What's new

Oil Cooler Problem

Dutchy

Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord 2.2 I-D
I have recently aquired a 2.2 I-DTEC 8th gen (2010) estate. It has mayonnaise in the coolant header tank but none in the main engine. It runs fine, no loss of power or excess black smoke. Have been told its either down to the square shaped aluminium oil cooler on the oil filter housing that needs replacing or new seals or simply due to lack of use by previous owner who never drove it anywhere than to the local shop and back once or twice a day so it's got clogged? Any ideas/advice ?

Yep it’s a failed oil cooler, I’m seeing it more and more on these idtec engines. Just have it changed and have your oil and coolant (flushed and) changed at the same time.

Yep it’s a failed oil cooler, I’m seeing it more and more on these idtec engines. Just have it changed and have your oil and coolant (flushed and) changed at the same time.
Thanks, I take it then that the cooler is not able to be repaired?

Nope it’s a sealed unit, just replace it.

Hello Farad,
I got my 08 Accord Mk8 idtec tuned by you a few years ago. It was still running fine until last week I discovered the same problem with milky oil in the coolant tank. No lack in performance yet.
Where can I get the oil cooler replaced? I am struggling to find garages doing this in Birmingham.
Many Thanks
Rosh