What's new

Performance difference between 5 speed and 6 speed diesels

luke w

Members
Reaction score
Car
CN2
I decided to time my remaped tourer the other day for a laugh to see how it compared to the factory figures and I noticed that the quoted 0-60 figures for the early and later 7th gen Accord diesels is quite significant, apparently the early 5 speed cars are 10.1 seconds to 60 and the facelift 6 speed cars are 9.1 seconds (figures from Parkers Used Car Guide). Is this all down purely to the gearbox differences? BHP and torque are quoted as being the same and the facelift is apparently another 20kg heavier. Is it just the gearing ratios used that makes this difference (top speed of the facelift cars is 2mph down apparently)?

Has anyone driven both the 5 and 6 speed models and is there really much difference between them in terms of how they drive, for better or worse?

You're probably correct, but I wouldn't know for certain.

I'm confused by the fact that you have a diesel tourer but your avatar says CM2 .....CM2 is K24 tourer B)

I don't know about other marques, but the Honda "type" naming convention is a can of worms.

The "type" can be found in the 4th & 5th & 6th characters of the VIN

I only know the 7th gen Accords, which are

CL7 = 2.0 petrol saloon
CL9 = 2.4 petrol saloon
CN1 = 2.2 diesel saloon

CM1 = 2.0 petrol tourer
CM2 = 2.4 petrol tourer
CN2 = 2.2 diesel tourer

IMO there needs to be a pinned post in the "Honda Accord Chat" section, with all of the type numbers for all Accords, and everyone should be asked to put the type number of their car in their avatar

At least you made an attempt ;)

Note that when I did my avatar I didn't know what I've put above. CM2 would be better than "K24 Tourer" :lol:

Y speed will keep the engine pulling in the sweet zone better where I find the 5 speed nice but the speed range for each gear is quite wide.

I've owned both and while I didn't particularly try racing either of them to compare times, the 5 speed has really long gearing to make up for the fact that it is only a 5 speed box, the 6 speed has much nicer spacing between the gears.

Thanks guys. Dave G, did you notice much difference in fuel consumption between the two?

And freddofrog, thanks for the info, my avatar has now been amended!

My 6 speed is a lot better on fuel consumption but I am doing a lot more longer journeys now than when I had the 5 speed so perhaps not a totally fair comparison. We took the 5 speed on holiday to the south of France fully loaded and it was fine doing that.

Dave G said:
I've owned both and while I didn't particularly try racing either of them to compare times, the 5 speed has really long gearing to make up for the fact that it is only a 5 speed box, the 6 speed has much nicer spacing between the gears.
Yikes. I've found the gap between 1st and 2nd on my 6 speed to be awkwardly wide for steep hill starts - you seem to need to pile on about 3000 revs in first to get about 1500 revs in second. If the 5 speed is even wider spread, I'd find that tough going.

From memory, I only had the 5 speed diesel, the first gear was only a crawler gear. I think would effect how quick you can get the car to 60mph.