What's new

Power gain!

2.4_Roar

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord MKVIII 2.4
First things first. I don't work for any oil companies etc.

I've been running my 2.4 on the cheapest unleaded that I can find for the last few years and lately the car has really started to feel lumpy on acceleration and slow to pick up.

I spoke to a few different people about having the engine de-coked with one of those flushing services but the prices were ridiculous.

Then someone recommended cataclean fuel additive but after some searching around online another person pointed out that cataclean and all of the other additives only work for as long as you add them to the fuel.

Whereas if you buy premium unleaded, you get stronger detergents and a higher octane fuel. You also don't get Ethanol mixed in with your fuel, which is probably the worst thing to happen to petrol since lead.

So I waited for the fuel light to come on and drove the car for another few trips until the needle was resting on the 0 of the fuel gauge but that's as far as I would dare. I filled the tank with Shell V Power Nitro+ stuff.

May is usually the month when I service the car with a new air filter, oil filter and pollen filter and usually GTX Magnatec. This time I decided to try a different oil that I'd heard about - Millers nanodrive. There was an article done by some car mag where they ran an Astra VXR and Focus ST on a rolling road with Magnatec then drained them and ran them again with Millers Nanodrive and they both made more torque and power. (Also ran a little cooler but I couldn't give a plop about that)

So I serviced it on the weekend with Millers and at first didn't notice any difference but about a week later and another tank of fuel....holy crap did it make a difference. It's like a different car. It blasts up to 120+ in seconds (on a private road of course).

It costs around 10p a litre more but when the difference in performance is as mental as that I think it's worth it. You're supposed to get better fuel consumption using it too. Well here is what happened. On a 270 mile trip (on a private track of course) cruising speed was a steady 95. It was then accidentally 120 for about 5 minutes when a BMW tried to touch my back bumper....he failed of course! It then did a week of driving to work and back at normal speeds and the end result was 427 miles to a tank. Important to note that includes ignoring the fuel light again for a few days.

Some cars don't seem to respond to these high octane fuels but I can tell you for sure that mine did and I'm never going back to the ethanol filled cheap crap again. If you've got a 2.4 try it. Also give that millers stuff a go and let me know what you think.

2.4_Roar said:
First things first. I don't work for any oil companies etc.

I've been running my 2.4 on the cheapest unleaded that I can find for the last few years and lately the car has really started to feel lumpy on acceleration and slow to pick up.

I spoke to a few different people about having the engine de-coked with one of those flushing services but the prices were ridiculous.

Then someone recommended cataclean fuel additive but after some searching around online another person pointed out that cataclean and all of the other additives only work for as long as you add them to the fuel.

Whereas if you buy premium unleaded, you get stronger detergents and a higher octane fuel. You also don't get Ethanol mixed in with your fuel, which is probably the worst thing to happen to petrol since lead.

So I waited for the fuel light to come on and drove the car for another few trips until the needle was resting on the 0 of the fuel gauge but that's as far as I would dare. I filled the tank with Shell V Power Nitro+ stuff.

May is usually the month when I service the car with a new air filter, oil filter and pollen filter and usually GTX Magnatec. This time I decided to try a different oil that I'd heard about - Millers nanodrive. There was an article done by some car mag where they ran an Astra VXR and Focus ST on a rolling road with Magnatec then drained them and ran them again with Millers Nanodrive and they both made more torque and power. (Also ran a little cooler but I couldn't give a plop about that)

So I serviced it on the weekend with Millers and at first didn't notice any difference but about a week later and another tank of fuel....holy ***** did it make a difference. It's like a different car. It blasts up to 120+ in seconds (on a private road of course).

It costs around 10p a litre more but when the difference in performance is as mental as that I think it's worth it. You're supposed to get better fuel consumption using it too. Well here is what happened. On a 270 mile trip (on a private track of course) cruising speed was a steady 95. It was then accidentally 120 for about 5 minutes when a BMW tried to touch my back bumper....he failed of course! It then did a week of driving to work and back at normal speeds and the end result was 427 miles to a tank. Important to note that includes ignoring the fuel light again for a few days.

Some cars don't seem to respond to these high octane fuels but I can tell you for sure that mine did and I'm never going back to the ethanol filled cheap ***** again. If you've got a 2.4 try it. Also give that millers stuff a go and let me know what you think.
Hi Ross,
Exactly which oil did you use? In that test they put in some racing oil, quiet pricey.

Millers nanodrive cfs I did a change to this after reading the same post/reviews. And yes quite pricey, cheapest online is tegiwa