What's new

New owner with some questions

Rockspotter

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord i DTEC
Hi all,

I've just bought a 62 plate 2.2 iDTEC Accord with 22k on the clock (my first Honda). I am seeking opinions on a few things. Overall its a lovely drive. i looked at several Mercs and BMW's while searching and found the Accord to be the best ride of them all.

I am slightly disappointed with the noise level though. There seems to be noise coming from the rear at slow speeds. The car is fitted with Yoko's at the rear which have done 22k. Do they get blocky and noisy as they wear? I have had this on Continentals in the past and it is a similar noise. Maybe binding pads? Any history of this?

Also the gear change seems to be very clunky/noisy at the gear stick, inside the car not from gearbox. Is this normal? The change takes some getting used to as the gearstick is quite small but even smoother changes still make some noise. Seems worse in 1st and 2nd gears.

MPG - trip computer says 47mpg over normal roads. is this about normal? How many miles per tankful?

Other than that very impressed so far and feel I definitely made the right choice.

Thanks for any help.

Hi , yeah unfortunately 2nd gear can seem a little notchy in these as its nowhere near as slick as the ultra smooth 2.4 petrol manual , but 3rd onwards should feel fine ?
Can suffer from rear binding callipers but usually a good clean and re-lube will sort out ,
As for full tank should be getting never less than 600 miles unless on a track haha ,
The accord is very underrated and I'm sure you'll be pleased with it the long run

Hi and welcome Glyn,

There is a fair bit of road noise in an Accord, the 7th gen was worse, the 8th gen is a big improvement. I think the Yokos are more sport orientated. Goodyear Excellence get good reviews, and are fairly reasonable in price.

As Mark said rear calipers can seize and bind the brakes, carefully touch the rear wheels after a long run, if they are red hot, this is a sure sign. Dont let the pads run down low, and get them cleaned an lubed annually.

Dont know if you have read about DPF issues. Make sure your car is running 0w/30 full synth DPF approved oil, it helps stop the DPF clogging up. Also put some premium diesel through it once in a while (Shell V power, BP Ultimate etc.).

All the best

Rich

Welcome to TA. Already some good advice posted, if you have any DPF issues or are looking to release some of the hidden potential, give me a shout.

Thanks for the replies.

I will clean and lubricate the rear brakes at the weekend and let you know what i've found.
I'm on a Honda warranty so better not solve the dpf issue until it runs out!

I like Goodyears so will fit them in the coming weeks.

My computer is saying 48mpg. I've filled up for the 3rd time this morning since getting the car. So far I've covered 1617 miles (from the odometer) and used 141.11 litres of fuel (from the fuel receipts). That's 31 gallons, giving 52.16mpg. I've been driving like a saint (mostly) on the basis that flooring it will make smoke, and making smoke will give the DPF more work to do. This may be flawed logic, but it is giving me a good fuel return!

I found the gear change a bit clunky too, but either I'm shifting better or just noticing it less as time goes on.

In my Type S I usually get around 550 miles per tank if I do some local driving and drive enthusiastically, and get any 40mpg. The last few days I've been driving carefully and no more than 60 on the motorway, and I'm showing 57mpg on the dash with a estimated total of 710 for the tank. The warmer weather seems to have improved the Mpg. When the weather was sub 5 degrees, I was struggling getting past 47.

My type s is returning 38 to 44 on combined but as you said drops in cold weather quite a bit, I was surprised at how much it did.
I've had high 60's on long steady runs a few times

I'm averaging about 34mpg at the moment on a slightly longer 10 mile run to work. Thats in a 2.0 petrol auto. Resisting the urge to Vtec to much.

Welcome. This is a great forum to seek advice and also repay the favour sometime too. You are getting great mpg imho. My auto idtec estate never gets more than 520 a tank, so around 40/41 mpg. If you look at the Honest John real mpg website you'll see that is isn't bad. I can have a bit of heavy right foot though.....
As for tyre noise, maybe check the camber for uneven wear. My rear camber is out by nearly 1.5 degrees and has seriously affected wear on the rears (and therefore noise) but the tyres (entry level Nexus) have lasted nearly 40k!

Update.

I had the Yokos replaced at the rear of the car and the noise has gone. They must have gone blocky. I put Good Years on and they are much quieter. I didn't realise before but apparently 4 decibels doubles the noise. The GY's are 68db and a big improvement.

The brakes are not binding but the rear pads are quite low so I will change them in a couple of weeks as the wisdom seems to be not to let the callipers come out too far. Are Honda original pads OK or are there recommendations? Also do I need a caliper wind back tool or can they be pushed back in on the iDTEC?

Thanks for the help.

Rockspotter said:
Update.

I had the Yokos replaced at the rear of the car and the noise has gone. They must have gone blocky. I put Good Years on and they are much quieter. I didn't realise before but apparently 4 decibels doubles the noise. The GY's are 68db and a big improvement.

The brakes are not binding but the rear pads are quite low so I will change them in a couple of weeks as the wisdom seems to be not to let the callipers come out too far. Are Honda original pads OK or are there recommendations? Also do I need a caliper wind back tool or can they be pushed back in on the iDTEC?

Thanks for the help.
Is or car a saloon or tourer if a saloon then your caliper should be a straight push back

It's a saloon, so that makes things simpler. Thanks Brett.

Does anybody have the torque setting for the wheelnuts handy?

Yep 108n
Double check about your caliper as there have been a couple of cases of the caliper being a wind back.
If you have separate brake shoes like mine then it's definitely push back

Thanks again for the help. I like this forum!! I hope to contribute as I get to know my car.

The car has drum for the handbrake (like the good lady's Merc and they were a bugger to get off). Hope the Honda is more friendly.

Good stuff, my 2010 Type S has..............

162k on the clock and still drive well in all areas. Just had DPF solution and on a long run went back to 47 mpg in start stop rush hour (40mins hour to do 9 miles) I return 38 mpg. So happy with that.