What's new

Passive Regen mk8 diesel

edgeoftime

Members
Reaction score
Car
11 idtec tourer ex.
Anybody witnessed a passive regen occurring? I saw mine happening this morning on an unlit stretch of motorway, in the loom of following traffic I saw a cloud of "carp" emanating from my rear, wondered what the hell is that? it was a heavier discharge than I have ever seen even from the back of my mk7, which was pretty thick when the beans were applied. No warning lamps on the dash just this thick cloud of smoke, akin to my old Fords on the boat at start up on the boat. It cleared very quickly but traffic behind must have thought I was on fire. Was this a normal "happening" I am now at 59,600 miles, or is a drive oop't north in the offing?

You shouldn't ever see the DPF light under normal driving conditions. It's supposed to run the background.

F6HAD said:
You shouldn't ever see the DPF light under normal driving conditions. It's supposed to run the background.
Thanks for that F6HAD, just had read of the "book" and as you say it operates from time to time with no indication to the driver, you know what old uns are like when it comes to reading books. LOL. Slowly getting the drift but with a handbook as thick as Mathew, Luke, Mark and John, it will be a long time. Just learned that the TMC can butt in and advise rerouting if there is trouble ahead, just thought it was "HER" BEING CANTANKEROUS !!

If you ever see the light on the dash, it means the system has been unable to achieve a regeneration under normal driving conditions and it now needs the driver to take some urgent action.

The book will tell you that you need to take it for a drive in certain conditions etc.

My experience tells you that once you see that light on the dash even once, it's really just a matter of time before you need to remove or replace it.

If it did then nobody would need a removal

Well there is that lol

Joking aside, every time it regens it leaves some saturated ash in there that just can't be shifted.. eventually the system is blocked

F6HAD said:
Well there is that lol

Joking aside, every time it regens it leaves some saturated ash in there that just can't be shifted.. eventually the system is blocked
Who's joking? my Mrs just got back home, " WELL HOW MUCH DID YOU EARN?" £16 and Five pence, What tight git gave you the 5p? "All of them"