What's new

Playing mp3 cd's in a standard head unit?

Masterjee

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord ICTDI
Hi gyus - just tried to play mp3 tracks on an 07 accord - it reads only 1 track and silence!! Why? I have a Civic and that plays mp3s fine! It's a 56 plate! I was expecting better. Is there a way round this? It's got a touch screen and SAT Nav built in so I don't want to start messing with it.

Thanks.

It won't play mp3 discs. Easiest method is am fm transmitter, then xcarlink, then alternatives.

Or you could by an 8th gen ;)

If it's the touch screen it'll have the 6cd multichanger and that doesn't read mp3.

My mp3 tracks are all converted. via windows media player and I can burn around 18 tracks to a blank cd. This plays without any problems in my accord. I have the executive model with the satnav and 6 disc changer.

It may depend on which version Satnav disc you have loaded, when I had HMIManager disassembled from v3.40 there was a lot of code relating to mp3 files, but as I was working on something else I didn't pay too much attention to them.

Not saying for sure, but it might be interesting to see which version you have that doesn't play versus those that do. I have the XCarlink so never tried myself.

Interesting - not sure if I tried playing an MP3 disc before or after I upgraded my Sat Nav disc. Think I am on 3.22. Pretty sure it was after thinking about it.

My mp3 tracks are all converted. via windows media player and I can burn around 18 tracks to a blank cd. This plays without any problems in my accord. I have the executive model with the satnav and 6 disc changer.
then they're not mp3 tracks you'd get an awful lot more on a disc than 18 if they were mp3's

Good point Paul....Perhaps was looking at MP3 files that make up the verbal instructions?

The discs have software upgrades for the headunit; although I would have been surprised if it affected something like this

if yours can't read mp3 disc then no ones can.

then they're not mp3 tracks you'd get an awful lot more on a disc than 18 if they were mp3's

Yeah burning via Windows Media player as an Audio CD, will give you tracks in a std audio CD format. You'll get around 15 - 20 tracks on a disc depending on song length etc and the nav unit will read this.

You can also burn mp3 via windows media player but would get hundreds of songs on a disc as it'll burn to data size rather than length that burning as an Audio CD will give - about 80 mins.

I tried out of curiosity when I got my Accord and had the same results, playing one silent track. It's strange that it even bothers pretending to read it, I'd expect it just to say disc error or something.