What's new

Poor Fuel Economy

Asim

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
This has been a concerning issue to me, I think my Accord is giving poor economy compared to most
Mods are - Cat Back, induction kit with Mushroom filter lol
Im getting roughly 350 miles on a full tank which is 11 gallons
This works out at 31/32 mpg anybody got any advice lol?
Ps I this is when I don't vtec and shift at 2.5k revs
Mostly motorway commuting

Mileage has just touched 45k
Lowered on BC Racing Coilovers
Boot its empty, no junk, no spare tyre etc...

Hmm, I get about that (sometimes slightly better) from the 2.4, so perhaps your economy is slightly low, but it doesn't sound too bad to me to be honest. I mean a 1.8 NA engine is reasonably small for a car the size of the 6th gen Accord.

Is your mileage town, motorway or mixed. If it's town and/or mixed, I don't think it's that bad. If that's 350 Motorway miles keeping the revs below 2.5K then yeah, there's something not quite right.

General things to check though:

How are your tyres and tyre pressures?
Are your brakes slightly sticking? This is pretty common with 6th and 7th gen Accords
Is your Air Con working as it should? Air Con can always use power and affect economy
When was it last serviced? Perhaps a thorough overhaul of fluids, spark plugs, filters (especially if your after market air filter is grubby) etc
Get a code reader on it to check all's well with sensors etc.

See what the others say though.

350 miles sounds about right for a 6 gen

350 miles mixed dude
Tyre pressures are checked at least once a week due to temp changes etc...
Last serviced about 5k miles ago
I don't use aircon, I know the gas has ran out of it though

I'm thinking of getting it checked on a code reader

As brett said a few people have said 350 miles is alright
Then others have said that's poor :S

Yeah, get the codes read, and check your brakes aren't slightly sticking (look for hot wheels after a drive or uneven pad wear. But I'm with Brett, 350 mixed from a 1.8 6th Gen I think is pretty fair.

Did you used to get more, have you noticed a drop in MPG? Or has it always been this way?

I get around 420-440 miles to a tank with motorway driving, or 340-360 town driving from my 2.0, and I don't believe there's a great deal of difference between the 1.8 and 2.0.

I can get 400 from a cruise, but 350ish through normal driving.

350 is poor considering it's only a 1.8 engine, but thats good for an accord believe me...., i usually get around 28 mpg

but thats entirely urban....

About right unfortunately!!! :(
I get about the same, mixed driving town and A road 29mpg-32mpg. Best i did was 34mpg. Shifting around 2k - 2.5k
On Motorway iirc was about 38mpg, and that was sticking to the limit, as one should.

Its almost the same as BMW 330, on paper :mad:

Im getting roughly 350 miles on a full tank which is 11 gallons
t

If you really want to check the exact mpg, you'll need to brim the tank (zero the trip meter), do 200 miles or so and re-brim the tank. Then there's no guess work.

Mine's a 1.8 also, without trying and giving it a good thrashing I'm get around 34mpg.

2.2 Type R and I regularly get over 350 to a tank.

Apparently we have 65 litre tanks which I didn't realise

To me 350 miles on a full tank is appalling
Considering that mines is 45k miles, regularly serviced and maintained to a good standard

@Luvmyaccord a few people have told me that the H22's can get almost identical mpg to the non type Rs

@Luvmyaccord a few people have told me that the H22's can get almost identical mpg to the non type Rs

The H22's can sometimes get better MPG than the SOHCs! I have a H22A7 swapped into my CH7, and am getting about 2-3mpg average more than I did with the F20B6, and that's with my non-standard H22. I can only imagine it's less effort for the engine to pull all the weight around, as the Accords are a heavy car.

Did you know that on the continent, they sold our Accords with a 1.6 D16 non-vtec and a 2.0TD rover unit? Imagine how horrible they are to drive! :D