What's new

petrol VTEC or diesel accord opinions/help

kowalski

Members
Reaction score
Car
Subaru impreza wrx
Hi all,
New member here I have posted in the newbie forum firstbut have a few questions for you all. Have decided on going for a 8th gen accord as my new family car as I am a jap car lover and they seem very reliable and a wee bit different from the norm which I like. My problem is I am torn between the diesel and petrol, the purchase price seems to be virtually the same but obviously the diesel will be better on fuel (40+ mpg easily?) But you have the problem with the dpf/ poss turbo etc further down the road and I am def more of a petrol man at heart. What mpg mixed driving can I expect from the petrol? I have searched but not found much info on the petrol model as there are more 2.2s obviously. Is the petrol model nippy enough as I know the diesel can be remapped easily to 180+ HP? I would try a test drive in both but the neareast Honda dealer is 130 miles away so would appreciate any info and help
Thanks very much
Seumus.

How many miles will you be covering annually?

There is already a 180PS diesel model available.

The VED will be a bit cheaper for the diesel and I find the overall driving experience of a diesel far nicer. But the thought of having a DPF would put me off.

Hi jon, thanks form the reply, cover about 10k to 12k miles so not much and I realise that you should be covering big miles to get a diesel but can't really nail down a average mpg that I can expect from the petrol, if its 30mpg then the diesel would probably be
My choice

I've never subscribed to the apparent TA 'rule' that diesels are a poor choice for low annual mileage (the wear on a cold petrol engine is actually far worse) but - if a DPF is fitted - then the resulting short journeys could well become an irritating and expensive problem. I consider myself fortunate in having an Accord diesel that doesn't have a DPF.

The 8th gen dieseasel seem to be far less troublesome than Honda's first go at dieseasel, just make sure the service history is decent if you're buying second hand, and Fahad can always do something about the dpf for you if you wanted!! B)

If your already thinkin of a remap then no need to worry about the DPF, you really need to drive both cars to see which you prefer , i personally prefer the driving characteristics of the diesel for everyday driving , i only cover around 12k miles a year and have had 3 recent cars with dpfs and have had no problems with any of them ( 2 idtecs ) as long as you get the car up to normal running temp , the car relies on being able to perform its normal regeneration cycle which it does periodically at around every 500/600 miles , problems can arise when the engine is switched off mid cycle therefore not allowing the engine to fully burn off the excess soot , the real issue is of course the driver does not know when the car is in this cycle , apart from a distinct drop in mpg , which is the real issue of these cars for me, if something could notify the driver not to switch off until completed then i'm sure less DPF blockage problems would be reported .

Best thing to do is take the time to test drive one of each and then decide. These are not paper decisions.

As a guide, 2 litre Petrols average low 30s around town, low 40's on the motorway, the 2.4 a bit less, maybe 5% less.

The petrols are a bit cheaper to buy, less to go wrong and of course the lovely VTEC scream when you get the revs up.

I've driven the 2 Litre and the 2.2 Diesel. Both aren't bad at all. Must admit the performance from the diesel is pretty decent. The torque, if not the noise reminds me of my V6.

I own a 2.2 diesel 2006 saloon and have to say its has been an excellent buy. It has bee faultless since purchase 8 months ago.
Love driving it to work, it provides a lovely refined drive - not as refined as a lexus but refined for a Honda - lol.

I manage to achieve around 54 mpg average through out my trips which involves heavy m25 west side traffic
In the summer I can achieve around 60mpg - I ***ume diesels are more economical in the hot weather.
On average I can get 600 miles to tank without sweat and have approx. 40 miles left in the tank.

I also own a 2.2 H22 prelude which is has similar consumption to a k24 engine, I can only achieve around 300 miles to a tank which is around 30 ish mpg.

The diesel is great for range but as a subtle soft ride.
The k24 /type accord would have the refinement and performance but wont have the range.

It would be a personal decision though.
I am fortunate enough to have both worlds vtec and diesel but if I were to go down to one car I would most likely choose a facelift 7th gen accord type s 2.4 as this would provide me with a comfortable commuter to work and a car capable of going on track.

Good luck with the decision

Thanks so much to everyone who replied, its been a great help, was speaking to my wife tonight and have decided to go for the diesel as one of the main reasons of changing car is to get something a lot more economical than our current family car (impreza WRX so shouldn't be hard LOL) The DPF issue worries me a bit, but if its a problem I will cross that road when I come to it.
I just need to find a nice EX or ES GT saloon now, I love have something to look forward, the hunt is on............

Don't just look at the mpg, the diesel will need servicing more often and is slightly more expensive to service and buy, plus if higher mileage look at potential dpf/dmf/turbo/injector/egr issues down the road. Unless you are doing motorway miles you won't get better than high 30's mpg. Not saying diesel is bad but at your annual mileage of 12000 saying you will get the diesel to save on mpg would be a false economy over buying petrol. I've owned both a 2.4 petrol and a 2.2 diesel 8th gen (not many on here have) and would always recommend the petrol.

^^ he hit the nail on the head, tbh with your milage a petrol makes much more sense.

the world is your oyster with a yummy array of petrol engines out there, a facelift 2.4 accord is a very good choice, and you will get one for much less than a 8th gen diesel, the money you 'save' can go on road tax.

Why does a petrol model make more sense for someone doing 10-12k miles a year? Lower road tax and better MPG work out as a positive benefit whatever the annual mileage, surely?

Does the 8th gen diesel really only get high 30s MPG under non-motorway use? That's a fair bit worse than the 7th gen!

But I'd still avoid a diesel with a DPF...

there's more chance of nasty things happening to a diesel car.......so all that 'extra' mpg and road tax can be wiped out very swiftly.

8th gen economy is crap, i had a similar tale from Ireland my brother knew a guy at work who had a top spec model, he sold it, it needed a new clutch i remember, plus pants economy.

which begs the question why even bother with one in the first place, you could get a petrol 7th gen for far less money.

aye, but the OP started this in the 8th gen section, he wants 8th gen. But it seems that even Jon wouldn't buy an 8th gen diesel :eek:

I think you have answered your own question "and I am def more of a petrol man at heart"

Being a diesel owner for the past 8 years I can say it has been an excellent car, Its suffered from one clutch failure and that was due to a remap and once a new clutch went in it has been spot on.

Fahad right its not a paper decision but for me I doubt I will buy another petrol if i'm honest my daily commute takes 15 mins each way. I just love the drive and torque from a diesel and if i'm honest I don't care about the so called faults that may occur. All goes back to maintenance of the car IMO and luck of the draw.

That said the Petrol is no doubt a strong motor and very little goes wrong with it but the diesel Accord is also a fine machine.

Drive both, see what you think and then buy. If you worried about things that may go wrong in the future then no point getting out of bed in the morning.

I got an is250 instead of an 8th gen........i thought the 8th gen 2.4 i did have in mind was too expensive, i got my lexus for cheaper and it was the same year as the accord, all I had to do was fix up my sat nav.

toffee_pie said:
I got an is250 instead of an 8th gen........i thought the 8th gen 2.4 i did have in mind was too expensive, i got my lexus for cheaper and it was the same year as the accord, all I had to do was fix up my sat nav.
You sold your Honda and bought a Lexus Eric? I had no idea... you've kept that very quiet!

Jon_G said:
Why does a petrol model make more sense for someone doing 10-12k miles a year? Lower road tax and better MPG work out as a positive benefit whatever the annual mileage, surely?

Does the 8th gen diesel really only get high 30s MPG under non-motorway use? That's a fair bit worse than the 7th gen!

But I'd still avoid a diesel with a DPF...
If you are buying with your head rather than your heart you need to make a spreadsheet of all the costs - purchase price, service costs, fuel costs on real world mpg - diesel costs more than petrol remember, VED, insurance, repairs. Depending on how long you own the car for it generally takes 4 years to start saving money over a petrol engine doing approx 12000 miles a year and that's without any diesel related faults. If someone wants to negate dpf issues by going for a delete then you need to factor in the cost of doing that too. If you just like diesel power then go for it but if your concern is mpg then as I said above. Plus I also forgot in the winter months you will be cold for twice as long in the diesel waiting for that heater to warm up :)

Metis said:
... I also forgot in the winter months you will be cold for twice as long in the diesel waiting for that heater to warm up :)
The heater on my 7th gen diesel produces warm air on a cold start almost instantly, due to the reversible heat pump aircon*. I would expect the 8th gen to have this functionality as well.

*OK, I should admit that my aircon needs re-gassing, but it was nice a few winters ago when starting up at -12 degrees!

I don't think the 8th gen has this Jon as my diesel didn't get properly warm until my commute was nearly over as opposed to nice and toasty 10 mins in from driving the same commute in it's petrol brother!

It only does this when it's properly cold outside, but obviously you'd have noticed if your car had also done it.

In many ways, the 8th gen diesel seems quite unattractive compared to the 7th gen... tourer load capacity is less, the economy seems far worse, the engine is noisier and less responsive, plus the horror of having a DPF!

I did a quick cost ****ysis of my driving style of the cost of owning my 2.2 idtec and my 2.4 type s ,
Subjective i know but based on actual figures of 160 mile per £30 in the diseasal and 110 mile per £30 in the vtec , thats what i got / get , so on 12k mile a year thats over £1000 saving on fuel alone !! Let alone cheaper tax , the deisel starts to make sense ? Especially if if prefer the torque as opposed to having to rev the nuts off it to get any decent performance .
The petrol is much more smooth and the silky gearbox is far superior to the diesels i have to
admit , but if someone had made a perfect car wouldnt we all be driving it ?

Jon_G said:
You sold your Honda and bought a Lexus Eric? I had no idea... you've kept that very quiet!

did i say its a very good car too and never breaks down :p, maybe i should go on the 9 o clock news and make it known.. :p

8thgenfan said:
I did a quick cost ****ysis of my driving style of the cost of owning my 2.2 idtec and my 2.4 type s ,
Subjective i know but based on actual figures of 160 mile per £30 in the diseasal and 110 mile per £30 in the vtec , thats what i got / get , so on 12k mile a year thats over £1000 saving on fuel alone !! Let alone cheaper tax , the deisel starts to make sense ? Especially if if prefer the torque as opposed to having to rev the nuts off it to get any decent performance .
The petrol is much more smooth and the silky gearbox is far superior to the diesels i have to
admit , but if someone had made a perfect car wouldnt we all be driving it ?

its Daysul........!

toffee_pie said:
maybe i should go on the 9 o clock news and make it known.. :p
alarming to think that in a different universe that might have already happened :eek:

its Daysul........!

Well i have to say i expected a lot more abuse / counter debate back than that ??
Scrooge ...at least ? Lol

8thgenfan said:
its Daysul........!

Well i have to say i expected a lot more abuse / counter debate back than that ??
Scrooge ...mm i
Eric appears to be suggesting that the perfect car you were imagining would be diesel (or 'daysul', as they say in Southampton).

Or maybe he damaged his keyboard by dribbling onto it before he was able to finish his stream of insults?

nah, in Ireland that is what we call it, Ireland is full of 'daysul's' its a bit comical at this stage the amount of them on the road. In most cases people have sold perfectly good petrol cars to be the proud owner of a more tax friendly 'daysul' version. Nothing wrong with that but the saving of a few hundred Euro a year on tax is offset by a large loan to fund this lavish lifesyle of black smoke. Only in Ireland......

In comparison to tax my Lexus in Ireland would cost you....wait for it, over 1,000EU for a year, don't know the exact figure but i think its over that.

cant beat the government in Ireland.