What's new

OBD Bluetooth Unit

Accordaz

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda CRV 2.2 i-DTEC
Some weeks ago I purchased an OBD unit with bluetooth, but it just doesn't function right, and I'd like someone to kindly recommend a quality unit that works best with the Accord, and a Samsung Galaxy phone?

Thanks!

Well how about that? My Check engine light came on today and I have been recommended this from ebay at £16.99

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281480506038

Still in two minds as I'm not sure how frequently I'll be using this but it's got to be better than a) paying Honda to tell me the code and b) and independent garage who said he can tell me the code for £20

I've got the Torque app, but just hoping for a reliable Bluetooth / WIFi unit to work with Honda and the said app on Samsung? ;)

I look forward to hearing of your successes. Maybe wired is the way forward, even though it's a bit backward! Does the wifi unit get it's power from the port or is it battery powered?

P.S. Just watching this right now to learn more about this new fangled stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQSsUPrGLHs

Aw snap! I've got a Samsung Galaxy S5 and am bewildered by the amount of this sub £10 units there are out there!

Gyaaa! Which one do I buy?

Even then I don't know if it will find the code for my "Check Engine" yellow light that came on this afternoon.

it could be the Samsung mobile it has an issue with perhaps, but we need more feedback to be sure!

Defo! Goodluck. I'm still researching. Hopefully somebody in the Milton Keynes area will come to my rescue by plugging in their bluetooth OBD2 dongly thingy into my wagon.

That way I may know the fault code and also which little OBD Bluetooth Adaptor to buy B)

Come on MK Accord people help me please; I'll buy you a beverage!

I'll try to remember to check which model mine is but it only cost around £10 and that was a couple of years ago. I know Torque does recommend checking a couple of settings if you are having problems. Mine has an orange and blue sticker if that helps

Well took the wagon to my man and he has reset the fault which was:

Fault Code = P00AF

Description = Turbocharger/Supercharger Boost Control "A" Module Performance

Anyhoo, according to another person or two, I need to drive it hard from time to time. E.g. 2500 - 3000 rpm

Funnily, since owning this car in October 2014, I have always driven it carefully, slowly without harsh acceleration.

This last weekend I thrashed her for the first time and the light came on!. D'oh!

The moral of the story is what? Drive it like you stole it or carefully?

Yes it works great. I've used it on several cars and several phones including Samsung without any problems

Just checked again and it says ELM 327 Interface Supports all OBDII protocols on a blue and orange sticker with 5 led lights and the back just says OBDII

yes, there's too many of the same kind of unit on ebay that are not great quality and don't work correctly; like the one I got, so we'd like a link to one that someone has bought and tried from a seller on ebay or amazon really :)

EBay item number 331206015268 looks exactly the same as the one I've got if that helps

Dave G said:
EBay item number 331206015268 looks exactly the same
yes, that's the issue, they do look exactly the same, but not all work as they should as most are made by different manufacturers in China and are of poor quality!

I bought mine about 3 years ago so it would be difficult to find the same seller again.
What issues are you having with the one you have bought?

Got my little OBDII Bluetooth from Amazon. Ordered Monday 19-Jan-2015 arrived 21-Jan-2015. Whoohoo!

It's a MaxiScan and cost me £8.99

I downloaded the Torque (free) app and everything seems to work OK on both saloon (7th Gen) and Tourer (8th gen)

As I now have no "Check Engine" light on, time will tell if this app/adaptor combo is worth it as I can't clear down codes that are not there!

Accordaz said:
yes, that's the issue, they do look exactly the same, but not all work as they should as most are made by different manufacturers in China and are of poor quality!
Accordaz said:
I think I feel foul to this. A couple of months I bought an ELM 327 to work with the app on the iphone. You need a wifi one to work with the iphone. Tried a couple of different iphones, my 5, my work 5c, my wife's 5. Couple of different cars - the Accord, my wife's mini countryman and my brothers 5 series. In the end I got a replacement from the same supplier, that didn't work either, so got a refund.

So I read about this as well. There are a lot of Chinese copies flooding ebay. Nothing against China as a manufacturing nation. Its said that some unscrupulous so and so has ripped off ELM, by copying their code and original product and selling a non-genuine product.

I have the ELM327 one but the wifi version , works fine used it on several cars now , maybe its the bluetooth connection that isnt reliable ?
Also depends which app you use to go with it , some pair up no problem some dont , plenty of free ones about tho

@uknowiama, my thinking entirely! Just tried my 'faulty' unit again on my Stepwagon this time, and it now appears to be a connection issue; something to do with the pins not maintaining a firm grip of the car OBD plug; a bit of twisting to connect works for a minute or so, then cuts out. The ebay seller is failing to respond to my request for a replacement.