What's new

Need new battery?

Fitted in the new battery and car is back to normal. :)
It was much easier than I originally thought and your tips definitely helped me a great deal. So THANK YOU VERY MUCH! :)
I checked the reading as soon as I fitted in the battery before even starting it up and I got 12.58.

I've got the same problem again.
Car didn't start up again this morning. Nothing was left on. I've been noticing it for past few weeks, when I was starting up the car in the morning it didn't sound too good but I just thought it was me!
I got the following readings from the multimeter.
Car has been off for roughly 3 hours, reading was 12.32
Turned on and idle 14.18
Turned it off after couple of minutes and reading was 12.66

If I'm right, based on the reading its clear alternator is charging the battery but overnight something is draining the battery. I just don't know where to start? I did some search on the forum and I got this impression built-in handsfree was a culprit? Could it be in my case too? My handsfree stopped working months ago.

I took the readings again this morning before starting the car and after parking it up at work.

In the morning it was 12
Drove for about 15 minutes to work and I got reading 12.66

If I'm right, its clear alternator is charing up the battery?
Please tell me what should I do with this?

Had to jump start car again yesterday. Didn't start it up for over 48 hours and battery was totally flat. I've realised my car's all electric windows work even when I've removed the battery from the ignition. I don't think that's right? I'd like to know if your car's windows work when your car is turned off?
I really need to sort this out otherwise I'll have a lot of jump starts in winters which I don't want to. :(
So please HELP ME.

Windows work when the battery is removed... That's the strangest thing I've heard yet today :unsure: .

That aside, could it be that your battery is in need of replacement, I mean if it's not holding its charge over a 48 hour period, that would be my first port of call. Or perhaps there's something on in the car that's draining it? Glove box light fault perhaps? Boot light? How old's the car, how old's the battery. Modern car batteries aren't anything to write home about and can need replacing after 4-5 years of usage. It's all to do with using more environmentally friendly manufacturing materials and such. They just don't store charge or put out the same kind of amps as perhaps they did 10-15 years ago. At least that's what an AA man told me when I left an interior light on for half a day and drained it flat!

Ouch, you can tell I wrote that before having a cup of tea LOL. I meant when I remove the "keys" from the ignition, electric windows still work.
I replaced the battery last year in September, ordered it from HH so I very much doubt its the battery because I had pretty much the same symptoms when I replaced the battery last year. Its a 56 plate car, registered date Feb 2007.
There's definitely something that's draining the battery. I've been reading here for sometime now and I think I'll unplug the HFT unit which isn't working anyway and it'll might be draining the battery.
I'll also look at the boot and glove box light to see if they're the possible culprits.
But the windows issue is a weird one isn't it?

The windows will work for a set amount of time after removing the keys, I think it's 30 seconds, or until you open the door?

Did your HFT stop working when the problem started? If so then it has to be that! I could be that anyway and just that it was a delayed problem that eventually caused it to stop working. There must be a fuse for HFT you could remove?

By HFT, do you mean the Sat Nav unit? That will drain the batter if it's on, but it's a post ignition switch on so shouldn't be powered with the key out.

Yes, the windows work for a while after removing the key.

Trev, I can't remember exactly but I think it stopped working roundabout that time.
Also I read another thread where Honda dealer identified HFT (hands free kit) as a cause of battery drain. I believe there's no fuse which is specific to hands free kit? I believe its the same fuse which controls the rest of the sat nav unit?

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/8005-hft-a-bit-of-a-mystery-problem/

We've had a problem with the battery going flat for a while now; have replaced it with a Bosch unit and thankfully we have a powerpack thing for starting if necessary, just as well as the new battery didn't fix things. Took it into our local Honda today & asked them run an electrical test to see what might be draining the battery (£50 to run the test!) - was told that we would need a new HFT unit at £1,749.41 + 1/2 hour labour to fit @ £54. Apparently this is not an uncommon problem, they had the same thing a couple of weeks ago with another car.

I asked them to let me know exactly what was wrong with the unit and they came back with "We don’t actually know what the fault with the HFT is, they are sealed units so we're unable to get into them to the physically see the issue. We do know that they cause a dark current draw which is what is causing the battery to drain". They have recommended that because of the cost, they just leave the unit disconnected and have said that this shouldn't affect anyting else (ie. satnav, audio etc should continue to work as normal).

There are some useful pics on the linked thread from within the other thread above:
http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/1383-hft/
That show where the HFT unit is, you can just unplug it apparently and it doesn't affect sat nav or anything else. Try that first then if it works look around for a unit from a breakers.