What's new

Parking Sensors not working, fuse location? control unit location?

gatucar

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
Hello,
This is my first post. I have extensively look for an answer before posting but I have found nothing at all.
I bought a diesel Honda Accord 2012 diesel. The parking sensors were working properly until they completely stopped working. The complete system stopped working. Not even the switch to turn the system on/off works. I have a CEL with the following message "check system" and the drawing of a car with all the parking sensors lit is constantly displayed in the message area. It looks like the power just went off. The OBD2 port does not give any reading with a little computer.
My first guess was the fuse. I tried to locate the fuse that will protect the parking sensors but my user manual does not list a fuse location for the parking sensors. Is there such a fuse? It may be shared by other components but I do not see anything else failing.
I also tried to locate the control unit but I could not find the location of this control unit in internet. This unit may have become faulty as well...
Lastly there should be a control unit for the sensors located in the front bumper and a control unit for the sensors in the rear bumper? Maybe there is only one...If there are two boxes where do they connect with each other? If all the sensors are failing it cannot be a single box but where they link together before accessing the main computer. ..
Any help will be appreciated
Cheers

Hi and welcome,

Being a 2012 model is it not under the 3 year warranty still?

If it is a Honda dealer would fix it for free.

Does your car have ADAS, the lane keeping, collision braking and active cruise control. If it does you will have a camera behind the rear view mirror?

Rich

Rich,

Thanks for your answer.

It is not under warranty, It is from Jan 2012! I checked already and the warranty expired 5 months ago.

My car does not have the lane keeping, or the collision braking or the active cruise. It just has the normal cruise control.

Might be worth having it diagnosed by Honda. They might offer some goodwill towards the repair cost, as you are only just out of warranty.

Anyone? Help will be appreciated. Getting to know where the control box is or where the fuse is will be of great help.
Cheers

As rich sprint said might be worth taking it to honda to diagnoise.

Have you tried clearing the fault?

Yes i have tried but it doesnt go away. I tried to locate the box yesterday. I took the bumber off. But the cables combine with ,any pthers and go to the fuse box after connecting to many others. Not possible to follow them. I chrcked all the fuses from the under the hood fuses and nothing. It maybe a relay...

Or it could be the control module itself.

I would highly recommend before taking the car apart to have it read by a proper honda diagnostic tool

Yes i agree... It is still fun trying to solve things by ourselves. Most times i make things worse but i spend many hours having endless fun solving my "problem"
I will go to honda and let you know the outcome
Cheers

There is also a small fuse box in the passenger footwell, on the plastic panel by the front of the door.

I did not bothered with the small fuse box at the passenger side because I more or less could understand the label for all of them in the owners manual. None of the labels suggested something in relation to the parking sensors.
Now that I think...the remote control used to open and close the windows and sunroof but now it only closes them. It may be related. Anyway if not advice is found in the forum it will be taken to Honda.
Cheers

Hi Gino,

Might also be worth posting this on Honda Karma in the 8th gen Accord section. They may be able to give you more info.

My window global open/close can be a bit hit and miss also, I've just put it down to bad reception, but I could be wrong. Been using it quite a bit in this recent heatwave.

Ok i am back from the honda dealer. They found a problem with the parking sensor control unit. It is 400 pounds to replace it. Very expensive considering these systems go for nothing on eBay. And Rich i am goung to ***ume the same...it is bad reception!!!
Thanks for reading guys
Gino

valtheval said:
Hello, for everyone who might have this problem with “check system” message reg parking sensors, just follow the diy below...it worked for me just great and it took like 1 min to solve it
https://youtu.be/cGztYcLg_QU

Cheers !
Thank you very much. I know this is an old post but taking the other bulb for the switch worked for me. I was also very lucky in that the switch popped out by getting my fingers up behind it when the coin holder was opened. I just can't seem to find these for sale anywhere so I might have to go to the dealer for a replacement.

Sorry to drag up an old post. But did you have to do anything other than just swap the bulb? I just tried mine and it made no difference to what bulb i used. I don't know if its a coincidence or not but mine stopped working the day after we had had some heavy rain last week so don't know if thats linked. I'd got my hopes up thinking it what going to be something as silly as a bulb, but looks like it may be something more sinister.

Cheers

Sorry to drag up an old post. But did you have to do anything other than just swap the bulb? I just tried mine and it made no difference to what bulb i used. I don't know if its a coincidence or not but mine stopped working the day after we had had some heavy rain last week so don't know if thats linked. I'd got my hopes up thinking it what going to be something as silly as a bulb, but looks like it may be something more sinister.

Cheers