What's new

Part Four on my Accord

John M.

Members
Reaction score
Car
6th Gen. 1.8iS
Well the latest update now with 98,000 and exactly a year since I got her. I've done 14,000 over nine months ( the car was unused for a three month period) and I've really had no problems to report overall. I'm still getting between 32 & 35mpg along with a half litre of engine oil per 1500 miles and I've got to admit I do rev the nuts off it on my weekly round trip of 300 miles which consists of plenty single lane roads and a lot of slower moving traffic, so happy with the figures.

I've changed the fuel filter for a Blueprint one that I had sitting the boot of the car since Nov last year! I'd bet the filter I removed was the original as I cut it open to have a look at the paper itself and it was fairly black also it was genuine one too. I've also replaced the o/s/r hub ***y, the bearings were just starting to go, the brake caliper was slightly sticking on the o/s too and the pads were badly worn, fitted Mintex pads at a reasonable €27/£23 delivered, along with new stainless retaining disc screws. It could do with the rear discs being replaced also, I'd say they are original too, so just to keep the car going I gave the discs a very light going over with the angle grinder till I get a pair of discs. Between the slight hum from the wh.bearing (didn't increase when cornering), the slightly sticky caliper old pads & discs I had some odd sounding intermittent noises coming from the rear.

Also, I fitted two front Heko wind deflectors http://www.ebay.co.u...=item20d1f39588 , not a fan really but they have stopped rain water getting on the door card & all over window switches, also the door glass is staying much clearer & cleaner for longer .Tyres were required on the front too so, as winter is on it's way I decided I'd opt for something that's meant to be good in the wet. After reading tyre tests etc I got a pair of Avon ZT5's fitted ( I had ZZ3's before on my old Merc and I was happy with them) & I'm happy enough with these - time will tell. The price was reasonable @ €170/£145 including a 4x4 wheel alignment.

Now I'm waiting on two Blueprint rear discs, see here: http://www.ebay.co.u...460d45960c#shId
Next up is to investigate a light knocking noise coming from the suspension, I'm presuming it's either drop links or a suspension arm - hope it's the links. Other than that, touch wood all seems o.k..

Well, the old girl passed the 100,000 mark yesterday and it still going great. The brakes are now better than they ever were since fitting rear discs/pads & freeing off a very slightly sticking o/s caliper. I've few items still to attend to and it could badly do with a wash and good hoovering.

The items that need attending to now are as follows:

1. Slight knocking from n/s/f.
2. O/s windscreen washer jet has a bit of a blockage.
3. Rattle from the n/s/f window regulator.
4. N/s dash vent broken.
5. Oil & filter change due. Engine using about 1/2lt every 1500 miles (happy with that).
6. Full valet/detail badly needed.
7. Brake fluid change due.
8. Engine coolant change due.
9. Pollen change due.
10. Clutch still slightly heavy, as it always has been since the day I bought the car. I got a LUK kit last December with the intentions of changing it but as there's been no slippage, so I've held off doing it.
11. O/s/r speaker now inop.
12. The slight whirring noise that developed after the cam belt was changed 16,000 miles ago is still there but I'm not too concerned about it, even if it's a bit odd that it should have happened with all new belts & tensioner fitted.
13. Still haven't cleaned out the EGR.

So, that's it for now

I do like reading your updates dude. And congrats on the milestone too.

P.S number 13 made me laugh.

Ha, ha. Cheers Simon, I'm glad somebody does! :D Yeah, passing the 100k mark was great, a little badge of honour for the old girl bearing in mind it was generally mistreated by the two previous woman owners and not helped at all by using it as a city car too.

I must say if I'm being a bit honest my updates on this old girl could be far better written, maybe a little less boring and factual. I could throw in a few thoughts about the car even if's nothing special to the great motoring mass out there but I'm really not too interested in doing that as my views are just sort of personal and it's all too easy to get attached to a car while appreciating how much better life is with a good set wheels carrying my *** about. Also too, I'm lazy about keeping the car tip top, No.13 is a classic example. Mind, I'd be happy to jump in now and drive across Europe and back as it is, there's not another 100k I'd take instead, not even one of my Merc's as I have more faith in the Honda, even if the Merc's can leave the Accord standing and wondering which way they went. I don't think I could pay the Accord a greater compliment than that.

But really I could do better looking after it. Some lads on here if they saw it would be horrified to see the silver paintwork is almost grey in colour (even if there's no rust)! :( I'd be disowned at GTG! :lol: Having said that I reckon it's got all it';s ponies still, handles well and would cruise all day at 90-100mph with ease if I was feeling lucky.

Anyway, I'll try to improve and get a few bits sorted over the coming months and I must see to the knocking noise as that's getting to me especailly on twisty rough B roads :D

nice update pal. The 6th gen is another example of fine Honda build quality. Having owned two in the past i can honestly say they are very strong and reliable. The clutch going hard is a normal honda thing which comes with Age. One of mine did this and i never bothered changing its. 40k later and it still didn't slip. If it bothers you get it changed pal. You'll find the pressure plate will be at fault and that the friction plate will still have life in it.Overall the 6th gen is a great car IMO and something that defined the Accord even more. The 7th gen has lived up to its name too and seems like the 8th gen is following suite. However the ultimate test will be how the Accord holds up in the future against its rivals. We know honda build great cars and they are strong but this alone will not win customers in this day and age. Die hard fans like us will always favour the accord but it needs to win the other brands over to really survive.

Yeah, Iron man it's the pressure plate alright and if it does end up collapsing before the new clutch kit is fitted it won't be the end of the world either. This is my 2nd 6th Gen too, the first one was an auto back in 2001 and my god did that get a roasting, the quickest car from London to Holyhead! ;) I actually changed the auto box oil & filter twice in 40k just in case! :lol: And it's still on the road today I believe. I do fancy a petrol 7th Gen but I may go looking for another 6th instead but a 2.0lt when the time comes, hopefully that won't be for a good while yet.

I too enjoy reading these, more so because I'm doing something similarish to mine in trying to revamp my car. Keep the updates rolling, and maybe post some piccies up too. :D

maybe post some piccies up too. :D

Ha, ha. You are having a laugh, I'd get slagged off and then banned! :lol:

No, joking aside, thanks and I will keep posting. If nothing else it's a good record for me to refer to when servicing etc and it might ***ist potential owners too.

Ha, ha. You are having a laugh, I'd get slagged off and then banned! :lol:

No, joking aside, thanks and I will keep posting. If nothing else it's a good record for me to refer to when servicing etc and it might ***ist potential owners too.

Thats the plan! :lol:

On a serious note, it would be interesting to see pictures of any improvements you make that are worthwhile seeing. E.g if you ever sort out the paintwork. :p

Thats the plan! :lol:

On a serious note, it would be interesting to see pictures of any improvements you make that are worthwhile seeing. E.g if you ever sort out the paintwork. :p

Did you see the photos of my go faster Sport steering wheel, cheap copy of a JDM gear knob that was black and know is going bronze, the extra gauges and not forgetting the most important addition of my duel tone horns? :lol:

Yes, I will post photos of before & after when I get around to doing the paint work even if the front bumper could do with a repaint and two dents could be knocked out too.

Hello again Guys, long time updating on my old Accord. Forgive me as I've been busy.

Actually, I've nothing really much say - no news is good news - bar the fact the car is going well overall. Now on 117k. I had the clutch kit changed at last, I bought the kit back in Nov 2012 as I knew it was heavy but only got around to getting it done now! The knocking noise from the front was worn A/R/B links, glad that's sorted as it was annoying and worse the problem didn't show up when the car was tested or inspected by the local garage but I changed them anyway, job done for a while as I bought a cheap pair and can't imagine them lasting for very long.

Below is the list of bits & bobs from Oct 2013 and several are still not sorted:
1. Slight knocking from n/s/f. Done.
2. O/s windscreen washer jet has a bit of a blockage. Done.
3. Rattle from the n/s/f window regulator.
4. N/s dash vent broken.
5. Oil & filter change due. Engine using about 1/2lt every 1500 miles (happy with that). Done and again @107k, 115k.
6. Full valet/detail badly needed.
7. Brake fluid change due.
8. Engine coolant change due. Done.
9. Pollen change due.
10. Clutch still slightly heavy, as it always has been since the day I bought the car. I got a LUK kit last December with the intentions of changing it but as there's been no slippage, so I've held off doing it. Done.
11. O/s/r speaker now inop.
12. The slight whirring noise that developed after the cam belt was changed 16,000 miles ago is still there but I'm not too concerned about it, even if it's a bit odd that it should have happened with all new belts & tensioner fitted. Next job , getting a bit concerned and it's annoying too, possibly a idler or tensioner on the way out?.
13. Still haven't cleaned out the EGR.

Oh, yes nearly forgot to mention the car failed to start last month, who'd have believed it? :( After two shots of trying to start her I could smell petrol, sure enough she was flooded. Pulled the plugs out and they were soaking, had a massive gap and were far from new looking, the insulators were dark brown at the base. Then it dawned on me I never changed them since owning the car, I reckoned I did but for some reason I hadn't. Yes, I do deserve a slap for such a basic error. Anyway, gapped them & heated them with the blowtorch and she fired straight up, fitted a new set the following day - the car is transformed, that's first time I can say that about any car I've owned by just fitting new plugs.

Next minor issue was the NCT (MOT), it failed!!!! Who'd have believed that either? :D Rear brake pipes corroded, so that will be sorted sometime this month, I'll have both pipes replaced even if I think it's just superficial corrosion.

So, that's it for now folks.