What's new

Mot failed compliance bush on lower front wishbone collapsed.

tony32

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord CTDI
New compliance bush on order from Honda and should be in today, didn't want to replace to complete lower arm as the other bushes are ok and the bush only costs 20quid. Will be a late one tonight as it's booked in for a retest tomorrow, and I get back from London about 6pm :D Will take some pics as it comes apart.

it will need to be pressed into the arm, quite a tough one mate.... hope you get it done and pass the MOT :)

it will need to be pressed into the arm, quite a tough one mate.... hope you get it done and pass the MOT :)

Yeah will be using my press or I will make a puller, it has to get done as the missus needs the car.

Wife's just picked up the bush from the dealer £19.04 bargain, thats less than I was quoted for a blue print one..

what does this affect when its worn? knocks or anything, good luck with the MOT

I was told to put them in the freezer before hand and they shrink very slightly and a tiny bit easier to press in.

what does this affect when its worn? knocks or anything, good luck with the MOT

Will take a pic of my failed one, do get a random knock every now and then, probably messing up the geometry of the suspension too.

Tony, if you can do a full write up that will be great - we can add it to the DIY section. Be sure to take lots of pics mate, and best of luck!

Well it's all done, bit of a pain due to a rusty bolt that hold the compliance bush in but other than that pretty straight forward.

You can see the problem with the bush in this pic, the arm is resting on the subframe. :eek:

IMAG0248.jpg

So car jacked up and on an axel stand, I gave all the bolts a liberal spray with ptfe as it's not been apart for 140k by the looks of it, and removed the lower arm.

Passed it's best.

IMAG0249.jpg

I used some heat on the arm to remove the remains of the old bush.

IMAG0250.jpg

New frozen bush.

IMAG0251.jpg

Pressed in the new bush making sure it's in the correct position.

IMAG0253.jpg

Reassembled in the reverse order, job done :D

Awesome when you know how. Another great contribution to our knowledge base, nice work Tony.

How hard was it to press it in? How does the car feel now?

I think Bobby's suggestion of putting the bush in the freezer helped as the 'home made' press had no problem pushing the new bush in, the car felt ok before but did notice some torque steer when giving it some, but now's it's perfect just feels planted. So if anyone else notices their car trying to pull to one side or the other when giving some beans get on your knees and check the compliance bush has not separated.

Just need to replace a rear number plate bulb and it's ready for the mot, are they easy to swap?

Yes Anthony, just remove the body colour trim, pry it carefully from one edge and it will just unclip, then the two bulbs are in a plastic casing, from the side of the casing with the lip push inwards towards the lipped edge and the plastic holder will come out, then simply push in the two clips to get to the actual bulb and swap over thats all. 5 min job, seems a bit hard to explain but when you get to it youll understand lol

oh and btw fantastic job mate :)

I think if you can manage that bush.. a number plate bulb should be just about ok for your limited skills :lol:

Any pics of your home made press?

I think if you can manage that bush.. a number plate bulb should be just about ok for your limited skills :lol:

Any pics of your home made press?

Haven't taken any pics as it's a bit Heath Robinson, but it's basically an old bottle jack and some scaffold tube welded into a box, does the job

Thats the next thing to do in my car as the last time I checked the bush was slightly cracked. Thanks mate it will be easy now:D

Thats the next thing to do in my car as the last time I checked the bush was slightly cracked. Thanks mate it will be easy now:D

Just make sure you order the bush a few days before you want to do it as they don't seem to keep them on the shelf.
Car now has an mot :D

Can these bushes be fitted using a vice?? How much disaasembly is required to get the lower arm off?? Is it just the 3 bolts???

Can these bushes be fitted using a vice?? How much disaasembly is required to get the lower arm off?? Is it just the 3 bolts???

Don't know if it's possible with a vice, but I bet with a good hammer you should be able to remove them and fit the new ones, although it's not going to be easy.

You have to remove the nut from the lower ball joint, the separate it from the knuckle, remove the bolt the attaches the shock to the lower arm, and then the other two bolts in the rear of the arm. I guess it's just that.

The main issues I had when I changed mine were that the Stabiliser links were corroded and one of the split pins that slot through the castle nut was completely corroded. In the end I had to get it on a ramp for the split pin to be drilled out!

If you get the lower arm off, just take it to a friendly mechanic for them to replace.

I cannot see you getting them out with a hammer. You can melt the rubber and cut through the outer ring!