What's new

Mounting a K&N Filter to the stock intake hose?

Stevearcade

TA Friend
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
2003 Accord CM2
So I'm seriously considering getting a K&N filter and popping it on the existing air inlet hose as I can't justify the money for a short ram intake, but like the idea getting a couple more mpg and a little more pull in the low rev range, as well as the noise and under bonnet bling ;) . The only thing is I don't know how best to fit it. The K&N Filters all have hose clamp fittings from what I can see, meaning they slot over a pipe and clamp on.

See this diagram here, you'll see the box with the filter in has a bit of solid plastic pipe coming off it that slots inside the flexible air pipe to the throttle body. The flexible air pipe is, well, soft and flexible and designed to have things slotting in it, not clamped over the outside of the pipe and I can't see how a K&N Filter will clamp onto it with any success.

Now the whole thing that got me going on this was this article. You don't need to read the whole thing, but near the bottom, he says how he used a small piece of cut to size guttering pipe that fitted in just right to act as a go-between the filter and the stock pipe, meaning the clamp could mount fine.

Now, on one hand, I think wow, that's great. On the other I think to myself, do I really want to have guttering playing a key part in my 2.4L baby :unsure: .

Anyone running a K&N Filter on the stock pipe and if so how have you mounted it? Or has anyone got any ideas how I could mount it a little more legitimately than using guttering down-pipe. Or better still, anyone want to put my mind at ease and tell me the guttering is an ideal solution :lol: .

Thanks in advance.

:)

emptypockets(3).jpg

know the feeling mate!
let me do some research for you ;)

:lol: Legendary

thumbsup.gif

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=6532

and the best find yet was this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDOHTlE2pg8

TBH it made me feel cheap when I typed in DIY short Ram intakes and all honda sites came up, shame on us :(

:lol: Cheers Dude. There's some interesting things here though. I love the paint can idea :lol:

Maybe the drainpipe solution isn't so bad after all. I can get a piece for about £2 from B&Q, cut it to size, file it smooth etc to fit perfect and then just clamp the filter to it ;) .

You might get away with just clamping the filter to the original breather hose if it has a round cross section at the end, this was how my Prelude was when I bought it and it was fine

9ad1c47a.jpg

For about £70 in materials you can buy piping, silicone joiners, jubilee clips and a k&n filter all from ebay and make your own cold air induction kit. You'll need to cut the piping to fit though but its possible as i know someone who's done it on a CL9

So, is that just the filter pushed inside the rubber hose and the rubber hose clamped tight with one of them screw hose clamp things?

For about £70 in materials you can buy piping, silicone joiners, jubilee clips and a k&n filter all from ebay and make your own cold air induction kit. You'll need to cut the piping to fit though but its possible as i know someone who's done it on a CL9

Mate, you just gave me an epiphany. I just searched 70mm pipe on eBay and I got loads of results specific to car applications, mostly air intakes ;) . The thing that bothered me about the drain pipe solution was how good it would be with the heat. For a fiver, I can buy a piece of heat resistant silicone tubing capable of 180 degrees operating temperatures designed for under bonnet applications such as air intakes. And I can also get it in blue for a little under bonnet bling ;) . Result!

It looks like it could be mod on ;) . Just gonna find out how much it will affect my insurance :rolleyes: .

Ok, measurements taken, filter, pipe and extra hose clamp (just in case) ordered, total spend just under £50. Expect a write up with pictures early next week.

Wahoo! My first proper modification :lol: :D

You might get away with just clamping the filter to the original breather hose if it has a round cross section at the end, this was how my Prelude was when I bought it and it was fine

9ad1c47a.jpg
On my old Accord the Green Cotton filter came with a pipe that put the cone in the same place. Sounded nice but performance suffered. Car use to choke up in reverse and pulling off in 1st gear on a hot day.

I bought a Prelude intake pipe for £20 which put the cone next to the battery where it was shielded and sat on three cold air intake feeds. It made a massive difference.

So be wary of heat soak and loss of performance if your cone is in the wrong place.

CAI is the best way to go.

Cheer for the hears up man. The filter will go where the stock one currently is. It's between the battery and fuse box on the right hand side as you look at the engine bay. The engine bay on the 7th gen is quite spacious, even on the 2.4, so it's away from the engine enough I think. Also, the air comes in to an inlet by the front grill. It goes through the resonator and then up a pipe that feeds into the bottom of the air box. I will leave this pipe in place, so there will be a feed of air (that should be reasonably cool) coming in from this pipe. If needs be I may further investigate adding some feeder pipes for getting more air into that area by the filter.

Oh, another note. I insure with Tesco, and they're letting me do this modification without any charge. Result!!!

Looking forward to seeing the results of this!!! It's gonna be such a good feeling having an induction kit you've nearly made yourself!!!! Are you going to do short or long ram?

And that's a great result about the insurance too.

Cheer for the hears up man. The filter will go where the stock one currently is. It's between the battery and fuse box on the right hand side as you look at the engine bay. The engine bay on the 7th gen is quite spacious, even on the 2.4, so it's away from the engine enough I think. Also, the air comes in to an inlet by the front grill. It goes through the resonator and then up a pipe that feeds into the bottom of the air box. I will leave this pipe in place, so there will be a feed of air (that should be reasonably cool) coming in from this pipe. If needs be I may further investigate adding some feeder pipes for getting more air into that area by the filter.

Oh, another note. I insure with Tesco, and they're letting me do this modification without any charge. Result!!!
Good result from Tesco my intake was no extra charge as well.Steve iv ordered a cold air feed duct from ebay for £13 and it will replace the stock one.
Your set up is probably the same as mine and you wont get much cold air from this to the filter.Also invest in a heat shield as well.
Hears a photo of mine with the heat sheild the cold air feed i will fit next week.Also another thing to look at is where your MAF sensor is mine was on the stock air box and is now fitted on the K&N pipe.

IMG_0283.jpg

Ok, measurements taken, filter, pipe and extra hose clamp (just in case) ordered, total spend just under £50. Expect a write up with pictures early next week.

Wahoo! My first proper modification :lol: :D

What filter have you bought ? I've only just gotten to read this thread. I don't think that many people realise that you can buy the Typhoon filter on its own for a fraction of the cost that the whole kit costs.

I didn't figure it out till after I'd bought mine, when I would of been quite happy to build my own like your doing...

I hope your doing a write up for the tech section... :ph34r:

Paul

Steve also have a look hear it will give you a guild to go by.

http://www.knfilters.co.uk/video/69-1211TTK_Install.html

Cheers Simon, it'll be a Short Ram. Don't fancy the extra fuss of the full length cold air intake :rolleyes: .

Paul, I've ordered a K&N filter. I just went by the sizes in their universal section. Got one with a 70mm fitting as that matches what's already under the bonnet. I then went for the largest and widest one that will fit in the recess left by the existing airbox. Measured it all up and stuff. Figured the bigger the filter, the more air would get in at any given moment. I went for this in the end. Of course I'll do a write up with plenty of pics :) .

And cheers Brett, I am one step ahead of you though matey ;) , and have already ordered a pretty blue cold air feed flexible pipe to slip in there somewhere for £13 ;) . I don't know yet where I'll put it exactly, but will find a place for it I'm sure.

As for the heat shield, it's something I've been considering. Any suggestions for a make shift heat shield?

Thanks for the vid btw. I've seen a few like this and they got me thinking about it in the first instance given how quick and simple they are to fit.

Cheers Simon, it'll be a Short Ram. Don't fancy the extra fuss of the full length cold air intake :rolleyes: .

Paul, I've ordered a K&N filter. I just went by the sizes in their universal section. Got one with a 70mm fitting as that matches what's already under the bonnet. I then went for the largest and widest one that will fit in the recess left by the existing airbox. Measured it all up and stuff. Figured the bigger the filter, the more air would get in at any given moment. I went for this in the end. Of course I'll do a write up with plenty of pics :) .

And cheers Brett, I am one step ahead of you though matey ;) , and have already ordered a pretty blue cold air feed flexible pipe to slip in there somewhere for £13 ;) . I don't know yet where I'll put it exactly, but will find a place for it I'm sure.

As for the heat shield, it's something I've been considering. Any suggestions for a make shift heat shield?

Thanks for the vid btw. I've seen a few like this and they got me thinking about it in the first instance given how quick and simple they are to fit.

Good man im debating where to run my cold air feed as well as it needs direct air flow.I was thinking fixing it under the car somewhere.
What about your MAF sensor Steve or can you fix it to the silicon pipe.Just an idea about a heat shield and it looks good as well.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Air-Intake-Induction-Filter-Heat-Shield-/270632663344?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f02f6b930

Good man im debating where to run my cold air feed as well as it needs direct air flow.I was thinking fixing it under the car somewhere.
What about your MAF sensor Steve or can you fix it to the silicon pipe.Just an idea about a heat shield and it looks good as well.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Air-Intake-Induction-Filter-Heat-Shield-/270632663344?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f02f6b930

Cheers for the link man. I'm going to do a some more research about the heat shield tonight. I like this idea. As for the feeder pipe, I'm not sure yet. I'm planning on finding a good route that will protect against water and not scoop up bugs, insects and leaves also. So will have a good poke around next week when I fit the filter and obviously detail what I decide to do in the write up. Although I can see the feeder pipe being a work in progress, maybe changing a little over time.

As for the MAF sensor I'm replacing the filter with a K&N, but leaving the stock intake tube on so all the sensors are still just hooked up as normal. Basically it will look the same as the picture at the bottom of this web page. I just needed to figure how to attach the K&N filter at it's not straight forward with the type of pipe in the Accord. The guy in that link used a drain pipe, but I wasn't so sure about using a drain pipe :unsure: . Although I've since found this which could be something to consider for the future ;) .

That's good about the MAF as that was my consern.
On the 8th gen its fitted to the stock box.

That's good about the MAF as that was my consern.
On the 8th gen its fitted to the stock box.

Yeah, my thinking exactly. I wanted to do this on a budget and right. So leaving the stock inlet pipe was really the only option. You can see here how the sensors mount on the pipe not the box. Frankly, it's a Result :D !

Cool if only the 8th gen was on the stock pipe and not the box I would have saved £200

Just an idea about a heat shield and it looks good as well.

What are you guys doing to me :lol: . I've just gone and ordered a heat shield now :rolleyes: . So much for doing this on the cheap. I've spent an extra £25 or thereabouts on a feeder pipe and heat shield :rolleyes: . Oh well, I'm sure I'll be glad when it's all fitted and rocking ;) .

What are you guys doing to me :lol: . I've just gone and ordered a heat shield now :rolleyes: . So much for doing this on the cheap. I've spent an extra £25 or thereabouts on a feeder pipe and heat shield :rolleyes: . Oh well, I'm sure I'll be glad when it's all fitted and rocking ;) .
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That's what we're here for B) You'll love it though mate.

steve, what are your total costs for this, I might join you on a DIY version :lol:

Just under £74. But wait until I've fitted and reported it all good first ;) . I'm starting to think maybe I should have ordered a piece of metal tubing instead of silicone :unsure: . Not 100% sure how stiff the silicone pipe will be for clamping the filter to. I might end up spending another £10 on this :rolleyes: .