What's new

Moving from MK7 to MK8 2.2 CDTi some qestions

makkan00

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2006
Lads
I bought 7th generation 2.2 CDTi 2 months ago. Car had 92K miles with full honda service history. It is Ex trim level so well equipped. Car is excellent and reliable (done 3K already).

I have few complaints though
1- Road noise is bad on when you are driving 60-70 MPH..
2- Despite of lumbar support, I cannot find comfortable position. I have a feeling the seat is not parallel to fuel / brake pedal and you sit in slightly twisted position.

I have changed my job recently and spending 1.5-2 hours in the morning and same sort of time in the evening on M25.

I am sure that some of you moved from MK7 to MK8. Can I kindly ask few questions;

1- What difference have you felt when you moved to MK8?

2- is the road noise less in MK8?

3- Are the seats more comfortable than MK7?

4- I am planning to do 20K miles / year and would you say that MK8 is reliable car?

5- Based on miles, diesel will be perfect. Auto and manual? I am leaning toward Auto as M25 traffic means frequent gear changes.

Any input?

PS: Sorry for asking these questions but I rather ask all these then regretting later on. Thanks .

1. Went from EX 7th to ES-GT 8th so a down step, but still like the 8th. Miss the auto wipers and seat heaters a bit, but not the end of the world. A good 8th EX diesel will take some finding. There were 3 in the whole country that I'd have been interested in, but I wasn't prepared to travel that far hence the ES-GT Don't think it looks as good as a 7th, but they stopped making them! Get an 8th and be a member of an exclusive club, you don't see many on the road!
2. I'd say my 8th gen is much quieter and more refined than my 7th. Do a search, tyre choice seems to be a big factor in 7th Gen road noise.
3. Lumbar support in the 7th was half way up my back and utterly pointless. Find the 8th quite comfy.
4. I do about 17K per year, but have only done 10K in it so far. Clutch scare a few month ago seems to have gone away. Otherwise so far so good.
5. Check other threads, some find auto fuel economy to be rubbish. I've averaged 53mpg over my 10K so far (manual). If you're not in a hurry, it will pull from 40mph to 70+mph in 6th without any effort, so not that many gear changes required ;-)

If you're an estate fan the boot is the 8th is much less practical that the 7th. I knew that when I bought it and it hasn't been a problem for me.

Moved from a 7th diesel ex tourer manual, I had it for 8 years, bought as a three year old retired from sales rep, with 90,000 on the clock, would still have it now were it not for chemo and the aftermath, had to go Auto. I used average 50+ mpg, and really loved that car. It did everything I wanted, lots of load space and reliable, seating was good, and coming from a Vauxhall Omega 2.5 BMW diesel Estate which was huge in the carrying department, I was amazed at the torque and go the 2.2 Honda had. Re tyre noise yes it was loud, but light on its feet, I eventually found that Goodyear Efficient grip did the trick.
Then came the sad day when I had to let go, found an 8th ex diesel Tourer on 36,000 on an 11 plate, did the deed and worried had I done a wrong one, only having had a short test drive, and thinking that it was a much bigger car. Anyway now had it since March this year and got to say that it is much more refined than the 7, quieter and comfort wise along with the "toys" if you are into those I am not. My reason for staying with Honda was purely on the basis of reliability and engineering. It did not take many miles for the 7th to fade into the past, The size and shape grow on you as does the seating, so if it is just the seating in your 7 give it a chance you will soon get acclimatised. Fuel consumption is not as good but being "auto" 42mpg typical. I was prepared for that, I have no regrets in swapping but had not been for my particular circumstances I would still be driving my old "faithful" and been approaching 250, 000 by now. But well happy with what I have. Yes I have read all the doom and gloom re DPF in your-case (mileage) and use forget that gremlin, hope you find the right car. I did.

Matt said:
1. Went from EX 7th to ES-GT 8th so a down step, but still like the 8th. Miss the auto wipers and seat heaters a bit, but not the end of the world. A good 8th EX diesel will take some finding. There were 3 in the whole country that I'd have been interested in, but I wasn't prepared to travel that far hence the ES-GT Don't think it looks as good as a 7th, but they stopped making them! Get an 8th and be a member of an exclusive club, you don't see many on the road!
2. I'd say my 8th gen is much quieter and more refined than my 7th. Do a search, tyre choice seems to be a big factor in 7th Gen road noise.
3. Lumbar support in the 7th was half way up my back and utterly pointless. Find the 8th quite comfy.
4. I do about 17K per year, but have only done 10K in it so far. Clutch scare a few month ago seems to have gone away. Otherwise so far so good.
5. Check other threads, some find auto fuel economy to be rubbish. I've averaged 53mpg over my 10K so far (manual). If you're not in a hurry, it will pull from 40mph to 70+mph in 6th without any effort, so not that many gear changes required ;-)

If you're an estate fan the boot is the 8th is much less practical that the 7th. I knew that when I bought it and it hasn't been a problem for me.

edgeoftime said:
Moved from a 7th diesel ex tourer manual, I had it for 8 years, bought as a three year old retired from sales rep, with 90,000 on the clock, would still have it now were it not for chemo and the aftermath, had to go Auto. I used average 50+ mpg, and really loved that car. It did everything I wanted, lots of load space and reliable, seating was good, and coming from a Vauxhall Omega 2.5 BMW diesel Estate which was huge in the carrying department, I was amazed at the torque and go the 2.2 Honda had. Re tyre noise yes it was loud, but light on its feet, I eventually found that Goodyear Efficient grip did the trick.
Then came the sad day when I had to let go, found an 8th ex diesel Tourer on 36,000 on an 11 plate, did the deed and worried had I done a wrong one, only having had a short test drive, and thinking that it was a much bigger car. Anyway now had it since March this year and got to say that it is much more refined than the 7, quieter and comfort wise along with the "toys" if you are into those I am not. My reason for staying with Honda was purely on the basis of reliability and engineering. It did not take many miles for the 7th to fade into the past, The size and shape grow on you as does the seating, so if it is just the seating in your 7 give it a chance you will soon get acclimatised. Fuel consumption is not as good but being "auto" 42mpg typical. I was prepared for that, I have no regrets in swapping but had not been for my particular circumstances I would still be driving my old "faithful" and been approaching 250, 000 by now. But well happy with what I have. Yes I have read all the doom and gloom re DPF in your-case (mileage) and use forget that gremlin, hope you find the right car. I did.

Many thanks lads for your responses.

So to sum up, MK7 is more reliable? (as no DPF and hardly any turbo issues)

However MK8 is more comfortable?

I must say that I do love the toys. I have updated the maps to 2015, installed reverse camera on MK7 and installed ipod kit.

So on MK8, I will have slightly better engine (in terms of fuel efficiency). I am averaging 43MPG (heavy footed) so I cannot complain re: MPG especially when it has plenty of torque on the lower end.

Re: Seating, I have given it two months. Upto 45 minutes, there is no issue but after that my back start becoming stiff. Lumbar support is further down and is useless in my opinion. Considering that auto EX is 7.5K and same sort of miles manual is 6-6.5K. I cannot see myself paying 1-1.5K just for auto. Considering that, I will be going for manual EX.

So to sum up, will I find MK7 comfortable and quieter compared to MK7? This will be my main reason to move on now.

Many thanks again.

Mk8 seats are very good, although the lumbar support seems too high at first.
Have a test drive, that will tell you more than we can.

Ive never driven a mk8 before so cant comment on that although i have lived with a mk7 diesel for almost two years now and have to say the seating position and comfort is very comfortable indeed. I have driven company pool cars "2013 ford focus and skoda superbs and i find the accords seats much more confortable.

I guess everyone is different and seat comfort will vary depending on the individual.

With regards to the road noise, the mk7 is quite loud but as mentioned tyres can make a massive difference. I have a set of dunlop blue responses on the car and have to say the road noise is dramatically reduced and very pleasant to drive. You can also get insulation kits to help reduce road noise if you want to keep the car.
http://www.nkgroup.co.uk/product/car-soundproofing-full-kit-no-engine-blanket/

If road noise is the upmost priority then a Honda is typically the wrong car to buy as refinement is never Honda's priority.
A Lexus IS or GS would be a good car choice if you wanted a refined ride without going German. I have been in a lexus IS220D and have to say it wins hands down when compared to my Accord in the road noise department. Quite tempted to get one. Although the MPG and its diesel engine isn't great - the ICTDI definitely wins hands down in that department both in MPG, driveability and diesel noise.

Good luck though on what ever you decide

accord_n22 said:
Ive never driven a mk8 before so cant comment on that although i have lived with a mk7 diesel for almost two years now and have to say the seating position and comfort is very comfortable indeed. I have driven company pool cars "2013 ford focus and skoda superbs and i find the accords seats much more confortable.

I guess everyone is different and seat comfort will vary depending on the individual.

With regards to the road noise, the mk7 is quite loud but as mentioned tyres can make a massive difference. I have a set of dunlop blue responses on the car and have to say the road noise is dramatically reduced and very pleasant to drive. You can also get insulation kits to help reduce road noise if you want to keep the car.
http://www.nkgroup.co.uk/product/car-soundproofing-full-kit-no-engine-blanket/

If road noise is the upmost priority then a Honda is typically the wrong car to buy as refinement is never Honda's priority.
A Lexus IS or GS would be a good car choice if you wanted a refined ride without going German. I have been in a lexus IS220D and have to say it wins hands down when compared to my Accord in the road noise department. Quite tempted to get one. Although the MPG and its diesel engine isn't great - the ICTDI definitely wins hands down in that department both in MPG, driveability and diesel noise.

Good luck though on what ever you decide
Many thanks for your useful comment. Learnt that we can get the sound insulation kit.
Funny thing is that I have already used sound deadening stuff on the front two doors to reduce the noise and to increase the bass from 'honda premium sound system'. My problem is that I have moved from German cars to honda (secondary to house purchase) and hence finding the cabin bit noisy.

One of my job is to look at the ergonomics and I can safely say that honda has not done well with the seating position. I am convinced that position of the seat twist your lower half compared to upper half. One of the common problem on many bmws (E46 and F10s). And other problem is lumbar support having at the wrong height (too low). Which is totally wrong in MK7 honda.

I have tried 2010 A3 for a week. It is quiet compared to honda but Honda is more 'Fun' to drive.I found A3 boring and dull to drive. Being a heavy footed, I thoroughly enjoys how accord accelerate.

So my options are:
1- Double check the rubber on the wheels
2- Perhaps buy sound insulation kit.

My confusion is secondary to MK8 and its potential. If Honda has rectified seating / noise issues in honda MK8, then I believe that I should simply move to MK8 than spending funds on MK7.

Thanks for your input. I guess I should get used to accord in next few weeks and if not then I will be considering the ideas mentioned above.

PS: I had Lexus IS220D prior to my german car and despite of comfortable / quiet car, I found it boring car! Worst part was the economy as you stated.

Mk8 is still quite noisy for road noise, dependent on tyre brand of course, but it is an advance in safety and comfort.
I've just changed to a new Octavia and that has more road noise than the Accord, Skoda is a budget brand though so expected.

ACCORD mark 8 seems more comfy and less noise than my previous e90 though that did have run flats

I find the seats very comfy. I thought i did not but in fact was 'just' suffering from sciatica from something else, though i do use a seat wedge now. I have an ex diesel estate auto with all the toys except xenon (I so miss my xenons from my 16 year old Audi ... but it was a lot faster so kinda needed them :huh: ) I have written up my first owner of a Honda accord experiences on here not long after I got the car, which I ended up with rather than chose, but if you get a bargain it is a good motor. I have 60k in under two years and my local indie garage services it and it is reasonable in all departments (though the stereo is awesome). I never tire of the gizmos - seat warmers have been back on this week - and the auto is a godsend when doing lots of miles. 2 litre diesels in many other marques are quicker, but i don't care these days. What lacks in boot space it does make up for in seat space i reckon. And as someone else mentioned, it is nice to be driving something different.

Hi, I just bought a mk8 2.2 i-DTEC (150) two weeks ago and so far I would say that my mk7 is a better car. I had the mk7 (i-CDTi sport) for 2 years, and although I had to change the clutch and flywheel, I never had any other issues with it.

Pros for mk7:
-Seems to have more pulling power even though it is only 140 standard.
-More fun to drive.
-Lighter and smaller.

Cons:
None really except for clutch and flywheel after 110K miles.

Pros for mk8:
-Slightly more comfortable than the mk7, but I was happy with the comfort of the mk7 too.
-More toys (Ex model)

Cons:
-Feels too big, heavy and bulky
-Does not feel like it has as much pulling power as the mk7
-Had to have DPF removed as it was completely blocked and came up with regen! error first day
-Feels more like a family car as opposed to the mk7 which felt sporty.

I've had both cars remapped to +30bhp, but maybe I need to give the mk8 more time to adapt to the remap as it was only done 2 days ago.

So far, not really impressed with the drive-ability of the mk8, but fingers crossed it will get better with time.

I came to the 8th gen Accord April this year and it was my first Honda. Prior to the Accord I had an S Type Jag which was like driving an armchair around it was so comfortable. I do recall thinking that the drivers seat was basic in its initial feel but that thought soon disappeared.

I recently had to endure a 736 mile drive back from the Dordogne in one hit (not planned that way!). I can ***ure you all that even after that drive I didn't have any aches or pains. I was impressed with the support that seat gave.

The Jag was obviously a fast car. That said my Accord is fast enough. It gives me about 52mpg and I don't nurse it. It is so reliable I have almost forgotten about the possibility of cars going wrong. All the passengers I have carried are surprised at the quality of the car.

I love it. If there's a better car out there for the money I didn't find it and I looked at several options.

And another thing!

I did have some road noise when I bought the car coming from the tyres.

I fitted Good Year Efficient something because they were advertised as 67 db (does each rise in db double the noise). Now I don't have any road noise! Unfortunately I can clearly hear everything she says.

Thanks a lot lads ....this thread is defo very useful and will remain for those who will ever consider buying MK8. I thought I will update this thread as it may help others in future.

Its nearly 10-11 months down the line and I have stayed with MK7. Comment from bangwhonext above puts me off and I stayed with MK7. It has served me really well without a single issue. Over these 11 months my average is 48-52 mpg and I have regularly achieved 560-600 miles / tank.

As per recommendations of fellow members, I have
1- Changed all 4 tyres to Goodyears Eage F1 Asymmetric 3 which has reduced the cabin noise significantly.
2- Upgraded the brakes to M-tec drilled and grooved which has improved the braking significantly. In my opinion they are still not good enough for 'fun to drive car'. Problem is that every time I drive mrs X1, I feel that brakes are weakest link on honda!
3- I have used to honda's seats to some extent now. Or perhaps my recent journeys are dropped to 1-1:30 hours now compared to 2 hours previously.

It has been excellent experience of owning this MK7 car without fearing of DPF or other issues.

I still contemplate the idea of moving to MK8 versus buying 3 series 2010-2012 though price difference between them is huge. Worst part is that average mpg of MK8 is less than Mk7 and I guess that is due to introduction of dpf in generation 8. Also the fact that internet is full of dpf and clutch plate issues on MK8 cars is enough for me to stick to MK7. The attraction for MK8 is nicer steering wheel, speedo meter and GT body kit!

I do not know but every few months, I get the 'itch' to change MK7.... and will continue till I get MK8 or 3 series.

I love my 7th Gen ictdi to bits. Yes i agree its lumbar support is not as good as german cars have. I do 25k miles a year more of less on M25. Certainly it has more power and economy you can imagine. I can 643 miles on a full tank 57.5mpg. and i have nearly had this car for 3 yrs now. Only thing i do religiously is service every 5k miles and 30k fuel filter change and it smooth as butter.

I do fancy to buy 8th gen ex with sports grill sometime with good history, but i think i will still miss my 7th gen...its just because i have spend so much love and time on it and it never gave me trouble...

I agree with Alex changing tyres which are less noisy i.e Good year ASF1 will make a huge difference on road noise. If you are happy with all the important bits from your car than i think one can compromise on few issues..

Good luck !

Did you you know the later 8th gens were more refined? Try and drive one and see if it feels any better.

On Hondakarma there's been quite a few people that have moved from 7th gen to 8th gen and all of them from what I can remember over the years prefer the 8th gen hands down. The only thing that seemed to stand out from some of their comets was that the 7th gen engine was quieter. The facelift 8th gen apparently was slightly revised and made quiter with extra sound. My 2008 ex gt had castrol edge 0w30 witch seemed to keep the engine quiet and smooth for me.

Both versions are great cars so people just need to just take both versions for a test drive and see.

Racy Jace said:
Did you you know the later 8th gens were more refined? Try and drive one and see if it feels any better.

On Hondakarma there's been quite a few people that have moved from 7th gen to 8th gen and all of them from what I can remember over the years prefer the 8th gen hands down. The only thing that seemed to stand out from some of their comets was that the 7th gen engine was quieter. The facelift 8th gen apparently was slightly revised and made quiter with extra sound. My 2008 ex gt had castrol edge 0w30 witch seemed to keep the engine quiet and smooth for me.

Both versions are great cars so people just need to just take both versions for a test drive and see.
I don't know if you have driven the 7th gen Accord, but after almost a year with the 8th gen (coming from the 7th gen), I can personally compare the two cars and... the 7th gen Accord is a better car in almost every way.
The main thing that attracted me to the 8th gen was the fact that it was a newer model, but I should never have changed it to the bigger, heavier, clumsier 8th gen. It's a chore to drive compared to its older brother...