What's new

Possible radiator issues

Kool Keith

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord i CTDi 2.2
Hi

About 2 weeks ago I noticed when I'd do the school run in the am my car was taking a long time to blow warm air, by daughter's school is about 10min away. Anyway I figured my coolant levels were low, so I topped the car right up. Car was running fine, then its started happening again and the temp gauge went right up. Last week I had to refill the whole resovouir.

Anyway yesterday, I was driving from Brum to Nottingham and on the motorway my car started overheating, I popped the bonnet and there was just under the min mark of coolant, i topped of with water, on my way back to brum I picked up coolant topped the car and drove back.

This morning I drove my daughter to school, I popped the bonnet and the coolant was bone dry, so I topped up and let the car run for about 10mins. I noticed the car was blowing cold air, slightly warming when I was driving, about 7mins into the journey the car starts smoking. When I got home I popped the bonnet, the car lost about half the coolant from the short journey, the right corner of the bonnet its wet. The picture below is after the school run. Ive checked the coolant levels since and they are the same.

I think it might be the radiator

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 10
If you get smoke (usually white) it sounds like a blown head gasket.
The missing coolant must go somewhere, either via leakage, boiling or via the combustion chamber (blown head gasket).
Block test is an easy way to find out if you have exhausts in your coolant

If you get smoke (usually white) it sounds like a blown head gasket.
The missing coolant must go somewhere, either via leakage, boiling or via the combustion chamber (blown head gasket).
Block test is an easy way to find out if you have exhausts in your coolant
Its the radiator. I'm having difficulty finding one

I would have suggested the thermostat if you weren't sure it's the radiator.