What's new

Oil Leak

exec

Members
Reaction score
Car
'99 2.0 SE Exec
My car seems to have some sort of oil leak but am not sure where exactly it is coming from or if its a major issue. Basically few months ago when I did an oil change I noticed much of the underneath the engine and on sub frame etc it was covered in grease and oil, wiped it down a bit, few months on and today I changed the gearbox oil and I noticed there is oil everywhere from the engine side all the way onto the gearbox housing, and on the subframes etc.

The place where the oil pan joined the engine is full of oil, so it must suggest the sump gasket is gone? But I don't understand why its everywhere. When I checked the oil it was below the minimum marker dot, but I think it might be worth checking when its cold and flat and when its hot aswell,.

Would the oil light on the dash come on if it was really low?

Am just wondering if its worth replacing the sump gasket or are cars meant to leak a little?

Cheers

My car seems to have some sort of oil leak but am not sure where exactly it is coming from or if its a major issue. Basically few months ago when I did an oil change I noticed much of the underneath the engine and on sub frame etc it was covered in grease and oil, wiped it down a bit, few months on and today I changed the gearbox oil and I noticed there is oil everywhere from the engine side all the way onto the gearbox housing, and on the subframes etc.

The place where the oil pan joined the engine is full of oil, so it must suggest the sump gasket is gone? But I don't understand why its everywhere. When I checked the oil it was below the minimum marker dot, but I think it might be worth checking when its cold and flat and when its hot aswell,.

Would the oil light on the dash come on if it was really low?

Am just wondering if its worth replacing the sump gasket or are cars meant to leak a little?

Cheers

Cars are not supposed to leak ,it's unenviromentally friendly and bad PR to manufacture cars that leak oil in this day and age . If the oil light comes on it's usually to late . It's gone everywhere due to the turbulent air that passes beneath a car when it's driving .

When I checked the oil it was below the minimum marker dot, but I think it might be worth checking when its cold and flat and when its hot aswell,.Would the oil light on the dash come on if it was really low?Am just wondering if its worth replacing the sump gasket or are cars meant to leak a little?Cheers

A bit of minor gear oil leakage is okay but if you are losing engine oil to that extent it's a problem. It needs fixing but in the meantime check the level frequently and keep it topped up.

I think the oil light is for oil pressure, not oil level. As long as you've got enough oil in the sump to cover the pick-up pipe then you'll have full oil pressure... but, if it is an engine oil leak, you must check the level regularly and keep it up around max.

You can tell if it's gear oil, it stinks!

Better check the power steering fluid level in case it's that.

If your finding it hard to locate the leak then degrease and clean the engine well, then wait and see where the oil is coming from. Make sure the oil is always over min mark at the least

Thanks for the replies. Am sure I read in the manual that the oil light comes on when oil level is low. I will try degreasing the underside and locate it, i'm pretty sure it will be the sump, annoyingly it looks like the exhaust blocks the sump and have to be removed to repair it, so DIY job might be out of the books.

Checked the oil today from stone cold, I know your meant to warm it then check after few minutes, but stone cold should be fine, car wasn't driven for a week too, and the mark was between min and max, so I think its not too bad thankfully!