What's new

Oh Deer!

funkyplates

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Type S
Decided to change my route home around 10pm last night to enjoy the country roads, etc. All's well until a ****** deer runs out straight in front of me. Big Bang and deer skids across the road. Shook me up and was too scared to stop and see what damage had been done (was only 4 miles from home). Arrive home to see driver side of bumper hanging off, cracked bumper and smashed drivers side fog light. Pushed the bumper back in but clearly need a new bumper and fog light.

Any hints as to where the best place to get these from?

I guess I was lucky in that I had no time to react or else I may have ended up in a ditch.

Still a pain in the **** but grateful no panel/bonnet damage. Also looks like the radiator is OK.

These accords are very strong, the collision was around 60mph and I reckon could have done alot more damage in a smaller car.

Obviously feel bad for the deer but nothing I could have done.

Any help/advice on best way to repair (and likely costs) much appreciated

Lee

well suited thread name :D:D:D:D:D

Decided to change my route home around 10pm last night to enjoy the country roads, etc. All's well until a ****** deer runs out straight in front of me. Big Bang and deer skids across the road. Shook me up and was too scared to stop and see what damage had been done (was only 4 miles from home). Arrive home to see driver side of bumper hanging off, cracked bumper and smashed drivers side fog light. Pushed the bumper back in but clearly need a new bumper and fog light.

Any hints as to where the best place to get these from?

I guess I was lucky in that I had no time to react or else I may have ended up in a ditch.

Still a pain in the **** but grateful no panel/bonnet damage. Also looks like the radiator is OK.

These accords are very strong, the collision was around 60mph and I reckon could have done alot more damage in a smaller car.

Any help/advice on best way to repair (and likely costs) much appreciated

Lee

Any damage pictures? Love to see what the old deer did to the car!

TBH though, you probably did well to hit it and not miss it. Years ago in one of my old teenager shed-on-wheels, a stray dog ran out in front of me. I skidded and swerved to miss it and hit another car. I should've hit the stray dog!

Ben

Well you could have stopped and checked if it was ok and if it was hurt called the RSPCA. I'm sure it was a lot more scared of you than you would have been of it.

If you hit a person you'd have stopped so why not for an animal.

Never swerve to miss an animal as doing so could cause an accident as in Ben's case. They teach you that when you learn to drive, doing so on your test will cause you to fail . I've even hit a pheasant before because I refused to swerve. But please people if you do have the misfortune to hit an animal do the decent thing and stop, even if it is just to make sure it's dead.

Weird. I always try and avoid animals but never slow down or adjust my course for people. They know better and no matter how much they swagger my car will still 'win'!

so is the 'deer' dead?!

im amazed at the little damage caused at 60mph.

one of the reasons i wont drive a **** box is safety. i feel the accord is a good safe car.

course the 2.4 helps.. :p

'

If it was me I would have stopped to check the deer but in panic mode people don't think straight so I can't blaim you.
But if it was killed think if all that Venison gone to waste

If it was me I would have stopped to check the deer but in panic mode people don't think straight so I can't blaim you.
But if it was killed think if all that Venison gone to waste

Fight or flight - if you're in a car you're already in flight so it's easier to keep going apparently. Hit something at 60 and there's not really anything you can do to help anyway :( these things happen to all of us though, I hit a rabbit on one of my first dates with my girlfriend, she was in tears for ages :/

Lee, hope it doesn't cost too much to get your car fixed mate! At least we don't have moose in this country lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98ZK_kknP9U&feature=youtube_gdata_player

OK, been avoiding this for a while but went to a bodyshop last night. Would need new bumper and foglight. £600!!! Now worried it's too late to claim on the insurance (£200 excess) as it's been a while since the accident. Been watching ebay for a bumper but nothing around. ******.

Well you could have stopped and checked if it was ok and if it was hurt called the RSPCA. I'm sure it was a lot more scared of you than you would have been of it.

If you hit a person you'd have stopped so why not for an animal.

Never swerve to miss an animal as doing so could cause an accident as in Ben's case. They teach you that when you learn to drive, doing so on your test will cause you to fail . I've even hit a pheasant before because I refused to swerve. But please people if you do have the misfortune to hit an animal do the decent thing and stop, even if it is just to make sure it's dead.

I hit a badger last year whilst at work on a motorway at about 3am doing nearly 140 in a insignia vxr.....that puppy didn't need checking!!! Little ****** did so much damage, it was like hitting a tree stump!!

OK, been avoiding this for a while but went to a bodyshop last night. Would need new bumper and foglight. £600!!! Now worried it's too late to claim on the insurance (£200 excess) as it's been a while since the accident. Been watching ebay for a bumper but nothing around. ******.

Look for second hand parts, try ebay or breakers - it will be much cheaper

As for the insurance you can still call them up & when they ask why you didn't notify at the time of the incident just let them know you were in shock. I've done this before and its never been a problem.

In the long run you will probably be better by getting second hand parts as your insurance will shoot up next year if you claim.

Was it an old deer you hit ?? :) *chortle*

There's always cars being broken in ebay.. Type " accord breaking "

As already mentioned, don't go down the insurance route if your excess is £200. You should be able to get it done for £200.

There are loads of front and rear bumpers on ebay, what year and what model is your car ?
Fog lights also available on ebay.

You can either get the bumper and fog light yourself and take them to a body shop to do it all, or you can get the bumper and fog light yourself and just get the bumper resprayed to your colour, then fit it all yourself. These bumpers are easy to take off and put on with a bit of patience.

Also check if the inner fender (wheel arch) and engine under cover are intact, they might also be cracked, if so you can take them off too and put a bit of fibre glass onto them to reinforce them (get a fibre glass kit from Halfords from ~£20).

Thanks guys, I will persevere a bit more on 2nd hand. I've been specifically searching for a silver honda accord front bumper. The model is a 2006 facelift Type S (so has the subtle body kit, to make it that bit harder to find). I'll search for cars being broken. Mechanical skills are zero, as is my patience so it'll have to be done by bodyshop. One did say he could do it all for £200 if I supply the parts, he checked the local breaker while I was there but the only Type S they had there had a burnt out front end.....

Whilst I agree with most of the comments on here, I can see you got a fright and didn't think straight. However I would say it would have been a good idea to go back even if hours later.
Imagine another motorist coming along the same road @ 60mph and seing a dead deer in the middle of the road. You've a responsibility to other road users.
Sorry if this sounds harsh.

Have you been back since and checked? Depending how long ago this was it might still be there!

You'll have to keep searching each day because there is no way to put an exclusive search for your bumper.

Try "honda accord front bumper -clip" (to stop clips being listed) at the top level of "All Categories".

Not sure if these would do
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Accord-2002-2006-Front-bumper-spoiler-NKTuning-/360417076253?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53ea88241d

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2008-2012-HONDA-ACCORD-FACELIFT-FRONT-BUMPER-FOGLIGHT-FOG-LAMP-O-S-DRIVER-SIDE-/251130372976?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a78896370

And before you buy, contact them by ebay email to make sure you know what you are getting, and use a credit card in paypal. If they send you something that is not according to the ebay email, by UK distance selling laws you are entitled to full refund with them having to pay for return costs. This happened to me a year ago and Paypal said I had to pay return postage and would not budge, but their T&C's are ambiguous. I took it up with my credit card and they agreed with me by UK distance selling, and refunded me the money, took it from Paypal, and told me to inform the seller that they had to organise collection. If they did not collect after 3 months then the item belongs to me. Never collected, item belongs to me :lol:

You'll have to keep searching each day because there is no way to put an exclusive search for your bumper.

Try "honda accord front bumper -clip" (to stop clips being listed) at the top level of "All Categories".

In the past I've used searchdome ( http://www.searchdome.com ) to create custom automatic searches. Should work for this but it'll take a few goes to tailor it correctly.

Whilst I agree with most of the comments on here, I can see you got a fright and didn't think straight. However I would say it would have been a good idea to go back even if hours later.
Imagine another motorist coming along the same road @ 60mph and seing a dead deer in the middle of the road. You've a responsibility to other road users.
Sorry if this sounds harsh.

Have you been back since and checked? Depending how long ago this was it might still be there!

The Deer went skidding off into the ditch/hedge

Couldn't you have put the deer in the boot of the car and then sell it as Venison? It would have helped fund the repair at least? :ph34r: .

Couldn't you have put the deer in the boot of the car and then sell it as Venison? It would have helped fund the repair at least? :ph34r: .
An interesting quirk of UK law is that someone finding a deer (for example) that has been hit and killed by a car is entitled to take it, however, the driver of the car that hit the deer is not allowed to take it. I suppose this is in order to discourage hungry drivers from pursuing deer along the highways?

An interesting quirk of UK law is that someone finding a deer (for example) that has been hit and killed by a car is entitled to take it, however, the driver of the car that hit the deer is not allowed to take it. I suppose this is in order to discourage hungry drivers from pursuing deer along the highways?
Surely that wouldn't apply if a member of the royal family was driving :lol:

Or, what happens if two friends drive in convoy, and the second car collects the road kill :lol:

Surely that wouldn't apply if a member of the royal family was driving :lol:

Or, what happens if two friends drive in convoy, and the second car collects the road kill :lol:
I'm sure that in either of the cases you suggest the law would cease to apply - however, you know what they say about the Law....