What's new

Newbie - One Concern!

hatt11

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 I-CDTI EX
Hi Guys,

I am the proud owner of a 57 Accord 2.2 I-CDTI EX. A fantastic car and cant fault it at all. I have one concern tho and am unsure whether it is just me being paranoid about my new purchase or whether I should get it checked out!

When turning tight I.e around a roundabout the steering seems to feel as tho it is grabbing and it tends to feel wobbly. Now this may just be me not being used to driving this type of car as have come from a Range Rover, and used to just pointing it in the right direction! At all other times the steering is solid and responsive.....

Has anybody experienced anything similar, or should I get it checked out. I have checked wheel bearings etc and all seems in order.

Any help or advice much appreciated.

Great forum by the way!

Luke

What size rims are you on? the larger ones tend to tram line so I'm told. No problems on 16's

I have the 16's but the symptoms are just like tramlining!

Im ***uming you dont experience any tramlining with the 16's?

Thanks

welcome to ta,
id get it up on the ramps and get it checked out.
put your mind at rest.
enjoy the forum

imo tramlining wouldnt feel wobbly, it would just follow the surface of the road.
the 16's shouldnt be bad at all.

Would I be right in saying what you're experiencing is a very slight intermittent feeling of the steering wheel trying to pull in the opposite direction as you're going round the roundabout?

Welcome along
Matt

Would I be right in saying what you're experiencing is a very slight intermittent feeling of the steering wheel trying to pull in the opposite direction as you're going round the roundabout?

Welcome along
Matt

Matt,

Thats exactly what Im saying! It sort of pulls in the opposite direction and then sorts itself, it just feels really unnerving.....

It almost feels like a bit of understeer, but at low speed!

Luke

hi welcome along

could be worth getting the geometry checked and let some one else drive to get another opinion

Luke

Mine does it too. But only at very low speeds like you're encountering. It doesn't feel mechanical or tram lining, I'm running 18" wheels so get that a fair bit. To me it feels like it's coming from the power ***istance of the steering almost like a pressure fluctuation in the steering rack, a feeling of firm and soft. I do find that if I speed up very slightly it seems to stop. So I've put it down to the low revs on the engine causing a drop in the hydraulic pressure. Not sure whether that's the right diagnosis though, but makes sense to me. But apart from that every now and again I don't have any other issues with the power steering or handling of the car so I'm not duly worried about it and just put it down to a 'characteristic'.

Matt

Luke

Mine does it too. But only at very low speeds like you're encountering. It doesn't feel mechanical or tram lining, I'm running 18" wheels so get that a fair bit. To me it feels like it's coming from the power ***istance of the steering almost like a pressure fluctuation in the steering rack, a feeling of firm and soft. I do find that if I speed up very slightly it seems to stop. So I've put it down to the low revs on the engine causing a drop in the hydraulic pressure. Not sure whether that's the right diagnosis though, but makes sense to me. But apart from that every now and again I don't have any other issues with the power steering or handling of the car so I'm not duly worried about it and just put it down to a 'characteristic'.

Matt

Matt,

the "firm and soft" description is spot on and what you describe is exactly what I am experiencing. I too considered an issue with the power steering and had thought that Id check the fluid levels, as the problem was occurring towards the end of the steering travel.

Nice to know its just not me, so quite possibly a characteristic.

Thanks for replying!

Luke

Matt,

Thats exactly what Im saying! It sort of pulls in the opposite direction and then sorts itself, it just feels really unnerving.....

It almost feels like a bit of understeer, but at low speed!

Luke

Sounds to me your geometry needs looking at first.

Andy

I did consider whether it might be the geometry, but after driving down several different A roads and motorways with my hands off the steering wheel, the car tracks in a perfectly straight line. The straightest of any car I've ever driven. So what's why I discounted that as a possibility.

Wouldn't a geometry issue show up more on higher speeds rather than slower?

Matt

Welcome to TA.

Check obvious things first including tyre pressures. Also do you have mismatched tread patterns by any chance?

firstly check front bushes particularly lower wishbone and tierods

secondly if was the power steering then you would feel it be notchy if you went lock to lock, parked up, moving along road makes no difference, as long as the engine is on, you can even hold the revs at the revs you would be at to go around the roundabout if you want to be sure.

Hey Doc, well done describing it.
I had this issue when I first got mine, and didnt describe it half as well as you. It seemed to me like when holding the wheel in a set position for a long sweeping bend, at some point it was though the pressure required to hold the steering wheel at that angle changed and the wheel moved slightly with no car movement. Very odd.

welcome fella i think all the guys has this covered

Hey Doc, well done describing it.
I had this issue when I first got mine, and didnt describe it half as well as you. It seemed to me like when holding the wheel in a set position for a long sweeping bend, at some point it was though the pressure required to hold the steering wheel at that angle changed and the wheel moved slightly with no car movement. Very odd.

Guys,

Thanks for all the replies, ill check all the simple things and see if it makes a difference.

Block, you say you had the problem when you first got yours, how did you get it sorted?

Thanks again,

Luke

I have the 16's but the symptoms are just like tramlining!

Im ***uming you dont experience any tramlining with the 16's?

Thanks

Always felt good from day one, running on 16's and michelin 205x55x16,which I believe to be the correct fitting? mine is 2004 model, but would not think that could be the difference. Out of interest what wear indication are the fronts showing, i.e inside or outside uneven.

I can't speak for the condition of Luke's car. But mine has the same tyres on all 4 wheels and all have good even tread depth and even wear across the tyres.

The pressures I check regularly as the 18" tyres sometimes look flat when parked on a kerb, so was becoming paranoid about a slow puncture which I now know I don't have.

My cars done 28k miles and the steering feels tight so wouldn't expect worn bushes, unless any members can advise otherwise about problems in this area?

The power steering would have to work harder going from lock to lock when the car is stationary than when the car is moving as the tyres would effectively dig into the tarmac when turning on the spot caused by higher friction resistance, so that could mask the problem.

To me it feels like a pressure change in the power steering when it does happen. I have only experienced it on a couple of roundabouts both of the same size. And as I become more confident with the handling of the car the more I drive it, still fairly new to the Accord, I approach corners quicker so don't generally experience the problem any more.

Maybe I just drive slower than most of the other members on here (for now anyway) and need to man up a bit in corners so it doesn't happen again.

Thanks for pointing out the simple things though. I have a service in March so will get all my bushes and things checked then. Or I'll be putting up a DIY review for fitting a new power steering pump in the near future. lol

Matt

Thanks everyone for your replies,

I have today checked all the bushes and all are in good condition.

Regarding tyres and wear, the fronts are both new and have covered less than 500 miles. All pressures checked and in order.

I checked the steering lock to lock whilst stationary and it felt fine. However, I then turned the steering wheel a 1/4 turn and held it there and it was as tho the system pressurised and pulled it back to centre?

Im wondering whether it has something to do with the pressure switch or system regulator?

The conclusion is, I'm none the wiser, and should take it to get checked out, but I'm just one who loves to get an idea from the forums first before I head to the service centre!!

Is there any Honda techs on here?

Luke

Welcome Luke,

Sounds like the variable servo power steering, it feels like a resistance and feels lumpy. Abit like those steering wheels at arcades that have force feedback. totally normal, and totally cr@p.

When the cars on and stationary, with the steering straight if you turn it slightly with one finger and hold it there you'll feel it kick back.

You'll get used to it.

Yep i got the same :rolleyes:

Cool, that's made my evening!! I agree its crap but sure I will get used to it.

Thankyou....