What's new

Max loading weight - only 450 kg ?

Jamie91

Members
Reaction score
Car
2005 iCDTI Saloon
Handbook says max weight is 1970 kg. Give my diesel weighs ~1520 kg unladen, does that mean the Accord can only carry 450 kg of load ?

That seems very modest to me. Carry five average sized 90 kg men and then they can't legally carry any luggage.

Last weekend I carried 500 kg of passengers & luggage oops.. Thought that was well within the limits but apparently not

I imagine it would be a squeeze to get three 14 stone adults across the back seat of many average cars.

Is the weight shown in the handbook an actual legal restriction which VOSA could enforce, or is it just an advisory figure? I'd be interested to know that if anyone knows.

On a tangent my Isuzu is a grey import, so the DVLA won't technically have official figures for it. As the VIN plate gives no indication of the MAM, and the owners manual is in Japanese, how would they enforce the MAM if they were to stick me on a weigh bridge...

Jon_G said:
You weigh your passengers and their luggage? Or do they have to 'self-certify'?
Just rough estimations

Me 110kg, 100 kg, 80 kg, 65 kg, 60 kg, 55 kg, 20 kg

(carried a 6th person for a very short trip)

Is it not a calculation on the average weight of a person being 80kgs? This is most commonly seen on lifts where you see something like max load 10 persons (800 kgs). Statistically speaking you will have an average load with 10 people, but 10 people is just uncomfortable.

So, if the Accord can take 5 people at 80kgs each, that 400kgs with 50kgs of luggage and there's your 450kgs.

FWIW, I've transported a team of 5 men where I was the smallest (I'm 6'2" and 92kgs) and sports equipment and we certainly blew that 450kg limit. Have to admit the Accord's rear was dragging low.

jayok said:
Is it not a calculation on the average weight of a person being 80kgs? This is most commonly seen on lifts where you see something like max load 10 persons (800 kgs). Statistically speaking you will have an average load with 10 people, but 10 people is just uncomfortable.

So, if the Accord can take 5 people at 80kgs each, that 400kgs with 50kgs of luggage and there's your 450kgs.

FWIW, I've transported a team of 5 men where I was the smallest (I'm 6'2" and 92kgs) and sports equipment and we certainly blew that 450kg limit. Have to admit the Accord's rear was dragging low.
But the Accord isn't a small car so I was surprised it can't take more than that. Would have thought that something Jazz sized would be good for 450 kg, the Civic a bit more and the Accord considerably more. You can see in the below pic how low it was riding with 3 in the back, 1 in the trunk plus luggage. Standard suspension set up.
lepm.jpg

Yeah that looks about right. Bear in mind the springs are progressive in the Accord, so the first drop is significant.

Re the 450kgs, I'd actually argue that the Accord isn't a big car! If you take a look at the rear legroom, the Civic and CRV gives more space! Also, the towing limit of the Accord isn't great either. (I think it's about 1,050kgs)

Anyhow the main thing is that it'll stop! And 450kgs is way below the max braking limit of the brakes.

6'4" and 103 kg. Me and drums/cases in car settle it nicely, but it's nowhere near the 450 limit. Closer to 300 all in! Definitely smoother ride(bit more roll!) :blink:

5'7" and somewhere between 8.5-9 stone. Yeah, I'm a little, skinny dude :rolleyes: . Needless to say, with me at the wheel, you can still really load up my Accord with weight! :lol:

Lol...Stevo's just over half my weight....and I ain't that fat. Been doing weights for 30 years, just starting to slow down......

Better half is his weight and I think there is some sag my side... :p

Jon_G said:
I'm 6'2'' and 98kg/15.5st... are all TA members a bit 'plus sized'?
6'8 and 17st glad it's only my daughter of 2 years who sit behind me! Otherwise not a lot of room.

jayok said:
I'd actually argue that the Accord isn't a big car! If you take a look at the rear legroom, the Civic and CRV gives more space! Also, the towing limit of the Accord isn't great either. (I think it's about 1,050kgs)
Although the car is much bigger than the Civic (7th Gen), especially the Tourer, I was surprised at how little space there is for leg room in the rear. The Civic we have has lots of room and by not having a centre console makes it even more spacious. Maybe they should have made the boot slightly smaller and moved the rear seats back.

New personal best tonight: 550 kg of passengers

Felt as if it has never been remapped :p

jayok said:
Yeah that looks about right. Bear in mind the springs are progressive in the Accord, so the first drop is significant.

Re the 450kgs, I'd actually argue that the Accord isn't a big car! If you take a look at the rear legroom, the Civic and CRV gives more space! Also, the towing limit of the Accord isn't great either. (I think it's about 1,050kgs)

Anyhow the main thing is that it'll stop! And 450kgs is way below the max braking limit of the brakes.
Towing limit of (Tourer) is 1500kgs. I have taken 2 people, about 12 spare wheels, tools etc, a 375 kg trailer, with an MR2 track car on it, to several track days. Obviously you can feel the weight, but other than wheelspin from stationery, I had no dramas. Sat at 60 and all is well.