What's new

Mixing Aspec and Eibach suspension

Monks

Admin / Co-Founder
Reaction score
Car
-
Well we tried what CJ suggested which was get some weight on front end and tighten suspension bolts, basically preloading the bushes beyong that of what the natural weight would. This dropped the car a bit around 5mm but I was not happy loading the bushes in such a way, when we undid them the spring back was enough to convince me this was not the way forward. I doubt the poor bushes would have lasted too long with such a unnatural loading.

So I stripped out both struts and we compared stock with aspec and with eibach springs. What was noticable was that stock and aspec dampers are the same height and share the same bump stops and top hats. The rebound by hand is different so all the aspec "magic" if thats the right word is on the inside. The aspec springs are normal type where as the eibach are progressive design, the aspec compared to stock are alot stiffer and a fair bit stiffer than the eibachs. This would ring true on the road as I found aspec to be alot harder ride than with the eibach springs, aspec is the same whatever kind of predictable but hard, eibach due to progressive nature tend to stiffen up all of a sudden which also gives a softer ride for the most part.

So in the end we decided to do a two week period of testing with eibach springs on the aspec dampers, its early days but so far its looking very promising indeed. For the record on the rear it was all nice and easy ASPEC and Eibach springs are the same length and not real difference in stiffness either. Also rear dampers look identical and rebound speed was the same as well. So I decided to keep ASPEC kit on the back whilst I test out the eibach springs upfront on aspec dampers.

All in all havent been that impressed with ASPEC kit, I think if I had gone from stock to ASPEC it would have been great. But having gone from eibach springs the difference wasnt so visible and both options give advantages over the other IMO.

So we will see how it all goes over the next few weeks, I will report back.

Very interesting!

Will be interesting to know the cost benefits if mixing the two... I always thought the aspec rears to be very harsh, and the fronts just that little stiffer than stock.

Honestly though I have forgotten what stock was like. I seem to remember it being surprisingly firm though.

Andy this is great feedback and very interesting.Is this front hight difference just on to tourer or saloon as well.
I think your doing the old method of process of elimination sometimes the only way to get the correct balance.

Very interesting! Will be interesting to know the cost benefits if mixing the two... I always thought the aspec rears to be very harsh, and the fronts just that little stiffer than stock.

Honestly though I have forgotten what stock was like. I seem to remember it being surprisingly firm though.

This is the problem mate everyones experience is not the same for example CJ is uber happy with his tourer aspec. As far as cost benefit is concerned there is and will be no benefit what so ever, Im only doing all this as Im in for a penny in for a pound. I should have simply gone Koni adjustables with eibach springs or KW coilovers but hey ho you live and learn dont ya.

Also its still being tested so it may be over the coming weeks I find the combo lacking on different road types. In which case I will no doubt find myself jacking up the car again :rolleyes:

Andy this is great feedback and very interesting.Is this front hight difference just on to tourer or saloon as well.
I think your doing the old method of process of elimination sometimes the only way to get the correct balance.

I dont think so Brett, Faddy has ASPEC and it looks spot on to me.

Wow just caught up with this, very very interesting stuff indeed.

Andy, any chance you could start a new thread and keep a diary of your experience/findings.. Although an expensive method, I think possibly mixing the two in the way you are will create the ultimate strut solution for the 7th gen ;)

You could always sell your old A Spec coils to someone to use over standard struts for a halfway house solution.

New topic to chart findings of aspec / eibach hybrid suspension.

I think Andy you might have created a new generation of suspension :) As Fahad said mix an match to create the ultimate.
I will be watching this with great interest ;)

Wow just caught up with this, very very interesting stuff indeed.

Andy, any chance you could start a new thread and keep a diary of your experience/findings.. Although an expensive method, I think possibly mixing the two in the way you are will create the ultimate strut solution for the 7th gen ;)

You could always sell your old A Spec coils to someone to use over standard struts for a halfway house solution.

Good idea all moved now mate.

Yes I will probably offer them for sale once Ive established a combo works or doesnt as the case may be. If the fronts work out okay I will change over to eibach springs on rear and see how that works.

I personally love my A Spec and have covered mega miles in them now... BUT I totally believe that there is always room for improvement. Afterall, the fun in car ownership is all about making it personal to your taste and liking.. Honda are fantastic engineers, but they work on creating the best product for the masses, not the individual.

How's this going Andy? Keen to hear your thoughts!

How's this going Andy? Keen to hear your thoughts!
Well it’s been a while now and some further changes have been made as well. The front has proved to be a complete success which I’m really pleased about. When I say success I’m relating to my driving style and how I want the car to look.

Last weekend I decided to strip the rear out completely and make a proper comparison between spring and damper. This was due to the fact I was still finding the ride noticeably harsh and knew it could not be the front set up any longer.

Having removed the rear springs what I noticed I could not see before is that the APSEC springs are actually slightly progressive where as the eibach ones are not. This is the complete opposite to the fronts where the Ebiachs are progressive and the APSEC are not. I could not see this before as it’s only the bottom two coils that give it away and they were hidden by the spring pan.

The dampers did not feel much different between APEC and STD. The STD felt a bit weaker but hey they have done 60k miles and the ASPEC ones about 2k miles. So I decided to put the rear Eibach springs in and ASPEC dampers. Interesting that the rear now sits 3.5mm higher than it did before with the ASPEC springs.

The look overall is really well balanced and exactly what I wanted, I just could not cope with the monster truck front and low rear any longer. More importantly it’s all matched well now and the rear harshness I felt has completely gone.

I much prefer the progressive nature at the front it’s nice and comfortable but stiffens up when needed; this I appreciate would not be to everyone’s tastes. I can’t say this is an economical process I’ve been thru at all and if I knew then what I know now my choices would have been very different.

Great update... where do you find the time to do all this mate??

Very interesting bud. I am happy to live with my high nose... Especially with my clutch problems.

I think I agree that I wouldn't go the pure A-spec route knowing what we now know.

great stuff andy, and a rep point coming your way bud for all the work and great report on the finding,agree with the others you could end up with the perfect setup :)