What's new

Positive Battery Terminal

Taffytim

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer 2.0
Ive noticed that the clamp the goes onto my positive battery post is not very tight fitting so I'm looking for a new clamp. A the Honda one is a quick release type im looking to stay with type.

Where do you get these from?

I cant seem to find any on the net apart from one place that was asking about $40 and that seemed to come with a small bit of loom?: http://www.dealerdirectparts.com/2003-HONDA-ACCORD-LX-Battery-Cable-Positiv-p/honda-3381534-accord-lx-4.htm

I would think it would have to come with some loom, you would need a special crimp tool to make sure the couple of hundred amps will get from the terminal into the fat starter cable when cranking the starter.

Other than crimping, the only other way of fitting a terminal to the cable is a terminal with cable bolts

btw if you want to check the dealer price, start on this link
http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_catalogue_C01.php

EDIT: taking a guess for your car, is it like item 9 here .....£109

Had the same problem. Mechanic told me to put a small screw between the clamp and terminal and tighten. Did it, problem very effectively solved.

I created a shim of copper from a short piece of 15mm (or 1/2 inch) copper pipe. 1.5cm length should do it. Slice the copper on one side so you can open it up. Slide on the post, refit the clamp over it. Seems to work fine. Cost next to nothing.

That's much better than using a screw, as it should maintain a much larger area of contact. But I'm not sure what corrosion effects might occur at the copper/lead interface in the longer term?

I would prefer to buy a cheap replacement battery clamp from, say, Halfords. So long as it fits properly.

Hi Timothy, If your clamp is the normal type whereby the bolt tightens the gap which then clamps it round the Terminal then just file/grind down a bit on each inner side of where the bolt goes through and this will make it a tighter fit :) .

Had the same problem when I bought a new battery. The positive terminal was too loose. Just bent a strip of brass around the battery terminal to make it bigger, gave a much tighter fit.

Tom