What's new

Oh dear unusual clutch problem?

spud350

Members
Reaction score
Car
Tourer 2.4 Type-S
So I've been having more and more trouble selecting gears and have got to the point of diagnosing the problem. Considered the usual nightmare of a new clutch but thought I'd change the fluid 1st just in case.

While I was in the footwell I think I spotted the problem. The clutch bracket has sheared away and pressing the clutch pulls the bracket away from the bulkhead. I guess this could cause less clutch travel which in itself could cause the difficulty selecting gears. It also looks like all one piece at 1st glance with the clutch pedal as part of it. Anyone had this or any info on such matters?

Cheers Spud.

This is the 1st case iv heard but its probably down to corrosion.
just a thought if you can take out the hole unit you might be able to get this welded.

TBH I'm not overly surprised as it's a heavy clutch. Doesn't look like corrosion just the spot welding has given up then the bracket has then given up. Will try Honda tomorrow for a new one.

Wow! I'm going to go and have a look at mine now. I've been having the odd issue selecting gears of late, as well as oddities with first gear and the occasional strange noise on slow lifting off the clutch.

Funnily enough this is a common problem on mk2 Scirocco's, the bulkhead wasn't strong enough where the clutch cable housing mounted and most of them eventually give up one day - you put the clutch down and just tear a hole in the bulkhead :lol: happily, the fix is to just weld a plate back in, and there are kits available to do so on the 'Rocco's. I actually haven't remembered to check if mine's been reinforced or not - I should really check!!

I appreciate it's a hydraulic set up on an Accord, but it sounds like a similar kind of problem. Hopefully it's an easy fix for a body shop/mechanic, I've not seen what it's like in the footwell of a 7th gen though!

I've been having problems selecting reverse and 1st to 4th gear, biting point right at the bottom... not been able to vtec for months because you couldn't change up to the next gear..

Got a new clutch fitted last monday and my god what a difference. Actually enjoy driving the car now.

Paul

It's not uncommon for the pedal cages to break, I've come across a few VW where the same thing happened.