What's new

Oil looks red

csak1981

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer 8th Ge
2.2 EX i-dtec manual tourer

Recently got clutch and flywheel done at Honda and they advised oil and filter change as oil is a different colour on their multi point car check.

I service car myself and was due to change my oil in January with about 8K done since last January so i told them not to change it.

I checked level today and noticed that the oil looks red in colour like transmission fluid. I used genuine filter and 5w30 fully synthetic low saps C2 Triple X last service.

I recently felt like turbo vanes were a bit sticky so i put some wynns diesel turbo cleaner through the fuel tank I think just before Honda noticed the off colour of the oil. This is the only additive I've used whilst this oil has been in.

Anybody any thoughts?

Strange.. I can only ***ume the deposits into the oil from the additive you used have caused the change in colour.

So even though the additive was added to the fuel, it can still get into the oil through blow by gases?

I don't know what colour the additive was as it wasn't in a clear bottle 325ml

I guess a couple more weeks or so before you change it won't make any difference if it's been in a while already.

Oil getting changed as soon as. I've already ordered filter from Honda and picking up oil tomorrow.

Transmission fluid is genuine Honda MTF 3 and is slightly darker than fresh engine oil when new not red like other transmission fluids.

Transmission fluid was changed when clutch was done. Even if MTF 3 was red i can't see it getting into the engine block.

It’s normal to get fuel soot deposits in your oil, that’s why your oil goes black on a diesel literally after you’ve changed it.

Understood contamination does eventually get through somewhere but where from if not a worn component ?

Turbocharger
Valve seal(s)
Piston scraper ring(s)

What is more likely from a fuel contamination where the additive is probably in a 1:40 ratio as a maximum ?

Could it be red diesel being used ?

I've certainly not been putting red diesel through it.

However when I first got the car 12 month ago i was using supermarket diesel but for the last month or so I've more or less been filling up with premium at either shell or bp.

I'm wondering if these supposed better cleaning fuels have actually managed to clean off any build ups that were present and this is what I'm seeing in the oil.

I would expect the oil to be black or at least dark amber not red if the premium had been cleaning anything.

I'll just have to monitor it I suppose hopefully be changing oil tomorrow and I'll keep checking the colour over next few months