What's new

Poor Handling (Understeer)

nodrogs

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord 2.2
Maybe its because I used to drive MGs, but I'm finding the handling from the accord a little disappointing on roundabouts. Understeer is very quick to happen at anything over 40mph (talking about decent sized roundabouts here!). Even with new winter tyres - goodyear ug7+ which should be one of the best. On a fast sweeping bends there is no problem, turn in and you can feel all the grip that everyone talks about with the winter tyres. So I thought maybe its just greasy roads. Until yesterday, when a wee Clio went past me on the inside and no matter what I couldn't catch him the car just felt on the limit. I know the MG is a different sort of a setup but I would have thought the accord should be better?

Maybe its because I used to drive MGs, but I'm finding the handling from the accord a little disappointing on roundabouts. Understeer is very quick to happen at anything over 40mph (talking about decent sized roundabouts here!). Even with new winter tyres - goodyear ug7+ which should be one of the best. On a fast sweeping bends there is no problem, turn in and you can feel all the grip that everyone talks about with the winter tyres. So I thought maybe its just greasy roads. Until yesterday, when a wee Clio went past me on the inside and no matter what I couldn't catch him the car just felt on the limit. I know the MG is a different sort of a setup but I would have thought the accord should be better?

It might be worth getting a full geo done on the car.
understeer generally comes from a poor suspension, geo / allignment setup.

When i had my wheels and tyres changes i eperianced very poor handling from the accord, after going to a trusted garage my toe, camber & castor where all slightly out. A few alterations later she was back to her old self :).

The accord is a big car but it should feel planted and very positive on driver input to the steering.

The diesel is nose heavy, probably dont help. Being winter tyres only make them better in the wet, in the dry they will reach their limits quickly.

Clios handle well mind, comparing it too a big heavy exec.

The accord is a heavy car theres no two ways about it and unfortunately there no getting around physics. having said that what width are your tyres? additoinally i thought winter tyres had deeper/wider grooves between the treads reducing the contact area of the tyre but allowing thaem to gain more purchase on slushy/snowy/icy or extremely wet (ie rivers of water coursing across the road surface) - you may find it better in the dry on normal tyres. The amount of weight up front over the wheels in the 2.2 diesel is also not going help

Dan gave me a ride in his car after having A speck suspension fitted.It was like a different car

Thanks for the replys so far fellas.

I had a full geo setup done a few months ago, car drives nice and straight and tyre wear has remained even across the thread (except a wee bit at the rear with the usual rear camber issue). The winter tyres are on stock 16s. To be honest, I'm finding the understeer worse in the wet (it was wet yesterday) with the winter tyres than I did with the summer tyres. I thought it would be the opposite (albeit the winter is a narrower tyre). There's also a bit of body roll would worn endlinks cause understeer? Will be interested how it feels when the summer tyres go back on again.

Would love a better suspension setup but thats not an option I'll be allowed to do

I did have to take a detour yesterday down a back country road and the car did felt pretty good on it and sure footed. Just the extra cut on the roundabouts seems to be the problem.

have to say ny a-spec is the k9's globes. the disel is only 70kg more than petrol, but i suppose that is like an extra passenged... still, you won't be manouvering a go-kart like a clio, especially in the wet.

what tyres are you running and what condition are they in ,what psi tyre pressure you running?

Tyres are goodyear ultragrip 7+, they do consistently well in both magazine reviews and user feedback reviews. I've been experiementing with psi to see if it makes any improvement. Sitting at 34/35, feels a little too skitish and appears to make the understeer worse. Now down to 31/32, less skitish but still understeers. Tyres have 1000 miles on them.

Maybe I'm just expecting too much from the car, but at the end of the day, I'd still take the accord over a clio :lol:

Clio has a better centre of gravity than the Accord in my opinion, and the diesel accord is especially worse due to the heavier lump up front. Plus you're running stock suspension (set up for comfort) on skinny 16" tyres that are designed for winter use... not really a great recipie mate ;)

You want handling, lower her, get a full geometry done and then consider wider better quality all year tyres.

Clio's shorter wheelbase also plays a major part in it - but then you're driving a lovely Accord - not that French tu7d :D