What's new

One for the thinkers - 2000 Accord Power Steering prob

Peter719

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord
Ok its a 2000 Accord with 120k on the clock, had it 4 years now, one of the best cars I have ever had.

Power steering was working fine, but began to leak, leak traced to both pipes on low pressure PS return circuit (in front of Rad), heavily corroded.
Rebuilt return circuit by attaching hydraulic hose to good sections of pipe, used old pipe on brackets to zip tie new hose to. New Fluid in

Ran car for ages, no leaks, jacked up car bled air out. Started her up, pump silent (no weird noises) Test run - no power steering

Stripped her down again, no leaks, jacked up , spent all day turning wheel with engine both off and on - no more air - no power steering.

Ran car for a full week, 66 miles a day to work and back, PS fluid checked twice a day - level unchanged, car parked each night over white sheet - no leaks. No power steering

Jacked her up turned wheel etc - no air. No PS

Up on ramps, looked at Power Steering Pressure switch, fine no problems that can be seen, good connections

Took return hose off reserviour, put return hose in container, ran car, pump definitely moving fluid around system, flow seems healthy. Flushed all PS fluid put new in, Bled air out of system. Test Run - no power steering.

Just ran her for another week - no leaks, no air - no noise from pump - no power steering. I know someone has the answer to this. But what is it?

Am I missing the obvious like a fuse????

Get your thinking heads on lads - I will be forever grateful

Hey Peter, welcome to the forum mate. Feel free to post an intro thread in the newbie section to say "Hi" and tell us about your car(s) etc.

Also, I've moved this thread to the "6th Gen Accord - Faults" section as it will stand more of a chance of catching the eye of our 6th gen gurus. I'm sure someone with the right knowledge of this will be along before too long to help.