What's new

Mk8 Lurker.

Perkins254

Reaction score
Car
2.2 i-DTEC EX Tourer
Afternoon all.

I've been lurking for a couple of months, but it's starting to look like the 8th Gen Tourer I bought is a bit of a dog, so I'm going to need all the help I can get. :rolleyes:

I've already remedied some small issues using the posts in this forum, it really is a great pool of knowledge. So, thank you to any posters who have unknowingly stopped me pulling my hair out so far.

Liam.
'58 2.2 i-DTEC EX Tourer.

Where to start?

Tailgate refused to remain open, reached about 2/3rds then beeped and closed as though the motor were under too much strain. Replaced the gas-struts as that seemed the obvious answer, but still does it, albeit intermittently.

Chasing a knocking in the front end. So far, I've replaced the droplinks, the roll-bar bushings and the upper control arms - both sides. All of which had movement in them, but still getting what's becoming an aggressive knocking/vibrating at slow speeds on moderately bumpy roads and now when braking. Going to get her back on stands this week and check the lower control arm bushings and lower ball joint again, but both of these seemed fine when doing the uppers.

Took it for a blast this morning to try and get an ear for the knocking sound, and the clutch started slipping in 4th & 5th. Only briefly, when overtaking.

Air-con leak.

Sunroof needs 2 people to close it.

That's off the top of my head. :rolleyes:

Knocking sounds like a loose brake pad to me..

Hadn't considered brake hardware. Will check pads and caliper bolts also. Thanks F6HAD.

Aircon leak.

Winter is coming so no need for another five months or so.

Clutch slip.

Try the kerb dump to take off the glaze, worked for me.

Yeah, the air-con can be a slow labour of love. I've ordered some dye and my dad has a big can of nitrogen, I'll flush that through and keep my fingers crossed it's a hose and not compressor/condenser.

What's the "kerb dump" trick?

Long-term, I'd planned to upgrade the clutch anyway and remap. However, the wife's only just returned to work after mat-leave, so could do with postponing a big spend. If your method at least buys me 6 months, I'm open to it.

Put the front wheels up against a kerb and engage first or second for a while, engage/releasing the peal without actually climbing onto the pavement.

If you have a towbar you can also do it in reverse against your neighbour's house.