What's new

Preface left round fog lamp upgrade to petrol oval lamp possible?

rhyeung

Members
Reaction score
Car
SPORT TOURER
Hi guys need some advice as today I was trying to replace the fog light bulbs to LED cree

Bought a pair of 50w high power fog light bulbs

Jack up the car !

Bumper half way off to gain access!

But unfortunately the bulb fitment was H3 55w 12v instead!! That means all the time I spent had been wasted!

I drilled off the outside screw to take out the plastic surrounding! Now make me think I should need new surrounding!

How about the oval one I found here!

As I need your guys advice, if the round plastic is identical to the round one, this possible to upgrade to it?

I believe the round ones are specific to the Diesel as the surround has holes and gaps for the air flow for the intercooler or something. I could be wrong though. The exec ones you link there are what you find on petrol execs only I think. I think they look nicer, but if my thoughts on the air flow are correct, you don't want them as you'll be starving your intercooler of much needed cool air flow.

But I could be completely wrong. Await someone else confirm this.

Steve you made a very good point, on the right hand plastic surrounding I has hole and gap let the cool air goes into! I was thinking to make some hole to these oval surrounding if I don't damage the lamp housing unit, and it's still make possibility

Steve is spot on. The front nearside fog light surround is open to allow air to flow to the inter cooler. If you get on your knees and look into the opening you'll see the inter cooler mounted to the upper right. I wouldn't want to start interfering with air flow as it overheating could land your wallet in a lot of pain!

Ok then, I'd say best leave it alone mate. I considered doing a breathing mod on my fog light surround, as it's kind of near my CAI. But when I took it out to fit the yellow tint, I realised that drilling holes was going to be problematic and a waste of time. There's actually not that much space to drill effective holes due to how the unit fits to the bumper. Therefore if you fitted and modded, I still think you'd end up with problems mate.

Ok mate! I giving it up, and the H11 LED bulbs is up for grab in sale section guys! Cheers Steve

from what i read here its more fun swimming across the English channel than messing around with fog lights.

toffee_pie said:
from what i read here its more fun swimming across the English channel than messing around with fog lights.
why do you say that Eric?

I never managed to remove mine from their plastic housing. Could take the unit out of the bumper easily enough, but the black plastic housing for the lamp was a different issue. The bolts that hold the actual light to the black plastic were so badly seized. Spent ages on it, just couldn't get the bolts to shift. They are fiddly and it made applying the tints seem like keyhole surgery :lol: .

After I search H3 LED cree bulbs and I come with this

Just have an other thought I'm going to second tackle if the bulb can fit the small lamp housing nicely.. What guys thinking? Will this make good look plus practical light as fog light?