What's new

Part-exchanged today at 155,000 miles

benw123

Members
Reaction score
Car
2006 i-CTDI EX
After nearly four years ownership, today I said goodbye to the Accord, part exchanging it against a Toyota Prius T-Spirit for my wife. We're swapping cars in our household; my commuting duties will be now be with my wife's 10 year-old, 67k A3 Sportback that we've had since new, and with the Accord carrying the higher mileage, "we" decided to let her choose a new motor...

Was a bit sad to see the Accord go, but it was carrying a handful of niggling faults, including the AC, HFT Bluetooth and alarm not working. The MoT was due at the end of the month too which I didn't want to face, so I was offered £1,250 for it (a full ticket would have earnt £1,500 incidentally, exactly what WeBuyAnyCar offered before inspection).

In 60k+ miles of driving, my 2006/56 facelift EX was a fine place to be. I loved all the toys, the driving position is absolutely ace and it rode extremely well. Handling was very tidy but I never pushed the car hard. The 16" Kumho tyres I bought new at 111k were still on the back of the car with 3mm of tread as of today, the front brake discs and pads were last changed at 89k and still in good condition - that's 66k on the front brakes! - and as far as I could tell, the car still had its original clutch. This occasionally slipped but for the most part was fine.

Fuel economy was also excellent for a relatively heavy car. My commute, around the M25 from Herts into the Heathrow area, regularly returned a computer-indicated 62-68mpg which measured at a genuine 58-60mpg. Ideal conditions really when you're in a pack of traffic at 50-60mph, although I did boost the tyres to 40psi all round.

I also self-serviced the car every 10k (except for brake fluid and fuel filter changes) with the only other repair in that time being rear discs and pads plus an ABS sensor which was handled by a Honda dealer.

Dislikes? The timing chain was noisy in mine, but no issues, and I found setting the AC settings via the screen quite fiddly, often requiring you to look away from the road. The odd faults like the alarm siren were annoying as well, but looking back some of these might have been due to a Halfords battery that had a lower amperage rating than the Honda version. I think at its heart, the Accord is a very reliable machine - it never left me at the side of the road - but it feels brittle in some areas.

So it's a fond farewell and also thanks to everyone on the forum who helped answer my questions, contributed to my threads and anyone who wrote up content in the DIY section - one of the best I've seen in any car owner forum.

Will drop in from time to time :)

Cheers,

Ben

Ah man... Sorry the Accord had to go. Do pop by from time to time though man. Just because you're no longer rolling in an Accord does not mean you're not a valued member of this community.