What's new

Pinking

PeterB

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord
Hi all

I've had a 2007 Accord for a couple of weeks. The car has only covered 15000 miles.

The engine makes a sound like loud Pinking until its warmed up. (Which takes about 20 minutes driving) Its going into the dealer Sunday evening so they can try it from cold on Monday morning. I wondered if anyone here has any ideas ?

Peter

My wife heard it today and says its a mechanical rattling not Pinking. Shows how much I know !

Peter

If it's only happening at a certain point in the rev range, it's quite normal and is down to the injectors. It should be a subtle noise though and you shouldn't hear it in the cabin.

As Carl says, check the oil level - ensure it has 0w/30 oil in it and stick your head under the bonnet to see if you can hear it from anywhere in particular. Could be a rattling timing chain but unlikely at 15k miles.

It had a full Honda Main Dealer service at 13500 miles. Oil is Mobil 0w 30 and is upto the maximum mark.

The noise is loud enough to hear in the car in second and third gears.

Peter

Let's wait to hear what your dealer says Peter. Noise is a very subjective thing sometimes.. what's normal to one person, may not be to another.

welcome to ta peter as the guys said i would see what the dealer says.I would say its nothing to worry about as these cars are very quiet and any noise can be alarming.my bet its the normal sound of the injecters which is a slight rattle at 1.5 /2rpm

You could also post up a recording of the sound, at least then people will be able to hear it and say if it is normal

like others have said, noise/rattles in cars are very subjective. I have noticed with this engine it's certainly has more 'diesel rattle' when outside temp < 3oC until warm, but even when warm there is still a trace...esp recently when local temp have been as low as -12oC !

Just back from the dealer who couldn't get it to make a sound.

It was loud last week when temperatures were freezing or below - it seems to have gone now that the temperature has warmed up. Maybe I should just keep the fan on high and the radio loud when its cold.

My previous car was a Passat with the old 1.9 engine - it was much quieter than this Engine when its cold.

Peter

My previous car was a Passat with the old 1.9 engine - it was much quieter than this Engine when its cold.

Peter

I find that very hard to believe. Those PD engines are great and we have one in the family, but they're certainly not quiet or refined. Maybe your car does have a problem then.

a Passat with the old 1.9 engine - it was much quieter than this Engine when its cold.

How do you get tea off a monitor?

Something not right if you think the Passat is quieter cold or warm the Accord is wins hands down, it was a diesel Passat wasn't it?

Are there no other symptoms, sluggish or anything ?

Does the noise go at say 1200rpm and is it just on initial driving off or standing idle?

Its at about 1500 revs. It sounds like loud Pinking. It stops by about 2000 revs. Car seems to perform OK. About as quick as the Passat. Once its fully warm its quieter than the Passat was - but its definitely noisier when cold. I'm using Shell diesel (maybe the car was previously used with someting else ?). I will try filling up with something else today to see if that affects the noise. I am heading up to Lancashire for the next few days - so will not be able to post after today.

Peter

That noise sounds like it is consistent with injectors at that point in the rev range, and of course noises are always subjective. I would say the VW PD engines do not have a similar sound at any point in the rev range (I am quite familiar with the PD engines) so maybe that's why you think the Passat was quieter.. but overall the ICTDI is considerably quieter than the PD engines.

Now I'd agree that the newer PD engines are quieter, particularly when cold. Mate has an A4 2.0 PD and it doesn't make hardly a sound in the cabin. My old Audi 80 with the original B4 TDI, now that was noise (but a cracking engine!)

the reason the ictdi is quieter than the 1.9 passat is its unique pilot injection. This is due to the changing fuel injection parameters at this speed. The fuel system uses "pilot injection" as a means of softening diesel knock noise. The pilot injection is a small injection before the main injection but due to the standard limitations of the fuel injection and electronic control system it is not possible to use pilot injection during all speed and load conditions. The increase in noise, which is present on all diesel engines, is when the pilot injection is switched off. This is a characteristic that some customers may notice more than other based on their individual driving style i.e. throttle position, gear choice etc. but should not be considered a defect

Now I'd agree that the newer PD engines are quieter, particularly when cold. Mate has an A4 2.0 PD and it doesn't make hardly a sound in the cabin. My old Audi 80 with the original B4 TDI, now that was noise (but a cracking engine!)

Well my neighbours 60reg A3 2.0PD makes a hell of a racket, really noticeable last week when it was very cold. For me the ICTDI remains the most refined sounding diesel Ive heard accept some of the very large capacity german units.

Great explanation there by Beefy as usual :lol:

I think the few that know me well on here will testify my love for VAG's in general... but truthfully speaking, I don't believe I've ever heard another 4 cylinder diesel as quiet as the i-CTDI.

I can concur with the quietness of the honda, family has also owned 2 passat 130pd merc 270 diesel, avensis diesel. They all louder, except inside the cabin on some due to insulators. The honda also works through the rev much more smoother, maybe a bit lazy feeling sometimes. Infact the passat is so loud it drowns the honda side by side. Being quiet doesn't make it better by any means though, *** pd's are work horses.