What's new

Noise from the rear...

riot68

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.4 type s tourer
Just started the other day out of nowhere, a whinning noise that is related to speed, ok until about 30 then real bad between 40-50, get's a bit better up to 60 and faster seems pretty good again. Think it may be the tyres as when driving on the snow it doesn't seem to do it, suggesting road surface/tyre. Callipers and breaks just checked and ok, not getting warm. Tyres are Pirelli Pzero's with bellow 3mm of tread on now, was going to change but have sold the car, he doesn't pick up for a month or so, so I still have use while I find another. Any suggestions? Obviously don't want to spend any money on it oif possible but will if it needs it to be safe etc. thanks...

Sounds silly, but have you checked for any large-ish stones or grit stuck in the tread? I once noticed a weird clicking noise at low speeds, had a minor panic, looked over the wheels and realised there was a big stone stuck in the tread. Prized it out with my key, problem solved ;) .

cheers, have had the stone noise before and it definitely isn't that kind of noise. I was hoping it wasn't the bearing, does it sound like it might be? Would a bearing only be noisy at certain speeds, don't want to put 2 new tyres on only to find out it's not them...

cheers, have had the stone noise before and it definitely isn't that kind of noise. I was hoping it wasn't the bearing, does it sound like it might be? Would a bearing only be noisy at certain speeds, don't want to put 2 new tyres on only to find out it's not them...
I had exactly the same - turned out to be rear brake pads - they were worn down such that a little spring strip starts to make contact and sets of a drone - pads were £20 quid.

New pads only done a few weeks ago, so shouldn't be that and wheels aren't getting warm like they would if brakes were catching, strange. Am going to call the garage and get their take on it in the morning...

I go with Neal on this for the wheel bearing.Get it checked for play as its hard to listen to what side it is gone.
If it is the bearing its the hole hub that will need replacing but Salim has done a great DIY on this.

In at the garage tomorrow for new rear pads and discs as drivers side was catching too and has knackered the disc, they don't think it's the bearing, they only did some work last week on it. Anyway want to spend as little as possible it's now sold when he pays the rest. Going back to a Civic EK3, getting cold feet with the cost of running the Accord and can spend the left over cash on my M|R2 project :D ...