What's new

oil help

stubbs

Members
Reaction score
Car
honda accord
Hi all

i have recently checked the oil levels in the car and there is nothing on the dipstick i am skint and the car is overdue a service and at a strech i probable could afford some oil i have a honda accord ictdi ex 2006 model
what oil should i buy. i have 2.5 ltrs of 5w/30 is this any good.

thanks in advance for any comments unless there offencive or sarcastic.

honda strongly recommend 0W 30

some people have used 5w 30 without any problems

it's up to you and no-one can make the decision for you

personally i would use the 5w 30 until the service now it's a bit warmer but don't blame me if your engine goes pop

0w30 oil on the diesel should not be skimped on. if its over due a service then spend £50 for oil filter and new oil.. it doesnt cost much and not looking after your engine could do long term damage / expense

don't even start it if the oil is low, get some in straight away, as the lads say it should be 0w 30, not worth crocking the engine for the sake of the £30 can of oil.

You will probably only need about 1 L to bring the oil level back to the mark.
So if you can get some 0w-30 fully synthetic in straight away this will help until you can have the car serviced.
Also don't over fill as this is as bad as under filled

will this be ok to use on the turbo diesel

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_183645_langId_-1_categoryId_165581

Yep, that's a good oil.

While agreeing that Honda now recommend 0w-30, I'd happily stick the 5w-30 in (so long as it's fully synthetic) as an emergency top-up... the benefit of the "0" rating only becomes apparent in very cold conditions. Honda originally recommended a range of alternative grades (including both these and even higher viscosities) and many garages continue to use 5w-30 as a cheaper alternative. But I wouldn't put off the necessary service too long. And I'd be worried about where all that oil has gone.

only thing is a litre might not be enough

if it isn't then running it on 5w 30 is a hundred times better than running it on below minimum oil

Totally agree but if its not enough then to go below the min I hope there is no damage done.

What does it sounds like running? I guess you don't know how long it's been low for? I would also top it up to the midway point on the dipstick with what you've got, then get an oil change done with 0w30 and a genuine Honda filter as soon as you can.

Maybe it's been worded badly, but it does almost sound like a wind up? You don't have enough money to put oil in the engine but do to fuel it and run it?

5w/30 won't brick your engine mate, but not having enough oil will.

As already said, if it's overdue a service then get that done asap. It's probably cheaper to walk than drive a car that's overdue a service which will end up costing you many times over if something does go pop.