What's new

No Boost

jamesa

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord estate i-ctdi
Im really fed up now........ ive just spent about a grand doing the manifold fix and a set of discs and pads all round, and my Turbo has stopped working. :-(

I really hope there are some simple things i can check to see if the turbo is dead.... i really hope not.

can you give us a little more information on the issue James.

Its unusual for a turbo to go unless its been abused and not warmed up / cooled properly

Might just be a hose knocked loose....

As Adam has said a few more details, in fact as much detail as you can, will help us give you some pointers.

Have you got access to a code reader?
What year is your car and what is the mileage?

What sort of symptoms are you having i.e it is driving normally but just does not accelerate etc. Any peculiar noises?

Who did the manifold change and have these symptoms appeared immediately after the work or some mileage later?

What's the oil level like ?

Agreed very unusual for a turbo just to stop working altogether unless its totally fubared and the compressor wheel is stuck.

Job one is to check all hoses and clamps from cold end to hot end paying particular attention to the intercooler piping. If all looks good it would then be time for a boost leak tests to check for leaks as often many only show themselves under pressure. Have a look online and utube there are some good guides how to do this.

hi,

Info on the car.....

2005 accord estate, 120K miles owned for about a month ( i was not offered warrenty :-( )
Had the maniforld replaced on friday by HH
replaced discs and pads on monday

About when it happened.....

I had been out on a run ( approx 20 miles ) and it was working fine and boosting as normal, about 2 miles before i stopped i do as normal and relax the driving style and let the turbo spin down and use it as little as possible. once stopped i let the engine idle for approx 1 minute.

The next start of the car ( approx 1 hour later ) i started driving off and all was well but then i noticed the turbo was not kicking in and it was slow as hell.

i tried it again this morning on the way to work to see if it was a ramdom bad start and it still did not work at all.

I have just nipped out at lunch and it now gets boost at approx 2.5K but has nothing lower than that.

There are no codes coming up on the scanner

Thanks all for he ***istance so far, its much appreciated.

sorry i didst include this in the last reply but my work computer was just about to be filtered after lunch!

At least the turbo is working a bit!! :)

The fact that you have just had work done around the turbo must ring alarm bells!

Check that the hose from the turbo is secured properly, it may have popped off after accidentally not being secured properly after the exhaust manifold was refitted.

That was my guess, although I would be. surprised huh would overlook that.

Give them a ring - I'm sure they'll see you right.

I Will give them a call but it was all good on the way home and for the few days over the weekend.

If you've only owned it for a month I'd be inclined to go back to where you bought it from.

Trev it was ok before HH did the work..

Now im not saying anything major has happened but i bet a pipe or sensor is loose and not allowing the turbo to boost. It sounds like the vaccum hose for the VNT system isnt working correctly.

I've got in touch with HH, they are going to look at it next Saturday. its just odd that no codes have come up as they told me there should have been a code for low boost

Hmm interesting james.

If you can help it try and not drive the car until you take it to HH as you dont want to cause unecassary damage to the engine / turbo.

In the mean time. Remove the air box and turbo intake pipe and have a good feel on the turbo shaft. See if you can move it about.. there should be a small amount of movement forwards and backwards but no up / down movement. And it should spin freely too.

Trev it was ok before HH did the work..

Still if it turns out to be a major issue then the selling garage are liable to have it repaired. If it's just a hose come loose then obviously no need to take it back.

I have spoken to the garage and they are willing to help with he repairs if its a mechanical fault.

Keep us posted, can't really add much to what's already been said but if it's only happened right after the manifold change then logic dictates that its most likely a loose hoose or connector. Could be the turbo actuator itself.. happene don mine right after the timing chain change but HH replaced the part with a used one they had (as it didn't go in with that problem).

**** happens, it's how the problem is dealt with that matters so i would reserve judgement on HH for now - I have total faith in them repairing it if it was down to them.

Woo hoo!!!! HH have fixed it!!!!! it was the turbo actuator rod. while they cut some of the manifold bolts off with a gas axe. it heated it up a bit and cooked the grease. the really nice engineer told me he lubed it back up and freed it off and all is good. sooooooooooooooo happy!

Hey great result, like I said turbo actuator ;)

Enjoy!