What's new

PAS fluid

john_d

Members
Reaction score
Car
Saab 9-5 Aero
can you just use halfords stuff or do you need to use proper honda spec.fluid?

thanks

You can use Halfords stuff. Auto trans fluid is the same thing, so you can put that in too. But the Honda power steering Fluid is actually very good. Its £15 about for bottle 1l. Thats what I run, I trackday and it copes.

I think its 1.1 or 1.2 litres, but you would want 2 litres if you want to do a mini flush out. Also I would not personally use halfords or third party fluids myself.

picking up some honda fluid tomorrow, to do a flush is it just a case of draining some old stuff and topping up with new, run the engine then draining and topping up again?

Pas systems self bleed. But to get most air out after a flush straight way go lock to lock on the steering wheel 10 -15 times. Do this slowly though otherwise it will over flow whilst the air makes its way up to the pas tank.

If you want to drain it and put new fluid in, then you need to take the return pipe off hook it to another pipe and put it in a pan for the fluid to come out, switch engine on and do lock to lock with steering, or you can just use a syringe of some sorts suck out the fluid from the reservoir, fill fresh fluid then do lock to lock with steering, and keep repeating until the fluid colour changes to the newish colour.

john_d said:
can you just use halfords stuff or do you need to use proper honda spec.fluid?

thanks
There is quite a bit of controversy over this topic.

Some say you can, others say the world will end if you put anything other than Honda fluid in.

If you look in the handbook, it does say only use the Honda specification product, which is expensive, and a cynic might refute this as "well they would say that wouldn't they"

However for other fluids, they recommend the Honda product, but also give an alternative specification.

When my system had a leak and needed topping up every two days, in ignorance, I just used the generic product. There was no problem, no foaming, nothing. When the garage sorted the leak, I'm pretty sure they used a general purpose product to drain and refill the system.

I think problems can occur when you try and mix the Honda product with a general purpose product.

I have had no problems with my system in the year that has now past.