What's new

misfire at tickover

noely02

Members
Reaction score
Car
1.8 vtec sport
hi all,

my accord has always had a lumpy tickover, but recently its been getting worse, i have changed the pugs, distributor cap and rotor arm, plug leads, air filter and done the valve clearances.

all the parts were either o.e.m or blueprint

the egr was cleaned out and fuel filter changed a year or so ago, so i'm at a loss for where to check next, lambda sensor, knock sensor or ant other elctronicy detectory thing plugged into the engine that could be on its way out?

i don't want to just start replacing parts at random, if possible i would like to do a bit of diagnosis 1st, i know plugging in an o.b.d. thing might help, but unfortunately my accord is one without the proper connector behind the flap in the centre console and from what iv'e read on here the 5 pin to o.b.d. is a no go.

The Idle Air Control Valve is often a candidate for a lumpy tickover, however a friend of mine with a 6th Gen got his diagnosed as a faulty injector so that might be the next place(s) to look.

i'll have a look at the iac valve, can't remember if i cleaned it when i did the egr, but when i did do the egr i gave the injectors a good blast of carb cleaner

got the iac off, must have cleaned it last time, but cleaned it some more anyway while it was off, made no difference.

You might have a vacuum leak somewhere, that could cause idle problems...

Vac leak potetially.

If i recall the IAC valve on these is a paint to get to, how didn you remove it? Its on the back of the intake right with limited space?

i had a look at all the pipework and nothing obvious jumped out at me, but when i get some time it wont hurt for me to re check that they all are fitted properly.

yep, well if i got the right thing off, the 1 nut is easy to get to but the other is a proper pita, luckily i have a few spanners i have cut down over the years and 1 fitted, didn't stop me dropping the nut when taking it off, or again when re fitting <_<

still annoying me that I've put new parts on that should cure a misfire not make one

The brake servo is driven by vacuum. It could have a minor internal leak which doesn't affect's the braking performance, but messes up the idle speed.
Remove the hose that goes from the intake manifold to the brake servo and tap it with something, just to see if it makes any difference.

Apologies for the big delay, been messing with my temperamental Italian 2 stroke motorcycle instead of the accord...

Checked the vacuum pipework and blocked it up as suggested with no improvement.

Any more ideas please?

A while ago I was contacted by a guy in other forum due to irregular idle speed and some rough running under 2000rpm.
After much fiddling around, he took it to a friend which was a Honda mechanic, they started to dissemble the engine, and they got to the conclusion that the camshaft was worn-out. I am not sure, but I guess he replaced the camshaft and the problem got solved.

I guess it's not easy to damage the camshaft, unless you run without oil or forget to replace it for a long time... I have no idea how to check if that could be the culprit, but I guess that you would have to take it out and make proper measurements.

thanks,

well when i did the clearances the camshaft looked ok, no pitting or visible wear marks, be a right pain to take it all apart to measure, and where would i get the info of what the cam profile would/should be?

Air in the cooling system can cause idle issues, but I think its usually when its warm, but worth bleeding to see if it makes a difference.

just a little update

i haven't been driving the accord much, been using the bike, but as the mot is due decided to give it a bit of a run and noticed the exhaust was blowing, on investigation its the downpipe, where the flexible part goes into the cat.

usually i don't mind having a go at stuff, but upon seeing how rusted up the bolts were i passed it onto my local garage, and it was a swine, had 4 of them on it at one point, heat, impact drivers, industrial swearing.....

end result, misfire is gone and a few of the other rattle the car makes have gone too.

Nice to know that, mine goes lumpy at some rpms sometimes, and i saw that the flexible it´s not a its best, got to give it a try.