What's new

Potential 2.0 i-VTEC Owner

stu08

Members
Reaction score
Car
TBC
Hi all,

Have hopefully got myself a new Accord 2.0 i-VTEC (2003). Couple of questions before I test drive:

1) Should I feel some form of changeover on the K20A6 engine? I've seen the 2.4 i-VTEC changeover at 5800 RPM on youtube and was wondering if the 2.0 would be similar? (I used to have an EP3 Type R; so not expecting that level of change).

2) Any issues to look out for on a car with over 100,000 miles?

Thanks for any help or information.

The i in the i-VTEC gives away the answer to your question. It stands for imaginary. You imagine you've got VTEC and notice a little change in exhaust note.

2.0 vtec is not agressive like the ep3. The 2.4 is a little better and has a cross over but can't compare to the ep3

Ive had both, I didn't ever notice a change over in the 2.0 sport I had, not to say it isn't a decent engine, it does make respectable power.
But the 2.4 is much more willing, it makes decent power at low to mediem revs as well as the high rev change over, a good all rounder.

That's good information guys; thanks.

I'm suprised that I can feel an increase in acceleration around 4500 RPM; with a change in engine note too (nothing like my EP3, but still noticeable). Is this not normal?

Yes, there is a slight difference as the vtec is there but only on intake, the exhaust cam has vtc only.

the cl9 k24 and ep3 k20.when both have been remapped have the same feel on the vtec crossover,its very smooth.no vtec kick like on stock k20

stock k24 still feels dull vs ep3 k20
small vtec window 6000-7100.every time you change up a gear it falls out of vtec.

also euro r is k20a with bigger tb and manifold than ep3 k20

Thanks for the replies; it's good to understand more about this engine.

I'm impressed by the 2.0 engine; after reading comments on here, I was worried it'd feel slow. Actually pulls well for 127000 miles; and sounds good to boot. Need to get it serviced soon. I'm thinking:

1) Plugs
2) Oil
3) Coolant
4) Valve clearances

Does anyone know of a decent Honda independent in Oxford?

I'm not aware of any Honda dealership in Oxford but it may be prudent to visit Hond-R based in Abingdon, Oxfordshire who are well known in the Honda car scene by many. A quick Google search will bring up their website. Speak to Maz say Faz recommended you.

Iv got both cars an 06 2litre and an 03 k24, my 06 is facelift so has the k20z2 engine (I think it has different cams and a bigger resonator in the intake compared to prefacelift) and I can say it is a very good engine, once it gets going it is nippy. I was going to get my valve clearence done but an ex honda mechanic heard the engine and said it does not need doing, but is good to get them checked out at your mileage