What's new

P0087 fault code Any help is welcomed

cossie894

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2 ctdi
Hi, i lost power yesterday and the engine management light came on. Managed to limp it home. It loses power on and off. Plugged in a obd 2 and read a fault code of
P0087 - Fuel rail / System pressure too low. Any idea of common faults at all with this?? 2004 model with 50k on it

Thanks

You need to change your fuel filter and make sure its a genuine Honda one.

Just finished changing the fuel filter ( honda) . Went for a drive and it still stutters and not too responsive on power. Really dont know what to try next???

and pump the priming bulb till its rock hard before and after you have bled it. Also how much fuel is in the tank? and how much was in it when the fault occurred?

Try reading the sticky threads in the diesel faults section, this is a common issue. As the guys have said, ensure the filter is bled correctly and primed correctly...

perhapse your car has been missfueld at some point in its life? high preasure fuel pump failing?..............thats worst case senario but could be a number of things, has your engine light come on since the fuel filter change?. it is possible the filter is not fitted correctly.

Did you fit the filter or did a dealer / independent?

Is your Accord a pre-facelift or facelift model ?

fitted myself, the pre face model. I've had it since 10,000 miles and never been mis fuelled
Is the only way to bleed the fuel system by the 10mm bolt on the filter or is there another bleed point on the car?

Experienced a tappety noise and smelly fumes coming inside the car before new filter fitted - could any of this link to a cracked exhaust manifold?

Yes mate, sounds like a manifold and yes only proper way to bleed is from the 10mm bolt on the filter.

I just took it out again this morning. Treated it gentley until temperature was up, then put ot through its paces. The stuttering resistance seems to have gone but still seems to be a bit slack on power.
I'm thinking it could be a mixture of both fuel filter and a cracked manifold. With now the stuttering gone (fuel filter) maybe the manifold reduces the power????

Cracked manifold will result in loss of power but not really hesitation, although it might alter the mixture if the crack is really bad I guess... Have the manifold replaced (should be covered under warranty if your car is less than 125k) and then take it from there.

GOOD NEWS!!!!!! Took the car to Honda. I explained the situation. A technician took the car out for a spin. When he came back he agreed straight away that the exhaust manifold has cracked which would create loss of power,stuttering and tappet sounds. He also went on to say that the diesel cam chain sounded stretched which would cause the growling noise. Part of changing the chain and accessories means they have to replace the four diesel injectors aswell. All this is being done under extended warranty and no worries about there being no service history. The car is at honda as i write this and they have kindly given me a courtesy car. HAPPY DAYS! Thanks for everyones help leading up to this.

Excellent stuff mate :D

Quality.. :D