What's new

mystery box under dash

Kaput!

Reaction score
Car
04 accord tourer 2.0
I was just checking something in driver footwell and looked up under dash below steering wheel and noticed something that looked out of place.
Its a plastic box (cigar packet size) with a wiring loom heading off toward centre console and on other end it has a very long cable with a connector on end...all cable tied together to keep it in place.
It kinda looks factory fitted but untidy so im curious as to what it is? It is dark so i can take pictures tmrw if needs be but in the mean time maybe someone knows what im refering to?

This is the box with wiring fastened to it and the little plug on end 20201018_165143_compress19.jpg20201017_213954_022_compress35.jpg

Directly above brake pedal

do you have a tow hook? any markings, stamps or stickers other than CE(chinese excrement) or qc passed?

No tow bar and this thing does have a sticker with some sort of code/part number on the wiring harness that disappears into centre console area.
I will investigate further tmrw once daylight returns and pull it apart for some better pictures.Btw i did a google search of said information on sticker but returned no results.I can ***ume its some sort of aftermarket fit just wish i knew what....may actually be something useful lol

Open it up and see is there are any codes, brand names or version numbers on the circuit board. Also get the codes of any IC's (the larger the better) on the board.

I think I've found the same thing under my armrest. It's the factory add on Bluetooth unit installed to the a pillar, this is the brains of it. Just disconnected mine and now installing a grom audio unit instead. Previously removed a similar one from my frv also.

That makes sense! Ive had no time to investigate further but i will get some better images tmrw once ive pulled it all apart

If
I think I've found the same thing under my armrest. It's the factory add on Bluetooth unit installed to the a pillar, this is the brains of it. Just disconnected mine and now installing a grom audio unit instead. Previously removed a similar one from my frv also.
If you are able can you take a picture? Could help me confirm what i found

I disconnected mine and it was definitely hookedup up to the control unit on my A-pillar. I said factory Bluetooth, I meant Honda/dealer as these must've been dealer upgrades which explains the different locations they seem to appear in.

Ta very much that pretty much confirms what it is.I will pull mine out tmrw to check whats going on? You are probably right too given the random locations ours are located.It also looks as though mine was fitted but never used as the wiring is still all cable tied together.
So to get it working what needs to be done?

there's nothing special about the system really, does calls only and controlled totally from a panel bolted to the A pillar.

i'd guess that yours was a working unit and an owner before you had removed it. i haven't removed my control from the a pillar, as the installation leaves holes and would rather not have holes in its place. if yours is missing with no tell-tale holes in you a pillar trim, the trim has probably been replaced as part of the removal. i highly doubt that these were part installed an not used.

aside from this box, the loom will run to the stereo and much like a parrot, will interrupt the stereo for calls. a mic will be wired into the headliner/map lights area and wiring to the control on the A pillar:
1603492905907.png

Youve been a big help thanks again.Given that the control panel is missing and there are other bluetooth options i doubt its worth bringing back to life.I will still pull it out and trace wiring..just out of curiosity lol

I've just installed Grom audio to my latest accord. had it in my last accord also. Have a read up on it other options to consider would be Xcarlink or similar unbranded kits on ebay.

Grom's not the cheapest set up but i managed to set it up including bluetooth for around £150 by peicing together a unit from a German seller on ebay with Ford interface (so needed me to flash onto it the Honda firmware, no different to a firmware update), then the bluetooth adaptor and Honda harness cable from Grom UK.

Last edited:
You were spot on qc2 here it is.As its missing the button control pad it looks like its useless so ill bin it...thanks for the help.

sorry im unable to upload images....even after compressing up to 90% wont let me.

20201027_163147_compress39_resize_73.jpgf

20201027_163147_compress39_resize_73.jpg

finally got it uploaded.