What's new

Popping bulbs. Grrrr

luvmyaccord

6th & Type R Mod
Reaction score
Car
Accord Type R
Hey dudes,

Long time since I've been on, I'll try to get on more frequently.

Still loving my tourer. It's taken me across Europe and all over the UK. And even got 499.4 miles from ONE tank of petrol! (85% motorway).

But recently he's starting popping quite a few bulbs.

In the last 3 months I've done:

1 times n/s brake light
2 times n/s dipped bulb
2 times o/s dipped beam
1 times n/s rear bulb
1 times o/s rear bulb

Interior bulb (only drivers side) stopped working twice, but both times has come back on after a couple of days.

Anyone else's 7th gen have a fetish for bulbs?

Nah, other than registration plate bulbs at the back and side lights, and one HID nothing's ever gone on mine. Maybe you've got a little moisture ingress that causing them to short. Have a look for signs of tired, cracked rubber seals around the light clusters.

I did go through a phase of replacing blown dipped headlamp bulbs in bulk, probably 6 or 7 in a year. But then I stopped buying Lucas bulbs from the local filling station and now use only Osram or Philips (tend to last over a year). I still get through a few sidelight/numberplate bulbs, but probably because I buy really cheap boxes of them from eBay.

Increased output halogens headlamps definitely do have a shorter life though.

Amazingly, our Toyota (bought from new in 2003) has never needed a replacement bulb of any sort.

The first thing I would check is the regulating voltage , that's the voltage when you are revving your vehicle say a steady two thousand rpm , it should read about 14.5 volts approximately , if it is in excess of this it would cause your bulbs to pop .It would be an idea to check your battery electrolyte , if you can check it , make sure the cells are covered , top up with distilled water , next thing check your earth connection are they slack on the battery or is there a bonding strap that is loose , please come back if it isn't one of these , and ill try to get my thinking cap on .