What's new

Pete's fix list

uknowiama

Members
Reaction score
Car
CN1->FD2->DC2->CL7
I've had my 2005 Accord for just over 2 years, I bought it with 89k miles on it and I have taken it to 155k miles. In that time I have always made sure it was serviced on the dot and as consumables wore out they were always replaced ahead of time. It had to be it was my main car for work. So mechnically it is perfect at the moment, so much so I've just had Fahad remap it B) . However, there is a list of jobs that need sorting and could do with help getting them fixed any advice, pointers would be greatly appreciated :D I'm finally getting the free time to get these things sorted. (Got married, honeymoon, christmas, new year, new job).

So the issues......

Boot interior needs to go back in
I took it out to chase a leak, but now it needs to go back in. I tried to save as much of the fixings as possible, but any that are missing (may have broke in removing) is it just best to go to Holdcroft and get them ordered?

Restoring Leather Seats
The majority of the interior is in really good condition, all apart from the driver seat which is showing signs of age and use. What products / processes do people recommed to get them back in a good state?

Cracked fog lamp
I have a replacement in the garage which I sourced from a breakers. Not easy as everyone wants to sell you one for the pre-facelift petrol cars :rolleyes: . Anywho while my local mechanic was changing brakes for me, I asked him if he could do the fog lamp if it was straight forward. They tried, but everything was seized. So looks like I am going to have to set some time aside for this. I guess if penetrating fluid ain't going to budge the rusted bolts, screws, then I am going to have to drill them out? Is this a bumper off job? Or is there enough room to get your hands in, once the cover is off?

Driver's side headlight adjuster doesn't adjust
I believe I have located it on the back of the headlamp. I took the plug off and cleaned up the terminals, but still not working? Is there anything left to try before I try and source a replacement? Has anyone got a spare one before I send a request off to the breakers? Now this is my first car with a CANBUS, is there any resetting on the system or similar that I may have missed or will have to do after the new one has been installed?

Other stuff

That's the stuff that I would like to definitely do before selling. Howvever, there are a couple of other things that need sorting, but if I sell the car in a couple of months or run it into the ground (in two minds at the moment) do you think it is worth getting the following done.

Last summer I put a very small scuff on one corner of the rear bumper. A combination of too many work hours and trying to park under pressure (oh the shame :( ). I touched another car. Who has since had me pay for his car to be polished to remove his scuff. Then a couple of weeks ago I lent my car to the other half while I got her car an MOT and a puncture fixed. She brought my car back with a sheepish look and 1cm crack on the opposite corner of the rear bumper and another scuff.

There are a couple of scratches around the car

There are a couple of small dents.

There are a couple of chips on in the paint on the bonnet.

So the next question is, do you think it is really worth getting all these other things sorted? I mean if I am selling the car in a couple of months, do I just price it to reflect the condition or do I get these sorted and try and get a bit more for it. If the mileage was lower I'd get it sorted, but if I do sell the car is going to be on 160 to 165k miles or so? There is something to be said for having a car, that you're not over precious about the body work.

If I was to get this all sorted am I looking at taking it to a car bodyshop? Or can a mobile sprayer or such like fix all these things?

Sorry for the long post, but any help you can offer is much appreciated. Cheers. :)

Welcome to TA... Sure you'll fond your answers here.

^^^ Pete's been a member for ages you plum :lol:

Pete, in my opinion (as I told you on the day) get as much of the cheap fixes sorted as you can and give any potential buyer the least amount of room to haggle as possible.

Cracked leather really needs a professional refurb but do try the Autoglym leather cleaner and then the treatment cream it's really very good.

Missing fixings - just get them from HH.

Fog light is likely going to need to be drilled out mate. Taking the bumper off is easy, and the foglight is attached to the bumper itself.

On the headlight, it's possibly the motor itself that is goosed. When you take the bumper off to do the foglight, remove the headlight and have a play with it on the bench - maybe send a 12v supply to the motor and check if it spins..

All the stuff on your list easily do-able, just depends how much willingness you have to do it...

just testing ;)

Pete, you mentioned a leak in the boot - did you find it? I've got the same issue..

I didn't find the leak. I soaked the rear with the boot shut. Checked immediately, no water ingress. Checked a couple of hours later, no water ingress. Checked a couple of days later no water ingress. This winter I didn't have the water in the wheel well. I think the time I found it water is due to melted snow that had fallen in the boot (collects in the gully on the sides and between the rear screen and the lid).

**UPDATE**

Fog Lamp - Replaced with the spare that I sourced.

Headlight adjuster unit - The adjuster unit is receiving voltage, but the unit itself is not working. New one sourced and being replaced this week.

I didn't find the leak. I soaked the rear with the boot shut. Checked immediately, no water ingress. Checked a couple of hours later, no water ingress. Checked a couple of days later no water ingress. This winter I didn't have the water in the wheel well. I think the time I found it water is due to melted snow that had fallen in the boot (collects in the gully on the sides and between the rear screen and the lid).

**UPDATE**

Fog Lamp - Replaced with the spare that I sourced.

Headlight adjuster unit - The adjuster unit is receiving voltage, but the unit itself is not working. New one sourced and being replaced this week.

Half way there already, In terms of Leather how will you tackle that?

Sounds like good progress being made fella!