What's new

Possible manifold problem

jtopps

Members
Reaction score
Car
05 CDTi Tourer
So my CDTi might be showing signs of the well documented dreaded manifold fatigue. Whilst at Fahads workshop he said he smelt a bit of a whiff in the engine bay and whilst driving it sometimes behaves a bit peculiar. I started the car once and it made this really strange noise whilst idling, like this kind of booming lumpy noise even though the RPM was steady and normal. The noise disappeared after about 30 seconds or so. Also whilst driving the car sometimes has a pretty severe power cut out whilst accelerating in 3rd gear or higher and the engine is under load. The Car kind of cuts out then regains momentum and carries on like normal and it seems to do this at random. Sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesn't. The best way to describe it is very like a misfire with a petrol engine. When I get chance I'm gonna have a poke around the manifold and see if I can find a leak, if I do find one I think I'll have to invest in a set of gaskets (are these only available from a dealer?) so I can take the manifold off, get a bit of welding practice (I'm not great, the results are messy but the joins are strong and I can always tidy it up afterwards). Or if I can't be bothered to do it myself I'll take it to Fahads place as they can repair it for a good price.

Is there anyone else that has had the manifold problem? What was your experience of it?

Power cut is more likely fuel filter as discussed mate

Loads of us have suffered cracked manifolds (same problem on Civics as well). Doesn't cause any problems that I've ever noticed, except for the smell of fumes when cold if you don't drive off straight away.

You have pretty much described a restricted fuel filter... when was it last changed, and is it the correct OEM part?

I have no idea tbh, I'm gonna have a look through the service history (it does have full service history which is nice) and see what it says. Is there anyone on here who has done a DIY filter fit? I know it won't be expensive in terms of labour but kinda having to penny pinch where I can at the moment.

Fahad did a service guide, which included the FF replacement. A bit of a fiddly job the first time you do it.

Yeah it's not difficult. I'll get the lads to do it for £20 bud. Just get the part and please please please only buy from the main dealer!!

Cracked manifold can cause vibrations and boom into the interior depending on outside temp. The colder the temp outside the worse it sounds and feels.

Yeah, I think I'm looking at two seperate problems here. Power cut is probably due to the filter and the booming noise and the smell from the manifold.

My student loan came in today so I popped down to the Honda dealer and got this goodie bag.

I then went round to Fahads workshop and one of the lads kindly fitted the fuel filter for me (would have done it myself but it looks a royal pain in the bum). It's lucky I live round the corner from the workshop and it's coming in very handy because when the old filter came out it looked like this

Not exactly a quality item and certainly not OEM quality. No wonder it was suffering from fuel starvation with the black gunge that was coming out the bottom of it. The car drives so much smoother now and I'm not 100% sure but it actually feels like it has a wee bit more power. I could be imagining it and just a bit over enthusiastic with my right foot now I don't have to worry about it clogging and jerking the car. Big thanks to Fahad and the lads again for being so accomodating and helpful. Time to save a few pennies for the manifold to get fixed now.

No probs mate. Did you enjoy the Saab?

The Saab is a beast mate! Accelerating in that thing is pretty frantic haha. Big chunk of torque from the turbo and it just pulls relentlessly. Also makes me want the Mazda back on the road now it's starting to get warmer but it's got a long way to go yet.

The Saab is great mate! It pulls like crazy and accelerating is frantic because of the torque haha. Having the roof down was making me want the Mazda back on the road with it getting warmer now too but its got a long way to go yet.