What's new

OBD port snapped

rupertbound

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 CTDi EX
Mr Big Idiot here had his OBD reader plugged in, and managed to kick it as I got out of the car. Now the port is very loose and won't connect properly.

Would anyone be able to advise the best way to access it (and how, if it's either the coin tray or panel beneath) and what the best fix might be?

Many thanks,

Mr B.I.

PS Any advice on not being an idiot appreciated too.

Oh nuts! Can't comment on fixing it, but feel your pain - it's the kind of thing I do.

Mine snapped on one side too - I think the plastic becomes brittle over time so I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. As for fixing it, best way I found was to buy a 6" extension cable so that the socket could be routed to a more convenient location.

It's very common mate, don't sweat it. All that's happened is that it's come out of it's metal clip housing and gone back into the trim panel. Just remove the bottom trim panel above the pedals and you will be able to see where it's gone. a cable tie should help hold it back in its place.

Wow, thanks for all the replies. Will check it out during daylight tomorrow. Am I right in thinking releasing the trim panel involves one screw, visible front right, and then just clips that will pull off (gently)?

F6HAD said:
It's very common mate, don't sweat it. All that's happened is that it's come out of it's metal clip housing and gone back into the trim panel. Just remove the bottom trim panel above the pedals and you will be able to see where it's gone. a cable tie should help hold it back in its place.
I'm being a right idiot - I just can't get that bottom trim panel off. I've removed the screw, but freeing it up at the front (where it tucks under the main fascia above) seems impossible. I've already cracked it, any idea what I'm doing wrong?

It's been a while since I've opened one now but I think there is a trim clip holding it in, just ease it off

Sorted! I removed the panel above as well - just clips - and so was able to see the three clips at the top front of the bottom trim panel. OBD port now secure courtesy cable tie and araldite combo, plus a little bit of swearing.

Thanks for all the advice - great forum!

Sorry for highjacking your thread mate. I'd like to know if the location of the obd port is the same in RHD and LHD cars?

DiD said:
Sorry for highjacking your thread mate. I'd like to know if the location of the obd port is the same in RHD and LHD cars?
interesting question, I reckon it will either be in the same location as if the steering column is sill on the right, or it will be moved over with the steering column.

freddofrog said:
interesting question, I reckon it will either be in the same location as if the steering column is sill on the right, or it will be moved over with the steering column.
Like you suggested it is moved with the steering column to the left hand side just a few cm`s lower from the coin holder. And while i`m on the subject, i bought a bluetooth monitoring device and i was wondering if it would be a good idea to leave it plugged in permanently or would that drain the battery?

I usually remove mine and stick it in the hole under the NAV DVD drive.
There have been occasions where the car's sat for a week with it left plugged in, and it's not been a problem.

The battery in a diesel is a monster though.

Cool, thanks for the input. I`m thinking of getting a thread going were we can discuss and compair readings and trade sensor id`s maybe.