What's new

Out Of Warranty Repair

m444lyx

Members
Reaction score
Car
Nike Air Max's
Does anyone think Honda will be willing to negotiate a Timing Chain as its a massive job and i'm out of the warranty periody (high miles)

If not the chain then the oil pump or tensioners can give way.. really a noisy chain is indicative of a problem and needs sorting.

Does anyone think Honda will be willing to negotiate a Timing Chain as its a massive job and i'm out of the warranty periody (high miles)

Got mine done but only after contacting dealer tech support. Every dealer I went to wanted to charge me, the rattle precedes failure, in my case the oil chain snapped. Two engines later (long story) and a new turbo courtesy of Honda. Every dealer told me I was on my own and it was only when I went in with a technical bulletin having contacted Honda UK did I get anywhere.

Car was two years out of warranty. This is extended up to seven years. Even with the new engine it had to have new injectors new chains and a host of other things replaced. Chain failure was caused by the car running rich hence the clouds of smoke every time I accelerated. According to the bulletin excess carbon caused by faulty injectors contaminates the oil and causes the chain (usually the oil pump chain) to fail. Dealers were told to check cars when servicing for any rattle and report to Honda for authorization. Not one dealer knew about it. Gordon Lamb Chesterfield, Holdcroft Honda, or Retford Honda ( Retford Honda were the ones who did listen to me though and were happy to do the job). Timing chain should last a LONG time.
Oh and yes I got the "it has not got full Honda service history " no warranty from every dealer except Retford Honda. Honda UK said it is NOT a requirement so long as you have it serviced and the book is stamped.
I have the Bulletin if anyone is interested..

If its the oil pump chain thats rattling can I not just get that and the injectors changed on its own? The chains about £30.. How will I know which chain is causing the rattle? Thanks

Got mine done but only after contacting dealer tech support. Every dealer I went to wanted to charge me, the rattle precedes failure, in my case the oil chain snapped. Two engines later (long story) and a new turbo courtesy of Honda. Every dealer told me I was on my own and it was only when I went in with a technical bulletin having contacted Honda UK did I get anywhere.

Car was two years out of warranty. This is extended up to seven years. Even with the new engine it had to have new injectors new chains and a host of other things replaced. Chain failure was caused by the car running rich hence the clouds of smoke every time I accelerated. According to the bulletin excess carbon caused by faulty injectors contaminates the oil and causes the chain (usually the oil pump chain) to fail. Dealers were told to check cars when servicing for any rattle and report to Honda for authorization. Not one dealer knew about it. Gordon Lamb Chesterfield, Holdcroft Honda, or Retford Honda ( Retford Honda were the ones who did listen to me though and were happy to do the job). Timing chain should last a LONG time.
Oh and yes I got the "it has not got full Honda service history " no warranty from every dealer except Retford Honda. Honda UK said it is NOT a requirement so long as you have it serviced and the book is stamped.
I have the Bulletin if anyone is interested..

The Honda dealer I bought the car from in Kent was willing to do the warranty work & book me in even though I was at 183k but when confirming with Honda UK they refused, when I called up Honda UK they told me to drop the car off for an inspection at a Honda branch

The Honda dealer I bought the car from in Kent was willing to do the warranty work & book me in even though I was at 183k but when confirming with Honda UK they refused, when I called up Honda UK they told me to drop the car off for an inspection at a Honda branch
Good Luck, fingers crossed !
Take it to Retford Honda they did mine, I would avoid your local like the plague they have done nothing but mess my car up each time they had. In fact I had the workshop manager trying to tell me the car would run much better when the ambient air temp was high as this gave the car more power... I tried to point out if that was the case why has the car got an intercooler and the fact that cooler air is denser, he wouldn't have it.
Paid for a clutch to be done there got car back they had not put the gearbox mounting bolt in.
Had a service there, wife got several miles from the garage rear brakes locked up (over adjusted handbrake) I called them up they responded "so what you don't have to bring it back to us to get it adjusted any garage can do it".

Good Luck, fingers crossed !
Take it to Retford Honda they did mine, I would avoid your local like the plague they have done nothing but mess my car up each time they had. In fact I had the workshop manager trying to tell me the car would run much better when the ambient air temp was high as this gave the car more power... I tried to point out if that was the case why has the car got an intercooler and the fact that cooler air is denser, he wouldn't have it.
Paid for a clutch to be done there got car back they had not put the gearbox mounting bolt in.
Had a service there, wife got several miles from the garage rear brakes locked up (over adjusted handbrake) I called them up they responded "so what you don't have to bring it back to us to get it adjusted any garage can do it".

Ouch, thats why I never leave my car at the garage, always watch them - you would think you could trust honda though, especially with a honda