What's new

Mixing oil brands?

tbourner

TAF Member
Reaction score
Car
Abarth 595
So I've still got some Castrol Edge oil in a bottle, probably 500ml. I was going to top up the bottle from the Exol 25l drum so that I've got a bottle full in the car.
Is this Ok? They're obviously both 0w30 and I think both fully synthetic, just different brands.

dont know about diesels but i would not mix up different oils in my car.

for the sake of 500ml.

many ppl says u can cause of some numbers (specs). I think as long as u stay at same number, u can mix it. I remember when i was changing from castrol to shell. I let it "drop out", close (i mean oil screw), refill with new (about 4 litres) let run 10 secs, open (unbolt screw). top up with new and u are done. I wanted to get rid of that castrol s***. There is another way by using petroleum but its kinda expensive. Its up to u. With petroleum u are sure that oil is completely washed away :) or another extreme way by dismantling whole engine :D good luck buddy

Trev I can't see any issues as long it's the same grade oil of 0W-30 fully synthetic which it is.
Iv done this in my car as I always use 5W-30 silcoine pro and had to get some oil for a top up and used castrol of the same grade.

I mixed exol 0-30 with castrol edge 0-30.No problems.

Hmm some mixed opinions! Where's Oilman when you need him :D

I did an oil change at the weekend anyway so it's topped up with all Exol at the moment, might hold off on filling up the spare bottle for now.

If you'd just bought a car and it needed topping up, then how could you possibly know what oil to use? How could any garage simply top-up a vehicle that they hadn't recently serviced?

Stop worrying, oils are designed to be compatible and mix safely, even mineral with synthetic types. Only one person here believes it might be a problem, everyone else knows it won't!

I've never worried about brands, I just put in whatever I have available as long as it's the recommended grade. So far so good, in a variety of different petrol and diesel engines :)

My Civic is currently burning oil at an alarming rate, so I don't even do that the decency of keeping the grades the same, it just get's whatever is going :lol: It had 3 grades of oil, one semi and two fully synth, in it at once a couple of months ago when Halfords was shut and it needed oil!! So far it's not dead. I wouldn't advise doing this to a healthy engine though - this is a unit that I know I will definitely be replacing in the near future ;) But as my mechanic pointed out, in an emergency any form of lubrication is better than no lubrication at all.

Only difference will probably be what additives each have, cant imagine it being an issue, although I would never mix myself.