What's new

new to me

bobfish45

Reaction score
Car
accord 2.2 estate
After being introduced to Hondas with my old but wonderful 7th gen tourer, I recently bought an 8th gen tourer, what a car !!! The car has everything, it's an EX and everything works ! The handling is a step up from 7th gen for sure and the ride is fantastic. I'll be having Fahad doing his stuff on it after Christmas but I won't be doing any mods at all on it, it's perfect as it is. Why did I waste so many years on VW/AUDI, ?

Congrats on the purchase. These are definitely one of the motor worlds best kept secrets.

Enjoy ! I went down the same route when my 7th Gen EX was rear ended and written off. The 8th gen is not as practical but handles better and with Fahads magic touch the Type S produces sufficient power and torque to make driving pleasurable.
Long distance is its forté, 300+km journeys are no problem at all.

Welcome.

In a desperate couple of days last month I went searching for one and was invited for a test drive, put a deposit down and stupidly forgot to tell the actual owner inside the 14 day cool down period ( just their 'secretary' who has since left the business.)

My word against theirs of course, not the end of the world but it does sting a bit. I even renewed the tax for another year at the end of September thinking it was a given the stable would remain the same.

I really don't mind putting some extra funds into my Mk7 since the second hand prices have been getting silly. The £250 currently in limbo would probably guarantee a pass.

I don't need all mod cons and the boot on my Tourer is everything I could wish for in a thoroughbred workhorse.
I really hope she just hasn't had just one too many owners but will know at the end of month.
Will post pictures of what happened in the usual section once I've got them off the mobile.

Was a lovely drive nevertheless, just not entirely practical as an estate car, more an exceptional hatchback.

Last edited:
Enjoy ! I went down the same route when my 7th Gen EX was rear ended and written off. The 8th gen is not as practical but handles better and with Fahads magic touch the Type S produces sufficient power and torque to make driving pleasurable.
Long distance is its forté, 300+km journeys are no problem at all.
I agree, it's a really comfortable car, and as you say, when Fahads added a little it will be even better.

Welcome.

In a desperate couple of days last month I went searching for one and was invited for a test drive, put a deposit down and stupidly forgot to tell the actual owner inside the 14 day cool down period ( just their 'secretary' who has since left the business.)

My word against theirs of course, not the end of the world but it does sting a bit. I even renewed the tax for another year at the end of September thinking it was a given the stable would remain the same.

I really don't mind putting some extra funds into my Mk7 since the second hand prices have been getting silly. The £250 currently in limbo would probably guarantee a pass.

I don't need all mod cons and the boot on my Tourer is everything I could wish for in a thoroughbred workhorse.
I really hope she just hasn't had just one too many owners but will know at the end of month.
Will post pictures of what happened in the usual section once I've got them off the mobile.

Was a lovely drive nevertheless, just not entirely practical as an estate car, more an exceptional hatchback.
Yes I would agree, it is more of a hatchback compared with my 7th gen, which I really love and, which is truly comfortable, in fact there's nothing needs doing except vsa light. I hope my wife will drive it because of all that's been done to it. At the moment she seems to think it's huge compared to her civic but it's only really the overhang at the back. Now I have the new one, I'm looking at my old one and feeling guilty !!!

i run a garage, and the amount of my customers that are now in hondas after there VAG, bmw ect ect let them down (because of my recommendation ) is huge, and i only ever see them for servicing and tyres.

Yes, my friend has been a garage owner for 40 years and I remember asking him which manufacturers cars he saw fewest of, he said Honda then, and that was a good few years ago. He has lots of VAG cars in for egr, sensors, dpf problems, French cars for electrical problems, mercs with leaking injectors, so I'm glad I bought my wife that first Civic. I really do think Hondas offer so much, and whilst the civics are a good drive, the accords are exceptional. I do appreciate that all marques will have problem areas, but my 221k accord was worth a bit of work for the comfort and reliability, how many cars with that mileage would whizz up to Iverness, down to Cornwall with complete reliability and return 43.5 mpg. Brilliant cars, :)

I think 70% of my work load is VAG cars. Egr valves, throttle bodies, dpf issues, premature dual mass flywheel failures, and of course door latches. Owners are always supprised when i tell the modern VAG cars a garbage

My family keep buying Audi and VW for some reason, but they swallow parts and repairs. Meanwhile the one Honda and 4 Toyotas just keep driving. It is almost because the Japanese cars are so reliable as back up vehicles that we can afford to also have German cars.

I think 70% of my work load is VAG cars. Egr valves, throttle bodies, dpf issues, premature dual mass flywheel failures, and of course door latches. Owners are always supprised when i tell the modern VAG cars a garbage
Exactly what I see in my mates' garage!

My biggest gripe with VAG stuff is their policy of coding parts, it really sickens me.
The Japanese never went down that road of making parts unique to one car and needing special scantools to fit them.