I have pulled the connector apart and given it a blast (both ends) with some CO2 and WD40 and reconnected it, it connects tight and seems to stay tight. She took it out for a quick spin and said it seemed ok. I told her to take it out again a few hours later to check and it was back again. I'm thinking the AA bloke might have been lucky and it reset with the ignition being off for a while.

Having checked with the Honda dealer who did the service in May, they say the Fuel Filter was replaced and the car has only done a couple of thousand miles since. I also bought a OBD reader and plugged it in but there are no stored codes.

So after an argument this morning about how useless the local dealer is, she has gone and booked it back in for them to look at. Unfortunately I have no faith in the dealer as they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it last time they had it. In fact they charged for the diagnostic and said it was probably dodgy fuel. It's always filled at branded petrol stations, has had at least 6-7 refills since and even been run on Shell V-Power.

Most annoying part is that she's had the car for about 3 years with no problems at all and when it's due to be px'd in a couple of weeks time it started playing up.