What's new

My dilema

entwisi

Members
Reaction score
Car
05 Accord
OK, so my car is pretty high mileage, currently 174K and climbing at ~ 25-30K/year

its an 05 plate tourer in generally decent nick( drivers seat obviously more worn than teh rest and a little saggy but not that bad. Thing is the clutch has been slipping since ~152K but isn't any worse than when it started. My plan is to carry on as I am till it gets noticeably worse....

We all know the clutch is ~ 600 notes but if the DMF has gone its another 6-700 quid on top.

My problem is that if it does need the DMF then @ 1200 notes to fix a car thats probably worth no more than 1500-1800 with it fixed that the engine/box/suspension etc has also covered huge mileage.

If I stripped it of all bits and fleabay'd them I reckon I could easily beat the 1500 quid the car would be worth with a working clutch never mind the 3-600 quid of "equity" I'd have left.

On a personal front at the time I bought it we needed an estate as we had a 6 month old with a huge pram and ***ociated stuff, now he is far less consuming of space for stuff so I reckon I could get away without an estate. Its been a good acr in that its reasonably comfortable, very reliable so far however as a bit of a petrolhead it doesn't excite me or make any journey feel "special".

so what would you do? strip it? flog it now before it goes properly, fix it no matter what it costs etc

If it was me...with that annual mileage...I would stick with weasel, get an 07/57 facelift saloon with 75 -100k on its second clutch from an independent dealer, trade in the tourer against it, and put the excitement on ice a bit longer... :(

Think I agree with Cliff. It's a pity its not a facelift - then you could have stripped it for your own spares.

Hmmmmm, one thing, I never trade cars in, they either die a complete death or get flea bayed when I get fed up with them. I do miss enjoying my drive to work, I have the option of the last 15 miles by twisty back road and when I owned my t5 and my A8 I often took it, I can't remember the last time I did in the Honda. I've always loved my classic cars and quite fancy a modernised classic but I would need to sort that before the Honda dies.

MKii Aristo. You might get 25mpg. :)

You can get a performance uprated paddle clutch AND DMF from CG Motorsport in Leeds for £925 fitted. Problem solved ;)

I never get how people think stripping a perfectly decent car and selling for parts is an option. Would you do the same if you couldn't sell your house :rolleyes:

You can get a performance uprated paddle clutch AND DMF from CG Motorsport in Leeds for £925 fitted. Problem solved ;)

I never get how people think stripping a perfectly decent car and selling for parts is an option. Would you do the same if you couldn't sell your house :rolleyes:

here here!! what I don't like about selling a car with a known ailment ( and I know lots do it...so this isn't meant to be a dig )..is that it can fall into the hands of a trader who'll attempt to pass it off as perfect.

Heres a true story about a VW Sharan I almost bought last year. Ebay had a mint 2004 Sharan Carat ( top spec version ) available with 190000 miles, ex airport transfer car in Yeovil. It goes for about £3800 which I considered a little too high, so I missed out. About a month later..the SAME car appears in Autotrader with 68000miles in Bradford selling for £7600 . I showed the link to a workmate and referred him to the 'still live' ebay link for the same reg car. I thought nothing of it at the time...but a few days later he told me he was that incensed by the brazen audacity of the trader...he got in touch with Autotrader and shopped the seller. Anyways...my moral is..I always sell my cars in full working order with no known impending probs. So when SPUTNIK gets put up for sale...its will probably be in better condition than when I bought it :)

the SAME car appears in Autotrader with 68000miles in Bradford selling for £7600

So it was YOU that did that! I'm gonna get you for it :lol:

@ebod, I too would never want to sell a car with a "hidden" fault, when I ebay I detail right down to the last scratch including any intermittant faults. I believe in honesty and karma and knowing that I have a clear conscience when someone drives away means a lot to me. As I said, whenever I do fleabay they are usually very tired cars so its rare to pull back more than 5-700 quid. If I was to lie through my teeth I'd probably only get a couple of hundred quid more and feel rubbish about it

@Faddy, IMHO with a broken clutch and a bill to fix that is > 60% of what the car will be worth when its done its no longer " a good car", add in that even fixing the clutch, how long before it needs a set of shocks/springs? that would add another 4-500 notes to the thing and mean it had cost more than its worth. I have no emotional link to the car, its white goods, a means to get to and from work cheaply and in relative comfort.

I'd also suggest that breaking this car could keep 5-6 others going within owners budgets, its a harsh economic climate out there right now. if your car gets bumped in a car park and stuffs a door in would you rather pay 250-300 quid for a bodyshop to repair it or buy a perfect, polished one from a breaker for 100 quid?

off top of my head without really I can see

4 doors
tailgate ( plus motors etc )
front wings
headlamps
taillamps
bumpers
ECU
VSA
exhaust manifold
engine
gearbox
4x calipers
interior
PSS stereo/speakers
steering wheel
rear boot cover
instruments
bonnet
radiator
AC pump

weigh the shell in for scrap is another 100 quid

I have a good sized garage that I can use to store stuff in so thats not a problem, I'm damm sure I could pull more for that lot than anyone would give me for it as a broken complete car.

Entwisi, I don't disagree with a word you've said , and I'm not suggesting you hide facts when selling.
What alway concerns me are the people who buy lame cars and sell them on as fault free.
When I bought SPUTNIK, it was only 4yrs old but I knew I was buying worthless rolling scrap with 190k miles. So I just considered what its running costs per mile would be as opposed to its sell value.r
I know there comes a time when a car is too old and tired to go on, but I certainly wouldn't break a 2005 car due to needing a clutch.
But hey..that's your call and respect due for all the reasons given.

You definitely get more money for breaking a car, but you need to factor in the time and effort to do it and to advertise all the bits, send them off, store bits that don't sell etc. If you have time/space/knowledge to do that and are willing to lose that time then go for it.

Personally I'd trade it in. If you don't want to do that then my next choice would be sell it as is and buy something else, but then that's me, and I wouldn't know how to take a door off let alone all the other stuff.

it sounds daft but I enjoy a bit of spannering, especially when I dont have to worry too much about putting it back together in time to get to work in it on Monday :D Space is not an issue and selling bits on isn't that much of a hardship, who knows, perhaps a small donation to TA I could be allowed to flog stuff through here :D

I too work on a cost/mile consideration. I also put little thought into an arbitrary number such as age or even mileage. Condition is everything.... in my case I'd be worried about teh other aspects of teh car and how long they had left. Perhaps I was tainted by my last car which I spent far too much on (IMHO) before deciding enough was enough and bailing. up to that car I'd averaged < 800 PA in depreciation/repairs etc over 12 years covering 30K pa which is about as good as it gets, the last car cost me just over 3.5K for the 15 months I owned it......

It's your car, you do what you want. If everything else is working, 600 quid to keep it running for a little longer is better than spending several thousand more on something else...? That's your choice. Clutch is wear/tear item anyway.

Ian, I can see your logic mate..

Hmmmmm, one thing, I never trade cars in, they either die a complete death or get flea bayed when I get fed up with them. I do miss enjoying my drive to work, I have the option of the last 15 miles by twisty back road and when I owned my t5 and my A8 I often took it, I can't remember the last time I did in the Honda. I've always loved my classic cars and quite fancy a modernised classic but I would need to sort that before the Honda dies.

T5 uuummmmm, out of all the cars I've owned my white 850 was the best, still miss it now :( Mind you, I wouldn't go back to it now.

Personally I couldn't be bothered with stripping down a car and messing on selling all the parts on ebay, anyway IMO ebay charges are so high now you end up loosing loads of money to them and paypal.

I guess I also enjoy playing the shopping for a new car game..... :D

I really liked my Volvo, the seats were simply brilliant, the engine a peach, it even handled well for a big old bus. Even my 6YO daughter still tells me she misses that car....

I keep toying with the idea of getting nice old classic like a P5B, P1800 or W123 and modernising it with newer engine/eletrics. I think this 1800 looks awesome

http://pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=19858

I guess I also enjoy playing the shopping for a new car game..... :D

I really liked my Volvo, the seats were simply brilliant, the engine a peach, it even handled well for a big old bus. Even my 6YO daughter still tells me she misses that car....

I keep toying with the idea of getting nice old classic like a P5B, P1800 or W123 and modernising it with newer engine/eletrics. I think this 1800 looks awesome

http://pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=19858

Ummmm, P1800 modernised would be great. I think the 850 Volvos had Audi engines, not sure if it was across the whole range though. When they went to the V70's they were not half the car in my opinion. There was a lot of bad press on them at first, squeaky dash, electrical problems, electrical fires. I've owned three Volvos and wouldn't buy another again, not the cars they used to be in my opinion.