What's new

Official oil check procedure

kkelly77

Members
Reaction score
Car
CTDi Sport
I am missing my owners manual for my '04 2.2 diesel.

Can someone tell me what is the official Honda oil check procedure for the Accord? Engine hot/cold and check with engine running/not running? Thanks.

I think it's meant to be done when it's hot, but left for 20 mins after running.

I'm sure it's cold I will get the info up tomorrow.
This is a mixed debait hot or cold do will find info lol

Page 279:

"Oil Check: Wait a few minutes after turning the engine off before checking the oil level, and always make sure the vehicle is parked on level ground"

then confusingly on page 280:

"Diesel Models: Check the oil level daily when the engine is cold"

Definitly when the car is cold. It gives it chance to run down and settle back in the sump. If the engine is hot the oil pump will have circulated alot which wont show on the dipstick :).

The reason for cold is thermal expansion makes the oil level read higher than it is , when the oil is hot.

So what is the official stance on this matter?

a. Cold on level surface

or

b. Leave for 15 minutes after hot running engine

Maybe someone should just do a test, check it cold, drive it for 30 mins to warm it up, then check it straight away hot, and then again after 20 mins - see what the difference is.

I would think hot but wait 15-20 mins is the best, because hot oil is what is important to know, if it expands when hot and goes over the max line then you're in trouble! The 15-20 mins gives it enough time to drain into the sump - when I did my oil change I waited 30 mins for it to drain, and it took almost exactly 5.9 litres after.

When you do an oil change you fill with cold oil to the top mark on the dipstick. So hot oil will always read above the top mark, as the volume of the oil will increase with heating. Honda will have allowed for this and is why they advise checking the oil level when the engine has cooled. It's in the handbook.

I thought 5.9 litres was to the mid point on the dipstick (between min and max) including with a full filter? You're not supposed to fill to the max line.

At cold, it should be in max level. Because when it's moving/hot, oil actually is filling other cavities on the engine. So, no problem with that.

Ok!

Checked oil earlier today when cold and oil was below the min level.

Went for a shopping trip and on return parked up and left for 30 mins.

Checked level and oil is at max level.

So which is my correct oil level the min level or the max level?

Wow that's quite some change!! I'm going to have to do the same with mine and see what happens - wouldn't expect it to be that much of a difference!

lol
Check the oil at cold, always in the same place if possible, and always with the car on a level surface.

Wow that's quite some change!! I'm going to have to do the same with mine and see what happens - wouldn't expect it to be that much of a difference!

Don't forget my car was parked up for 15 hours before i started up from cold today.

the oil was thick when i first checked

the oil was a lot thinner after my drive and 30 mins wait.

will also wait for your feedback Trev.

lol
Check the oil at cold, always in the same place if possible, and always with the car on a level surface.

This was also done Nuno!

Thanks for the advice!
smile.gif

I will do a check tomorrow.
my day is:
5am get out the door and drive to work (30min+).
leave 8 hours and drive back.
so i will check my oil at:
5am when cold (has not been run since 3pm today)
5:30 ish when i get to work
2pm when i finish work
2:30 when i get home.

I will let the car sit for 10 minutes before i check oil (when hot). and will report my findings tomorrow :)

right... here are my findings.
I have ALWAYS only filled my oil up to half way between the markers.

5am this morning oil was at 1/2 way between markers.
5:45 (including 15 min rest) oil was at 3/4 between markers.
14:05, oil at 1/2, same as 5am.
15:00, oil at 3/4 jufst like 5:45am.
so for me i only saw fluid expansion of about 250mls.

I guess that's more what I would suspect, with 15 mins being enough to drain it all down into the sump. So if you check it hot 15 mins after stopping, and it's under the midpoint you might want to top up.

I think what Honda are saying is:

1. Checking the oil level 15 minutes after running will allow nearly all of the oil to accumulate back into the sump and most of the thermal expansion to dissipate ... but not all. It is therefore a reasonable - but not perfect - way to get the level.
  2. The most accurate check of engine oil level is when everything is cold (i.e. the engine hasn't run for some hours) and the car is on level ground.

Since my first oil change over 30 years ago, I've always checked levels when everything is cold. However I'm thinking now that the most accurate answer is that it depends on the manufacturer's recommendation. They do differ; some say warm, some say cold. In either case, I don't think anyone would argue that the car should be left to sit for a while if the engine has been run before checking the level. I'd also say that when changing the oil, you should aim for the mid point on the dipstick, not the max.

So, maybe the best recommendation is: RTFM. (hoping the FM isn't contradictory ;-) )

I'd also say that when changing the oil, you should aim for the mid point on the dipstick, not the max.
I agree, lots of respected people say otherwise though. I topped mine up to max after changing it and it lost oil for a month or so until it was down to the middle, then stopped losing oil! Must be the optimum for the engine.

after running will allow nearly all of the oil to accumulate back into the sump and most of the thermal expansion to dissipate ... but not all.

As a recentish convert to the stone cold test, my logic follows, that the thermal contraction will vary too much to allow for reliable measuring.

Outside temperature, solar gain, prior running style (driving/idling/racing) will all reflect how hot the oil was to start with, and how quick it will cool and contract afterwards.

How much sticks to the engine for how long also will play a HUGE role in what ends up on your dipstick after 15 minutes.

I can agree dan. i only check my cars oil once it has been cold for atleast 8 hours (i.e morning).

I also DONT fill up to the max.... for every car that i have owned i have never filled up to max level.

1/2 way between min and max is perfect really, its where the engineers have designed the level to be at.
filling to the max i would say is fine for old people who check their oil once, maybe twice a year, or if your doing mega milage.

If you check your oil 1 - 2 times a week then you will notice any consumption and 'top up' although my diesel does not seem to consume any oil at all.

I know honda vtec engines will consume oil if driven in vtec alot due to the vtec oil jets, but thats part of having a high revving engine. for us slugs (desisels) i would worry if my engine was consuming oil.

BTW, i never top up between services (9k apart) as i have never needed to.

Something along those lines. I wouldn't like to see that :lol:

yeah but when you do a reading when its cold it shows a nice straight line on the dip stick when you do it after its been running it smudges everywhere and cant a get good reading! ill ring my friend and Johnsons Honda Kidlington and see what he says and let you lot know

I've always done it cold and always fill to the mid level too, I always thought the difference between min and max was about 1 litre. As for usage, mine does seem to get through a bit, I'm always topping it up, maybe a little lighter right foot would help ;) ...