What's new

Oil change interval?

babak

Members
Reaction score
Car
2008 Accord I-CTDI
Hi guys

I have a 2008 Accord I-CTDI with 80,000 km on it and was wondering about the oil change frequency. In the owner's manual it recomends oil changes at every 20,000 km which seems a bit much for me especially with the fuel filter being changed every other oil change (ie 40,000 km). I know about using only 0w30 full synthetic but was wondering if you guys follow the honda recomended frequency or if you change a bit sooner. I think I read some forum members changing 6-8k miles which is 10-15k km AFAIK.

I was planning on changing the oil/oil filter/air filter/polen filter every 15k and fuel filter every 30k. Does that sound ok?

Also since I can get Castrol Edge 0w30 for about 3/4 the cost of the genuine honda oil I was planning on using that instead - any comments on this?

Other than that I think I will go with genuine honda parts - does anyone know a website I can order them online which might be a bit cheaper than what they would charge me at the dealer. (I live in Bulgaria, not the UK)

Somewhere in the manual it does say it depends on your environment. If you live somewhere really cold it should be done at twice or four times the frequency, so at 6250 miles (10k km) or 3125 miles (5k km). It also says if you drive most of your journeys in stop start traffic, or for short journeys where the engine doesn't get hot, this should be considered extreme and also perform the more frequent changes.

I think most people on here buy a huge 25l barrel of oil and do their own changes at 6k ish miles, whether they're in the 'extreme' camp or not.

For temprate regions I believe it is 12k, but I go between 6 - 8 depending on weekend plans. The big drums are certaibky worth the investment.

Stefan most members hear change there oil and filter every 6k including my self and i drive a petrol.
IMO the more oil changes on a car your prolonging the life of your engine.

Thanks guys,

What about the fuel filter, do you change that with every oil change or every other one?

The fuel filter should be done 12.5K or so. Our Diesels are super twitchy...

Nah you could easily go 20k miles without changing your fuel filter, mine did and was still going strong. The trick is to bleed it in between for example when you do an oil change. Agree with the others on the 6k mile oil changes, although mine went to 8k miles a couple of times, but all motorway driving.